1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Error getting System Information

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by larsonjean, 2005/10/27.

1. 2005/10/27
    larsonjean

larsonjean Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Hi,
    I tried to go to System Information by going to Accessories, System Tools, but when I click System Information, it brings up the Help Screen. The screen does not show any of the information, but just sits at the help screen.

Does anyone know why I am not getting System Information. I'm running Windows XP, Home Edition.

In the Help Menu I searched for System Information and this is what was stated:
    Using System InformationSystem Information collects and displays your system configuration information. Support technicians require specific information about your computer so they can resolve your system problem. You can use System Information to quickly find the data they need.
    To open System Information, click Start, and then click Run. In the Open box, type msinfo32.exe. ​

The above didn't work either.

I have been taking an HP course on PC Troubleshooting and it said to do it the following way:
    In Windows XP, select Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Information to open a System Information window.​

Thanks for any help you can provide since I would like to open System Information and try to look at the tools the course is referring to.

Thank you.

Jean

2. 2005/10/28
    Flatiron2

Flatiron2 Well-Known Member

The same thing happened to me about 6 months ago. I've got XP Home!

I found this on google first,
    http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?threadid=128109&341d9eb01f69d688e98711c0e75fa836

Find these services and make sure they are set to Automatic:
    The Windows XP System Information utility (Msinfo32.exe) relies on certain services to supply it with information. If the services are not running—perhaps because of an earlier diagnostic start-up—System Information displays the error shown in the figure. To fix the problem, open Administrative Tools in the Control Panel and launch the Services applet. Locate the Event Log service in the list and double-click on it. Make sure its Startup type: is set to Automatic.

If its Service status does not display Started, click on the Start button. Repeat this process for the Windows Management Instrumentation service and for the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service. You may need to log off or restart your computer to regain access to the System Information utility.
    These services were set to automatic on my PC, so that was not the problem for me.

I tried this fix at Kelly's Korner, but it did not work for me.
    It might work for you though, maybe.
    Line 221 right side - Restore System Information(Msinfo32)
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    I found this workaround by bruzzes, temporaly.
    http://discussions.virtualdr.com/showthread.php?t=111211&page=2&pp=15&highlight=cant+run+msinfo32
    Down the page I found my solution, I got someone to email that index.dat file.
    from Vampirefo Posts: 38
    Mystery solved
    I finally figured it out, after running test after test. A index.dat file has been deleted, and that's why when some run msinfo32 they get the help center instead of system information.

I had this problem, and just now got it figured out, I restored a new image and system information was working great, I then ran Spider which cleans temp files, I saved the report rebooted and system information was not working.
    I looked at what spider deleted and I found it deleted a index.dat here E:\\WINDOWS\\PCHEALTH\\HELPCTR\\OfflineCache\\index.dat

I opened and image and restored just this dat, and now my system information is working, so this dat file is the cause for the problem.
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    If this works, keep a backup of that index.dat/index.txt file in a safe place.
    I've made several copies plus have a few copies at 2 different email addresses, just in case.
    The XP Pro indext.txt file did not work on my XP Home!

If you need a copy of that index.txt file, just post back and I'll get your
    emil address some how! I'd be more than happy to email it to you!

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2005/10/28
    goddez1

goddez1 Inactive

Just to expand on and offer a little more detail and a possible alternate workaround or fix on Flatiron2 excellent suggestion of replacing the index.dat, should this prove to be the root of your problem....

http://groups.google.com/group/micr...msinfo32.exe+XP&rnum=2&hl=en#015a7424ad7be02a

^Please notice the added conversational thread (found further towards the end of the above linked topic) that offers the suggestion that you can rebuild the index.dat, when a copy of the specific index.dat is not available or a viable solution, this is to rebuild the Help Center. The section is entitled "Alternately, a complete rebuild of Help Center
    (http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/Helpfix.txt) restores the index.dat ".

I haven't tried the above myself and can not verify whether this does work but I thought it was worth adding (in here) as an additional solution for the more adventurous.

Last edited: 2005/10/29
  5. 2005/10/29
    surferdude2

surferdude2 Inactive

An easy fix that has worked for others is to change the target for the System Information shortcut to read:

Code:
     "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\MSInfo\msinfo32.exe" /categories +all
    I agree, it is usually caused by deleting ALL of the index.dat files by using some 3rd party tool.

