1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Router - Firewall?

Discussion in 'Networking (Hardware & Software)' started by James, 2005/10/15.

1. 2005/10/15
    James

James Inactive Thread Starter

My wife and I are networked through a Linksys router (hard wired rather than wireless). The Linksys router is the Wireless G broadband router (which as I've said, gives the option of hardwiring together). It has an easy set-up button that when pressed will find both computers and automatically configure the settings. All is working well... no problems. My question is... does this router automatically act as a hardware firewall?

Moved to Networking

2. 2005/10/15
    Scott Smith

Scott Smith Inactive Alumni

In one word Yes.

It makes your machines physically invisible to the internet.

The diffrence between that peice and a 3000 dollar corporate firewall is intelligence and manageabuility.

Your firewall will stop almost any inbound traffic but probably wont stop any outbound traffic. So if you had a trojan on your machine sending requests out to the internet the firewall isnt smart enough to stop it.

So as long as you have good Anti Virus, Good Anti Spyware your in pretty good shape.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2005/10/15
    James

James Inactive Thread Starter

Thanks, Scott. I sort of figured this was the answer but I wanted it confirmed. Yes... I have a software internet security suite (F-Secure) and run Ad-aware and Spyblaster as well as CounterSpy so I think I'm well protected.

5. 2005/11/14
    trevor56jones

trevor56jones Inactive

having problems transferring photos to cd-r can any one help,tried different
    software , :confused:

6. 2005/11/14
    Newt

Newt Inactive

Hi trevor56jones and welcome to the forum.

You need to start a new topic for your question and probably some place other than Networking unless you are trying to go from files on PC-A to a CD attached to PC-B. The section for your OS would probably be good if it is not a networking issue.

Newt,