1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Need advice--Optical or Wireless Keyboards/Mice

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Welshjim, 2005/12/08.

1. 2005/12/08
    Welshjim

Welshjim Inactive Thread Starter

My old keyboard and mouse may not have long to last.
    When I buy new ones, should I buy optical? Should I buy wireless?
    Optical mice seem nice (though not really necessary).
    I have never used wireless versions of either.
    Any advice specific to the negatives of optical and/or wireless?
    Or are there only benefits?

2. 2005/12/08
    Christer

Christer Geek Member Staff

Wireless is freedom to move things around, not being restricted by the length of the wires (always too short). How many times have the wire to your mouse been tangled up? I don't know anything about "laser" opticals but they say the precision is better. I believe the "normal" optical mouse is OK unless you need the precision for CAD work (or anything else).

I bought a cheap Logitech (keyboard and mouse) and the mouse needs fresh batteries every 4-8 weeks depending on usage (no rechargable batteries and charger included in the cheap ones). I have bought rechargable batteries and a charger and adding that sum to the original purchase price would have ...... :rolleyes: ...... well, you know but I didn't need the fancy functions of the more expensive ones ...... :eek: ...... and I wanted a white one to not see the dust pile up.

Now, a wired mouse is really annoying!

Christer

By the way, this is my second wireless set but the first one had no optical mouse. Optical means no cleaning of the ball.

Last edited: 2005/12/08

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2005/12/08
    savagcl Lifetime Subscription

savagcl Geek Member

My sys came with a wireless mouse/keyboard.
    Must have been the cheapest ones available. Had to change batteries every
    2-3 weeks (but i'm online a lot). Finally went back to optical mouse and left
    keyboard wireless (dont do a lot of typing, havent changed batts for the
    keyboard yet).

Optical mouse dont bother me and i save a lot on batteries.

5. 2005/12/09
    Zander

Zander Geek Member Alumni

I've never used a wireless mouse or keyboard but I do have an optical mouse. If it ever dies on me I'll buy another one. As far as I'm concerned it's the only way to go. You don't need a mouse pad and it never needs cleaning aside from the occasional hair or something that might get in the way. When something does get on the eye of the mouse you'll know it. Your cursor will kind of go crazy. The solution is simple. Tip it over and blow on it and you're on your way again. This is rarely a problem though. Mine's an MS mouse and I can't really say what the other brands are like but I have no reason to believe they'd be any different. I've had it for a couple years now and it's still going strong.

6. 2005/12/09
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

Battery use had always been a mayor concern to me, since I'm roughly using my PC some 10-14 hours a day.

Last October I got a Optical Desktop with Fingerprint Reader.

The keyboard has a wire, but the mouse is wireless. According to the CP Applet, the battery status is still "Good" after 2 months of use, which is a welcome surprise to me.

I see that MS now indicates 6 months battery life with its latest wireless mice...

Oh, I've been using Optical Mice for years now, and would never go back to those "ball" type mice again. I'd have to clean those way to often, and the optical are much more precise too.

Arie,
  7. 2005/12/09
    Palmtree

Palmtree Inactive

Logitech has a wireless optical (laser) mouse with a charger in the receiver. I have one and it went without recharging for a couple of weeks before it needed charging. So now when I leave the system, I place the mouse in the charger dock.

On another system, I have a Logitech Cordless Mouseman Optical which has batteries and it goes about a month before the batteries need replacing.

Surely Logitech sells in Europe.

8. 2005/12/09
    Meli

Meli Inactive

I had to replace my wired mouse when it became damaged in July. I bought a Microsoft wireless optical mouse and I'm still running on the original batteries. Granted this is for my laptop, not the desktop, but I'm on the laptop almost every day sometimes extensively and have not had a problem; we're still going strong.

As far as mice go, my wired mouse (desktop) is optical and I will never go back to a regular mouse! And when this one dies, I'll replace it with a wireless model.

Meli,
  9. 2005/12/09
    -User-

-User- Inactive

Highly recommend a wired optical mouse, optical for the previously stated reasons, wired because the battery weight makes wireless sort of clunky, & the battery saver feature may cause initial response delay (sure did w/the one I tried). Using a Logitech MX500 (5/6 'buttons' working on XP w/out installing the software!), & am very happy w/it (the 'forward' & 'back' buttons on the side are a convenience I'ld now find hard to live w/out). Wireless sounds good for a keyboard, tho.

