1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

How do I use a WHQL file?

Discussion in 'Other PC Software' started by g.watson, 2005/11/27.

1. 2005/11/27
    g.watson

g.watson Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I wanted to update my drivers for an Nvidia card, and went onto their corporate site to download an updated version. The download gave me an .exe file with WHQL in the name. (I scouted around Google to find out what WHQL means, so that's not the problem.) But when I run the .exe file it opens what appears to be a DOS window, runs a line (himem.sys) and then hangs and has to be killed. I opened it in Notepad: it appears to be an HTML file, but running it in IE gave the same result. I tried quarrying useful URLs from the HTML file, but that didn't help. So either (a) how do I run it?, or (b) if I can't, can I get hold of updated drivers in a more user-friendly format? Grateful for any advice!

2. 2005/11/27
    Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff

Did you follow these instructions:

Driver Installation Hints

"Download Accelerator" utilities should be disabled when downloading any drivers.

Do not run virus protection software in the background while installing the drivers. This prevents the driver from configuring itself properly.

Before installing new drivers make sure you uninstall all NVIDIA display drivers from the Windows Control Panel. Browse to the Start Menu > Windows Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs and search for "NVIDIA Windows Display Drivers" or "NVIDIA Display Drivers" and select remove.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2005/11/28
    g.watson

No, I confess I didn't. Didn't spot that page. I'll follow closely and report back (but it won't be immediately, as I'm out of town...). Thanks for pointing it out.

5. 2005/11/30
    g.watson

Yep - that fixed it! Sorry about that, Steve, and thanks... I guess the best reply to a FAQ is RTFM ;-)

6. 2005/11/30
    Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff

We love stories with happy endings ;)