1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Simple File sharing off leads to probs with network sharing

Discussion in 'Networking (Hardware & Software)' started by ozmart2004, 2005/10/07.

1. 2005/10/07
    ozmart2004

ozmart2004 Inactive Thread Starter

I recently turned off simple file sharing so that I could administer permissions for an app I have runing on Apache on my pc. (PC1)

That was fine but since then, when I access the shared folder (network share) on this same machine from another pc (PC2), I get error messages trying to transfer mp3 files (and only mp3 files!) - "Access is denied ".

I'm guessing that I don't have the right permissions now to copy the mp3s over to PC2. There doesn't seem to be a way to add permissions on PC1 to my user on PC2. (In the PROPERTIES>SECURITY tab of the mp3 file, if I try and add a new object it seems only possible to add one from the current location.)

Hope I have made the problem clear. Is there a way around this apart from turning simple file sharing back on?

Thks

2. 2005/10/08
    maggie

maggie Inactive

Try going into the share and security and see if there is a $ in the name. If there is then click add new share. This will give Everyone access) Give it a new name. Change the permissions.
    Or:
    Check the permissions on the profile trying to access the share.
    Make sure the at least "change and read" are checked. Reboot the computers when everything is changed.
    Make sure you are doing all this in an Administrator Profile.
    Two good links
    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_filesharing/index.htm
    http://forums.practicallynetworked.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=833

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2005/10/08
    ozmart2004

Thks will try that. Cheers.

5. 2005/10/08
    skeet6961

skeet6961 Inactive

are the account equal on both machines? if not, u can make them so - same username/password - and u'r problem should go away given u'r share permissions are ok.

there's the 'share permisions' which define who can access the share and what rights they have and there's the local file permissions. the share level stuff is done thru the SHARE tab's PERMISSIONS button and defaults to 'everyone' having 'read' permissions so they can see file on the share. the local security permissions is defined by the SECURITY tab's PERMISSIONS dialog.

so if u've got the same username/password on both machines, have u'r accountname listed in the SHARE permissions as 'read/write' so u can read and write the share w/ that account and u've got the local perms to at least read/write, u shoud be fine.

from what u describe, i'd bet that u'r local perms don't include the account specifically or u'r username/password are not the same on both pcs.

6. 2005/10/10
    ozmart2004

MMM...well actually I don't have passwords on either machine because I don't need them. My user just logs in on both machines. Two of my kids also have accounts on the second PC, also without passwords.

Some files did not like being moved around between machines mainly MP3s and MPEGS but a few others too. Didn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it.
    I discovered that if I edited the individual permissions on each files then I could get them to move.

Now the biggest problem is getting my network printer to work again!!! Its connected to PC1 but on PC 2 when I try to add it, Windows can't find it on the network. When I add the details manually \\SERVER\printername it asks for a user name and password to connect to PC1 (but I don't use a password)
    If I chuck in my admin password it adds the printer but won't print anything. I have added everyone I can (guest, network, everyone and all the users) and given them all full permissions, but it won't print a thing.

This has me stumped. These permissions are bloody infuriating, they are so uneccesarilly complicated. The problem is, when I switch back to simple file sharing I still can't seem to get anything to work like it used to!

I've been trying everything but am just banging my head against a brick wall. HELP!

7. 2005/10/12
    skeet6961

skeet6961 Inactive

create passwords. win on networks w/ xp almost requires them. this will fix u'r issues. make em the same on both machines and u'r pretty much done as long as u'r accounts are equal and permissions proper.

re: printers on xp - if u do as above w/ accounts credentials, all u gotta do after u logon to attach the printer is:

start/run \\machine_name\printer_name

where machine_name is the one that has the printer and printer_name is the name u 'shared' it as.

Last edited: 2005/10/12
  8. 2005/10/12
    ozmart2004

ok, thanks