1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Backing Up to CD

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by chickbull, 2005/11/16.

1. 2005/11/16
    chickbull

chickbull Inactive Thread Starter

I tried to back up to a CD on a new laptop and got an error message so I contaced the software tech service and got this reply.

<<Captool cannot backup directly to a CD-Rom drive, due to limitations with the programming language we used. What you'll need to do is send the backup file to a temporary folder on your C:\ drive, then use another program to burn the backup file to your CD for safekeeping. Should you need to restore, you can restore directly from the CD.>>

The lap top has a combination DVD+R/RW and CD-RW Combo Drive with double Layer Support. I don't understand why that won't work but if it doesn't, how would I go about doing what they say? Also, I just heard that there is something called a flash memory that you plug into the USB port and you can back up to that. Would that be something I should consider?

2. 2005/11/17
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

chickbull

A number of backup programs will not write directly to CD/DVD including Backup in Windows XP. To write directly to CD it is necessary to invoke burning software and these programs are not written to do that.

Make a folder on your hard drive called, say Captool Backup and make your backup to there. Then burn that folder to CD/DVD using your burning software.
    Yes, these devices are often referred to as pen drives - they come in a variety of sizes up to a Gb or more and plug into a USB port. The computer sees these devices as a drive and you can read/write from/to them as you would a hard drive. Many come with locking or encrypting software to secure the information on the drive from unauthorised access - if this is important to you check out the drive spec before you buy.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2005/11/17
    chickbull

<<<<Many come with locking or encrypting software to secure the information on the drive from unauthorised access - if this is important to you check out the drive spec before you buy.>>>

Thank you for your reply. I don't understand this comment. What does it mean about locking etc.?

5. 2005/11/17
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Essentially that the drive is password protected - the data may or may not be encrypted - file encryption in XP Pro ....
    HTH

6. 2005/11/17
    chickbull

I see, so I would have a choice if I buy the "pen drive" I can get on e with or without password protection.

Another question, I can backup the files from my Captools program to the CD-RW drive on my dell desktop but as I indicated I cannot back up the same files to the laptop CD-RW drive. Is that unusual? Shouldn't any CD-RW work the same as another?

7. 2005/11/18
    mattman

mattman Inactive Alumni

Are you using "Drag and Drop" directly onto the CD, or telling Captools to save them directly to the CDRW? I would then guess that it has something to do with a packet writer or is using the Windows XP built-in burning program.

To use a packet writing program the CDRW disk needs to be formatted first. The disk cannot be read by other computers unless they have a "packet reading" program.

The normal way to use CDR or CDRW disks is to use a burning program. You start the program, select the files, then tell the program to burn those files onto the disk. These disks should then be readable by all computers.

You will eventually run out of space using memory cards. They are relatively expensive compared to CD or HDD backup.

What burning software is installed on those machines? Maybe we can find some tutorials or information that will get you started.

Another way, maybe, would be to network the two computers and if the desktop has reasonable space on it's HDD, then backup the laptop to the desktop.

I came across a "backup" thread while I was looking:
    http://www.windowsbbs.com/showthread.php?t=36533

Matt

Last edited: 2005/11/18
  8. 2005/11/18
    chickbull

<<<he normal way to use CDR or CDRW disks is to use a burning program. You start the program, select the files, then tell the program to burn those files onto the disk. These disks should then be readable by all computers.>>

Is a "burning program" something I would have to buy and add to the computer? I don't really have alot to do and I know I or 2 disc would be all I need. The Captools program has backup and restore feature in the file menu. I simply click on backup and select all the files and put the destination disc directory where I have the CD-RW and it goes there. As I said, it works fine on the desktop but my new lap doesn't work that way. I was advised to send the backup file to a backup folder on the C drive then burn it to the CD. I haven't tried that yet. I guess I would show destination as C:\captool backup and run the captool back up. Then, should I just drag that file to the CD-RW drive? Should the disc be formatted? I would hope it could then be restored to another computer with the Captool program or dragged to Captools. I have a nervous feeling something bad can happen. Oh well, I'll try. Thanks for all your replies.

9. 2005/11/19
    mattman

mattman Inactive Alumni

First off, does the laptop run Windows XP? If so, try dragging a sample file onto a CDRW disk (or copy a file and paste it on the DVD/CDRW drive). It may need to start the burning "wizard" and so regconise the burner.
    I would expect the laptop manufacturer to use Ahead Nero or Roxio EasyCD (EasyDVD). Look through the program list for those names. Maybe go to the laptop manufacturer's website and do a search for "writing burning program" with the model number of your machine. It could also be listed under specifications (software?) for your model.

That is the theory. :) I would make a folder C:\Temp and put it there (I have a Temp or Tmp folder on all my drives so that I know it has been backed-up or is not something that is needed, it can be deleted when I search the drives doing "cleaning "). I may also direct to C:\Windows\Temp so that it can be deleted automatically during Windows cleanup (it may get lost in the other temp files unless you create a special folder for it).

That is a GOOD way too feel! If you backup, it does not matter what happpens, in a short while you will be back exactly where you were. Always think that your main harddrive will fail tomorrow (it could!! :rolleyes: ). I now have two computers that are virtually identical (and another that could backup those...mmmm...and CD backups :D ) What do they say?...You can't be too careful.

Matt

10. 2005/11/25
    Palmtree

Palmtree Inactive

Other ways of writing to a CD

I know for a fact that Ahead's Nero or Roxio's EasyCD or EasyDVD all support "packet writing" which allows the CD/DVD media to act like a big floppy or small hard drive. Surely your backup software could write to these drives. In Nero, the packet writing enabling software is called InCD. I have it running all the time. It does require that each piece of media be preformatted. For -RW media, the formatting can chew up over 100MB on a 700MB CD, but you can add and delete files forever and deleted files free up their space. On -R media, you can also add and delete, but the space for deleted files is lost forever (no rewriting!).

Once you initialize the media, it can be dismounted and remounted so reading and writing can take place any time and anywhere (other PCs for example).

To read the media, InCD, or Roxio's equivalent utility, must be running on the system. If you want to read the media on a system that doesn't have a license for your CD burner software, Ahead and Roxio supply a reading-only module at no extra charge with free distribution rights. I don't know that the two packet writing formats are inter-compatible, but they may be. It doesn't really matter though since you can distribute the reading-only module to anyone.

11. 2005/11/25
    James Martin

James Martin Geek Member

FWIW, I keep my sensitive data on a USB flash drive.......Beats floppy disks all to pieces.

12. 2005/11/25
    jaylach

jaylach Inactive

If you really want to back up to CD or DVD I would suggest getting Nero 6 Ultra!

Make sure that the version has BackItUp, not BackUp(I think that's the name of the cut down version). It allows full or selective backup directly to CD or DVD and the disc it makes is bootable. I have used it often for a beta testing HD that I have and have never had a failure useing it.