Last edited: 2005/10/29
  6. 2005/10/29
    larsonjean

Flatiron2
    I downloaded and installed Power Toys from this site:

Am I right?
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx

I downloaded it and installed Tweak UI. This is what it is:
    Tweak UI
    This PowerToy gives you access to system settings that are not exposed in the Windows XP default user interface, including mouse settings, Explorer settings, taskbar settings, and more.
    I can’t find it anywhere on my system to try to repair the problem.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Buck2
    The workaround that you sent from bruzzes works:
    I copied and pasted the following in the run box:
    msinfo32 /categories +all -loadedmodule

But as far as the rest that he was talking about, didn’t work on my system.

By going to the C/Windows/system32/dll cache and finding msinfo.exe and right clicking on it, we can create a shortcut. After the creation of the shortcut, we copy and paste the following path in the target window:

"C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\MSInfo\msinfo32.exe" /categories +all -loadedmodules

This shortcut with icon can now be placed on the desktop.

Clicking on the shortcut now gives us access to the correct page.

I was not able to find the above files that he was talking about.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I also checked my husband’s computer who is also using a Gateway Computer running Windows XP and the System Information didn’t work either, it just brought up a Help Screen
    Flatiron
    I tried this fix that you suggested:

Find these services and make sure they are set to Automatic:
    The Windows XP System Information utility (Msinfo32.exe) relies on certain services to supply it with information. If the services are not running—perhaps because of an earlier diagnostic start-up—System Information displays the error shown in the figure. To fix the problem, open Administrative Tools in the Control Panel and launch the Services applet. Locate the Event Log service in the list and double-click on it. Make sure its Startup type: is set to Automatic.

If its Service status does not display Started, click on the Start button. Repeat this process for the Windows Management Instrumentation service and for the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service. You may need to log off or restart your computer to regain access to the System Information utility.
    These services were set to automatic on my PC, so that was not the problem for me.

Event Log was - set to Automatic
    Windows Management Instrumentation "“ set to Automatic
    Remote Procedure Call (RPC) "“ did not have the option to set to Automatic (it is grayed out)
    Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Locator "“ was set manual, I set it to Automatic. (Since it didn’t work I changed it back to Manual)

I also went to the site below that you suggested:
    I tried this fix at Kelly's Korner, but it did not work for me.
    It might work for you though, maybe.
    Line 221 right side - Restore System Information(Msinfo32)
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
    I went to Line 221 on the right side "“ double clicked it , saved it to my desktop, double clicked in and inserted the information into the registry. IT MADE NO DIFFERENCE TO MY SYSTEM EITHER.

goddez1

I couldn’t figure out your suggestion of replacing the index.dat from the link you sent.
    http://groups.google.com/group/micr...15a7424ad7be02a

I also tried to rebuild the Help Center using the site you sent,
    (http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/Helpfix.txt) still no fix.

I also ran the System File Checker and had to put my windows CD in the drive to install files but still it didn’t fix the problem.

I have given up with the correct fix because I am able to use the temporary fix by running the following in the run box:
    msinfo32 /categories +all -loadedmodule

Thanks for all the help.

Jean

P.S. I just noticed another post from surferdude 2. I don't know how to make a target shortcut for the System Information. I'm just a casual user I'm afraid. :confused:

7. 2005/10/29
    Welshjim

Welshjim Inactive

larsonjean--Not too sure where things stand now.
    You reference a fix from Buck2
    but I do not see this in the thread. And then it seems that did not work anyway.
    A slight modification on what surferdude was suggesting is as follows:
    Copy the "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\MSInfo\msinfo32.exe" part of what was suggested, including quotes at the beginning and end. Now, Start|All Programs|Accessories|System Tools|right click on System Information|Properties|in the "Target" and "Start In" lines Paste what you have copied (including quotes)|Apply|OK.
    Now can you reach System Information (or msinfo32)?
    P.S. In the future, you should not try to delete index.dat folders. Nothing wrong with deleting the contents of a index.dat folders if you really want to delete (and will delete) the folder containing the index.dat folder, but don't delete the index.dat folder, itself.

