1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Sudden network problem - "Limited or no conectivity"

Discussion in 'Networking (Hardware & Software)' started by adamh128, 2005/12/12.

1. 2005/12/12
    adamh128

adamh128 Inactive Thread Starter

My PC is running MS Windows XP Pro SP2 for some time - everything was working fine, then a couple of days ago after a reboot, it failed to connect to my router saying "Limited or no connectivity" and has done ever since.

I am using DHCP to obtain an IP from my router.
    I have 3 PCs all configured the same, and the PC with the problem also has dual-boot with Linux. All other PCs work fine. Running Linux on the machine (configured the same as Windows) works fine - therefore I can rule-out H/W & cable problems, and router configuration problems.

I have tried configuring a static IP/subnet/gateway and DNS servers, I have also tried uninstalling and re-installing the NIC drivers, I have tried installing Microsoft patch (KB884020), and I have tried doing a "Repair" install using the XP Pro SP2 install CD. None of these has worked.

It is starting to drive me :mad: - I'd rather not have to blow away the installation if I can help it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Adam.

2. 2005/12/13
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2005/12/13
    adamh128

I already tried everything suggested on that thread before posting :(

Any other suggestions would be much appreciated.

5. 2005/12/13
    Dcrypter

Dcrypter Inactive

I found that XP likes to break network drivers. You can try removing TCP/IP reboot then reinstall it. Windows has probably corrupted the TCP/IP protocol which I have seen many times. Also if that doesn't work pull out your network card/disable in BIOS then reboot into windows. DO a shutdown and put in a different brand NIC boot back into windows and see if that works for you.

6. 2005/12/13
    adamh128

I haven't been able to find a way to remove TCP/IP - from http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;299357: "In Microsoft Windows XP, the TCP/IP stack is considered a core component of the operating system, and you cannot remove TCP/IP. "

I have already tried the following to reset the TCP/IP stack:
    [FONT= "Courier New"]netsh int ip reset <log filename>[/FONT]

again, this made no difference :-(

7. 2005/12/18
    maggie

maggie Inactive

8. 2005/12/18
    adamh128

Thanks for the link, but it hasn't made any difference :(
    I've run out of ideas now, I guess a re-install is the only way.

9. 2005/12/19
    SamayouSamurai

SamayouSamurai Inactive

Try this.

Put in another NIC into it to see if that works. If so there're couple things that cause this failure.
    1. You need Bios update on MB
    2. Your Chipset or your NIC chip on MB is overheating.
    This has happened to me. I moved 2 of my internal HD to 5.25 inch bay then the problem went away.
    3. Spyware removal has removed your good portion of TCP/IP stack.
    But you said you already re-install windows by doing Repair; that should take care of this issue.

10. 2005/12/20
    adamh128

1. I have the latest BIOS for my motherboard (just checked).

2. Don't think it's this as I've taken the side off the PC and am blowing a large desk fan into the case. Also, it works absolutely fine in Linux.

3. I have two spyware tools which haven't detected anything, and as already mentioned, reinstalled windows using the 'repair' option.

Thanks for the ideas though.