1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Red Xs (?) - but only on eBay

Discussion in 'Internet Explorer & Microsoft Edge' started by indutch, 2005/12/18.

1. 2005/12/18
    indutch Lifetime Subscription

indutch Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Hello All -

I have a "Win XP Pro / eBay question" for you.

I don't do an awful lot of business on eBay but I do enough to make my problem a real PROBLEM to me!! :( Whenever I am on any of the eBay websites, the window I am looking at is covered with Xs. I haven't had this problem on any other website that I have visited since I started using Win XP Pro (sp2) about 3 months ago.

I am currently running a dual-boot system with Win XP Pro (sp2) and Win98SE. I also have "Computer Associates eTrust EZ Armor" (anti-virus and firewall) installed but I can't find any settings in Win XP or the ' "CA software" to change this maddening behavior.

To be honest, I haven't even tried to access eBay with Win98SE recently. However, the last time I did, in August, '05, there were no Xs diaplayed on the pages I saw. "Duh "!! What's the deal, here????

As always, any and all help will be greatly appreciated. TIA! :)

Mike

I'm sure this is a very simple fix, but . . . . . What am I missing or not doing right? I'm so :confused:!!!

2. 2005/12/18
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Mike
    I'm away from home at present on the laptop, but have CA on my desktop and experienced a similar problem here on the BBS. The key, in the firewall, is to allow popups/popunders and maybe banner ads too - can't remember offhand where the setting was, but a search of Help for popup or popunder should find it.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2005/12/18
    Welshjim

Welshjim Inactive

indutch--One of the first questions to ask is what images are represented by the RedX's. Right click|Properties on a redX. In the Address line you can see the origin of the image. If it is an advertisement, do you really care to see it? The blockage could be caused by a HOSTS file, restrictions on cookies (Privacy tab) or that the site is in Restricted Sites, etc.
    If the RedX's Properties indicate a legitimate image, have you tried clicking Refresh or right click|Show Picture?
    It could also be that you are not allowing ActiveX controls to run. An easy way to test that is to put EBay into Trusted Sites (shudder, shudder). If that works you could then adjust the "Run ActiveX controls and popups" setting in IE tools|Internet Options|Security tab|Custom Level. That will, of course, apply to all internet sites. Or just leave EBay in Trusted Sites.
    If all that does not work, then maybe the firewall or popup blocker is the problem.

5. 2005/12/19

Thanks Jim and Pete for responding. Putting eBay in the trusted sites zone seems to have fixed my problem. :)

I wasn't so much wanting to see the 'pictures' as I wasn't wanting to look at all those Xs.

6. 2005/12/19

Well, it seems that I spoke too soon. When I opened eBay this morning to check on an item all the Xs were back.

Now I'm really :confused:!! Any ideas?

Mike

7. 2005/12/19
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Checked the firewall settings?

8. 2005/12/19
    Welshjim

Welshjim Inactive

indutch--I have understood the problem only occurs on EBay and only some days. Correct?
    Did you try that?
    If that works, then there is a server problem (either your ISP's or Ebay's). Nothing you can do about that.
    If that does not help, I am stumped.
    PeteC's suggestion about the firewall should certainly be looked into.
    The hardest problems are "sometimes/limited-where" problems.

9. 2005/12/20

Thanks for the input Pete and Jim. :D :D I think I finally have this thing fixed. :)

When right-clicking to 'show picture' I got absolutely nothing. In properties it shows the X as "bug.cgi ". In my foggy brain I remembered something from MailWasher that blocked these 'web bugs' (1x1 pixel do-dads) from doing whatever it is that they do.

I opened the eTrust firewall control center and went looking for a 'web bug' setting. I found it under "Privacy ". I changed the setting to allow the little critters for eBay and all is well. Now I'm going to remove eBay from the "Trusted" zone and see what happens. If anything changes from what I have now I'll come back here and let you know. Otherwise, consider it "fixed ".

I wish you both a very happy holiday season and "Thanks ", again.

Mike

(After removing eBay from "trusted sites ", the Xs remain banished. 'Bout time!)

Last edited: 2005/12/20
  10. 2005/12/20
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Happy Holidays to you too, Mike. Glad you managed to nail the little critters :)

11. 2005/12/20
    Welshjim

Welshjim Inactive

indutch--Indeed, thanks for telling us what the problem and solution was.
    Now you have to decide if you can live with webbugs rather than RedX's. :)
    http://www.spywareinfo.com/articles/webbugs/
    If there was no worthwhile content under the RedX's I think I would rather have them!

12. 2005/12/21

Thank you both, WelshJim & PeteC!!

It's people like you that make WindowsBBS what it is today! You, along with many hundreds of others, help keep the rest of us informed, educated and on the 'straight and narrow'. Many, many thanks to you all!!

May you both, along with everyone else around this small world in the BBS community, have a wonderful and rewarding holiday season. :)

Thank you, again, for your many years of help and suggestions!! :) :D :)

Mike & Family