10. 2005/12/09
    martinr121 Lifetime Subscription

martinr121 Inactive

Hi Jim: I have a Logitec wireless optical mouse, rechargeable batteries and charger stand and wireless keyboard. I would never go back to a roller ball mouse. Cleaning it was a pain and I never knew if it was a dirty rollerball problem or something else wrong. I have had these wireless for over a year, and the keyboard batteries have yet to be recharged or replaced. The mouse is rechargeable in it's stand, but it runs so long between charges, I forget to put it in it's stand and leave it out running for days at a time. Then it reminds me the batteries are low. Still works though, have never had it quit. When I finish for the day, the blinking red light on top reminds me to recharge. Also, when it sits for a while, or after a re-boot, there is a very short, microsecond, first move only, response delay. Other than that, no delay, the response is faster than my old MSFT wired optical mouse.

As far as the wireless keyboard, I could live without it. I had visions of sitting back on the couch and working with the computer. No way, my vision either is not that good, or the monitor is too small to read from any distance. For whatever reason, I can't type very well with the keyboard on my lap anyhow. As long as the keyboard is at my desk, it could just as well be wired.

I can lean back in my chair though, and run the mouse on my leg, works just fine.

If you do get a wireless or optical keep your old PS2 roller ball mouse handy, there were a few times when I got in OS trouble the optical wouldn't work when the roller ball would. Saved my bacon.

Take care,

Martin

11. 2005/12/09
    Welshjim

Welshjim Inactive Thread Starter

Many thanks, everyone.
    Based on what you tell me, I think I will go with an optical, but wired mouse and a wired keyboard.
    Arie--that mouse with FPReader sounded enticing, but reviews on the internet suggested it was not very ergonomic. I gather you feel differently.

12. 2005/12/10
    olamoree

olamoree Inactive

Wires are sometimes necessary....

Keyboard....wireless.... always seems to be the last thing to load! So how do you get to your DEL key to fool with the BIOS if your wireless k/b hasn't loaded yet? The wireless folks say, "why, just plug in your wired PS/2 keyboard and hold down the DEL key!" Well, I still have the wired keyboard plugged in..... and now it's almost 2006.

Mouse.... wired too... PS/2 and yes, they DO make extension cords for them. I found a $3 "laptop" tiny scrolling optical mouse at a computer show a few years ago and it says, Optical Mouse CM103, made in China.... dang, should have got 10 of them for my friends.... it IS tiny! A little over an inch wide and about 2 1/2" long, very skinny wire, very light weight, works on Levi's, skin, wood, steel, paper, couch upholstery, etc. Never has failed.

Alternate.... wired "Hand Track Finger Mouse FDM-G11 ".... for when you are reared back, just surfin and don't need to type much....great for folks that have trouble with a regular mouse or can't keep their arm up on a table. A little bigger than a golf ball, PS/2, 3-button with track ball and fits over your index finger (right or left) and right under your thumb is the track ball, left click is in the hole your finger goes in and just a wiggle of your finger clicks it. It was a "gimmick" at a computer show, but I got TWO. No mouse pad or any surface required. Neat-o.

Ali

13. 2005/12/12
    Chiles4

Chiles4 Inactive

Well done, Padawan! Just kidding - I think you made a good decision. My favorite mouse is a wired Logitech optical that costs only $12. Had a friend who seriously messed up his thumb simply cuz his wireless mouse was too heavy - I know it sounds bizarre.

The arguments against a wireless mouse/keyboard are just too strong but then again, I do alot of gaming.

I also have to keep a PS/2 keyboard plugged in because I use a USB-only KVM and I can only get into the BIOS with my USB keyboard about once every 10-15 tries (and yeah, I have the BIOS settings right). But anyone who uses a KVM knows just how screwy these devices are.

Gary

14. 2005/12/12
    Christer

Christer Geek Member Staff

We all have different preferences, that why we have choices ...... :cool: ...... !

I don't like wired mice because when the wire obstructs motion ...... :( ...... if it wasn't dead already, I would kill it.

I don't like USB keyboards and mice because I'm a Ghost 2003 user. USB and DOS = problems (potentially at least). A friend has an USB keyboard but there is a PS/2 connector as well. Maybe my objection to USB is the reason.

...... :D ...... I've heard many versions of the theme "occupational injury" but this is a winner ...... :D ...... tell him/her to get some additional exercise for the thumb ...... ;) ...... I recommend hitch-hiking!

Christer

15. 2005/12/13
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

What did he do? Balance the mouse on his thumb all day :confused:

Doesn't matter IMHO if the mouse weight is 135gr (my current wireless including batteries) or 110gr (original IntelliMouse with ball).

16. 2005/12/13
    savagcl Lifetime Subscription

savagcl Geek Member

Interesting - self-inflicted?
    Must have gotten frustrated and slammed the mouse down onto the desktop
    with his thumb under it........

OR
    The mouse got mad and bites him on the thumb.....

OR
    Its carpal-tunnel (lousy spelling, excuse) of the thumb....

Not making fun of it, just random thoughts.

savagcl

17. 2005/12/14
    Scott Smith

Scott Smith Inactive Alumni