8. 2005/10/29
    larsonjean

WelshJim,
    I'm sorry I didn't make myself clear when I referenced a fix from "bruzzes. "
    I meant Flatiron2 sent me to the following site where I was able to get the temporary fix. See Below from Flatiorn2's post:

I found this on google first,
    http://forums.techguy.org/showthrea...98711c0e75fa836
    then this site:
    http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?threadid=128109&341d9eb01f69d688e98711c0e75fa836
    A post from buck52 led me to the post from bruzzes.

Here's a workaroud that I fould at another site a while back...look at page 2 for a post by bruzzes (Here is this site:
    http://discussions.virtualdr.com/showthread.php?t=111211&page=2&pp=15&highlight=cant+run+msinfo32

Sorry this is so confusing.

I tried to do what you suggested to copy the
    "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\MSInfo\msinfo32.exe" in the Target and Start In lines with the quotes. I get an error window saying:
    Problem with Shortcut -
    The folder "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\MSInfo\msinfo32.exe" specified in the Start In box is not valid. Make sure that the folder exists and that the path is correct. What the Start In box said before I pasted the text you suggested was:
    "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\MSInfo "

I never intentionally deleted any index.dat folders. I wouldn't even know where to look for them but maybe when I use a Registry Cleaner and a "Cleanup" Disk cleaner these could have deleted them. I'm just not sure.

I think I will be happy to give up on this subject. I'm probably never going to use the System Information anyway except for the HP course I'm taking.

Thanks again for your time and trouble.

Jean

9. 2005/10/30
    bluzkat

bluzkat Inactive

quote from Jean's original post...

"I have been taking an HP course on PC Troubleshooting and it said to do it the following way:

In Windows XP, select Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Information to open a System Information window. "

For System Information use "Run" then type (without the "quotes ")
    "msinfo32 /nfo SysInfo "
    This will generate a report in C:\Documents and Settings\UserName called SysInfo.nfo, double click this file and it will bring up the system information you are trying to find. See attached screenshots, the second screenshot lists some of the switches to be used with msInfo32.
    HTH

B :cool:

10. 2005/10/30
    Flatiron2

I've only got a few minutes.

Look here>
    C:\WINDOWS\PCHEALTH\HELPCTR\OfflineCache
    right click on index.dat file>Open>Select the program from a list>
    un-check Always use the selectd program etc>highlight Notepad>Ok

If it doesn't look similar to this>
    See Screenshot
    http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y107/Flatiron2/indexdat.jpg
    That's your problem!

I'll check back tonight or tomorrow!

11. 2005/10/30
    larsonjean

Mr. B
    I ran what you told me to do "msinfo32 /nfo SysInfo" and it did indeed generate a system information document. This could be another work-around. It did take awhile to open but it did look exactly like your attachment. Thank you.

Flatiron2
    You told me to:
    Look here
    right click on index.dat file>Open>Select the program from a list>

I did go as far as

But I couldn’t click on index.dat file because there was no index.dat file in the folder. The only folder that is there is something called \Personal_32#0409

I’m sure I have lost the index.dat file because I looked at the option on the CCleaner, I have been using and the box was checked to clean index.dat files.

Where can I get another index.dat file to put in the C:\WINDOWS\PCHEALTH\HELPCTR\OfflineCache

Sorry to be such a problem. Thanks again for everyone’s help.

Jean

12. 2005/10/30
    Flatiron2

First check your Private Messages!
    Click on my name>View Profile>Send me an email, then I'll send you a copy
    of that index.dat file. :)

Last edited: 2005/10/30
  13. 2005/10/31
    lj50 Lifetime Subscription

lj50 SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Start\All Programs\Accessories\System Tools. Right click on System Information\Properties. In the Target box right after \msinfo32.exe" add "%1" so it looks like this \msinfo32.exe" "%1" then click Apply and then OK. It worked for me I hope this works for you. If you tried this already. Please accept my apologies.

14. 2005/10/31
    bluzkat

bluzkat Inactive

lj50,

That works great... nice call.

B

15. 2005/10/31
    larsonjean

Thanks to Flatiron2 for fixing my problem. He sent me through e-mail his index.dat file and I moved it in C:\WINDOWS\PCHEALTH\HELPCTR\OfflineCache and went to Accessories, System Tools, and when I clicked System Information, it took a minute but the right screen came up.

Thanks to all who helped me solve this problem, especially Flatiron2. I will try to make sure that none of the cleanup programs I use deletes the index.dat files.

Jean