1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Auto Complete not working

Discussion in 'Internet Explorer & Microsoft Edge' started by paulbristow, 2005/09/23.

1. 2005/09/23
    paulbristow

paulbristow Well-Known Member Thread Starter

For some reason Auto Complete is not working although in Internet Options all of the boxes are ticked to save passwords etc, windows even asks me if I want to save a password.

Any ideas, maybe a registry tweak.....

Paul

2. 2005/09/23
    pro1driver

pro1driver Inactive

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2005/09/23
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

5. 2005/09/24
    paulbristow

I already tried TweakUI and the AutoComplete box was ticked also looked at the Microsoft Knowledge page and the reg key I was asked to remove, I could not as deletion was denied.

Just tried Auto Complete and still not working
    Paul

6. 2005/09/24
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

You may well need to be logged in with Administrative rights to alter the registry. Don't forget to back up (export) the string first.

7. 2005/09/25
    paulbristow

Pete

Yes I am aware of the issues, but I cannot still remove reg key, looks like auto complete is never going to work, the annoying thing is this is a new build and there is no reason why it should have not worked....

Paul

8. 2005/10/14
    Brett63

Brett63 Inactive

I have the same problem with AutoComplete not working on IE 6 but I am running Win2k. Any thoughts? I could not find any Knowledge Base tips for this problem in 2K.

Last edited: 2005/10/14
  9. 2005/10/29
    Brett63

Brett63 Inactive

Don't know if this is a moot issue by now but I found a solution. I am running Win2k sp4 and logged in as Administrator. AutoComplete would not work for any passwords/login names, address bar URLs or web page forms. I created another user account and logged in on the new account and AutoComplete works perfectly. I don't know if there is something weird with 2k and the Admin account but my newly created Standard User account work fine. :)

10. 2005/11/11
    aneill

aneill Inactive

Auto Complete Failure

I've been trying to get Auto Complete to work for months. This is really annoying. I too purchased a brand new system from Dell with XP Pro and SP2. There must be something that they've downloaded with updates that kills AutoComplete. My old HomeEditition system worked well with SP2. The HD failed so I bought a new computer. I am ****** and would welcome new suggestions. I've tried all the registry edit and settings recommendations. AutoFill works. Autocomplete does not. In other words, web pages that I go to all the time will not fill in username and password info. automatically.

11. 2005/11/11
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

A couple of suggestions I trawled up from here - Search for Autocomplete in Internet Explorer 6 General

Start > Run > type in services.msc

Scroll down to Protected Storage and make sure that it's set to Automatic Startup and is running.

AutoComplete Does Not Save Username and Password

12. 2005/11/11
    MerleOne

MerleOne Inactive

Not really a solution for this problem, but you can always give a try to Firefox which has a very efficient autocomplete feature, independant from the one used by Windows.

.merle1.

13. 2005/11/11
    Mr. Fix It

Mr. Fix It Inactive

... perhaps your security settings are not allowing auto complete ,,, just a gander ... there are some cases in which auto complete is not allowed +++ such as a website with tight security === you are the only one using your computer??? --- There are no other user accounts - correct?

14. 2005/11/11
    paulbristow

You mention that:

Start > Run > type in services.msc

Scroll down to Protected Storage and make sure that it's set to Automatic Startup and is running.

That would be nice but it is missing this may be my problem any ideas how I re-instate it.

Also tried:
    Regsvr32 /u RSABase.dll
    But I get the message back that the required module is missing.

Paul

15. 2005/11/12
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Protected Storage runs as lsass.exe - have a look in Task Manager and see if it is running. If there is no sign of it there search your drive - it should be in ...

C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache\lsass.exe

Any other location indicates a trojan or virus

If it is not present in C:\WINDOWS\system32 I suggest you run System File Checker ...

Start > Run > type in sfc /scannow noting the space before the forward slash and have your XP CD handy. SFC will run and exit without any closing dialogue. To see which files, if any were replaced look in Event Viewer.
    That article from MS references IE 5.0. 5.5 - the solution might have worked on 6.0, but it would appear that RSABase.dll is not in 6.0 - not found on my system either.

16. 2005/11/12
    paulbristow

Pete

I checked for the following files:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache\lsass.exe

and they are where they should be and the correct versions using sfc /scannow it appears that auto complete will not work on my system, I cannot understand why the Protected Storage is not running from services.msc.

I will continue to look for a solution, so any more ideas would be useful

Paul

17. 2005/11/12
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Paul

I suggest you start a new thread in the XP forum re. missing Protected Storage in Services.

Please mention which version of XP you are running.

18. 2005/11/16
    paulbristow