1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Backup Dell-Installed Programs routine "pops" up and interferes

Discussion in 'Other PC Software' started by skaler2k, 2005/09/08.

1. 2005/09/08
    skaler2k

skaler2k Well-Known Member Thread Starter

For a few months now, whenever I attempt to launch Spyware Blaster, I get an unsolicited launch of the Backup of Dell-Installed Programs routine which first shows a box that says "Please wait while Windows configures Backup Dell...) Then I get a box that says "The feature you are trying to use is on a CD rom or other removable disk that is not available. Insert the Backup Dell... disk and click ok. I've learned to just click cancel with each of these boxes, and then I can finally get to SpyWare Blaster, which has also loaded up. I've learned to tolerate this intererence because clicking cancel two or three times is not such a big deal. A couple of days ago, I downloaded and installed Microsoft's AntiSpyware(Beta1), and it too is first pre-empted by the Backup Dell-Installed Programs routine. Not only that, but launching Quick scan from within the microsoft program launches the backup Dell program yet again.
    These are the only two programs that cause the Dell routine to come up. I bought this computer second hand, and it works great, otherwise. It is a Dell Dimension 8250 with a P4-3.06, and a gig of RDRAM, a nice video card, etc. For many months, it worked flawlessly, and I believe that, for a while, launching Spyware Blaster worked normally. I don't recall how many weeks or months down the road this annoying pop up began. I can't find the "Backup Dell Installed Programs" program under add/remove in the control panel, and don't really know where else to look. I have never used it to actually backup anything, so I would like to "kill" it, one way or another-either by disabling it or by removing it. Mainly, I'd like to stop the interference with SpyWare Blaster and Microsoft's AntiSpyware. As I mentioned, all of my other programs launch uneventfully. Thanks.
    PS, I just noticed that I'm a senior member. Believe me, I'm as green as ever.

2. 2005/09/08
    markp62

markp62 Geek Member Alumni

You aren't alone on this. You can try this.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;290301

The above URL is for the Windows Installer cleanup utility. Install this,
    and find the listing for the Dell backup program. Remove just that entry in
    the list. I would then advise uninstalling the Windows Installer cleanup
    utility--it can be dangerous if abused, and you don't really need it lying
    around.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2005/09/12
    skaler2k

skaler2k Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Interfering Dell Backup Program

Thanks Markp62. It worked! I appreciate it.
    Kindest regards,
    Vic