1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Icons on Desktop have increased in size?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Adam Isa, 2005/08/31.

1. 2005/08/31
    Adam Isa

Adam Isa Inactive Thread Starter

The icons on my desktop have increased in size and now look blurred and pixelated. here is a screen shot of the problem;

Fat Icons

I have been to Control Panel> Accessibility Options but can't seem to find an option to make it smaller?

2. 2005/08/31
    Welshjim

Welshjim Inactive

enrique86--I cannot see the image when I click that link. Is the link correct? (I see you have coded the link in HTML, but this board does not use HTML. Not sure if that is the problem. Perhaps try using the Posting Rules for right under the Post Reply box.)
    Anyway, I therefore do not know how serious the FatIcon problem is.
    Have you tried right clicking Desktop|Properties|Appearance tab|Advanced|Item dropdown list|click Icon|change size,etc.?
    P.S. I am interested in your using ImageShack and the problem you may be having getting an image to show correctly. I have been considering using ImageShack.

Last edited: 2005/08/31

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2005/08/31
    Newt

Newt Inactive

Jim - I missed it my first try and maybe the same thing happened to you. His picture of the taskbar was obvious but I was looking for a more 'square' photo and passed over the taskbar as being part of the hosting screen.

Newt,
  5. 2005/08/31
    Adam Isa

The link works when I click on the link, but because it's only the task bar, you may have missed it. Anyway, thanks for the replies, but I have now solved the issue. I simply went to theme's, changed it, and then changed it back and the task bar icons went back to there original size. Thanks anyway. Welshjim, as for I'm ImageShack, I use these on a regular basis and they are excellent, I have not had one problem with them so far, and I would recommend them.

6. 2005/08/31
    BillyBob Lifetime Subscription

BillyBob Inactive

AH ??? Am I miss-reading something ?

You Meniton Desktop but show us a pix of the Taskbar which is separate from the Desktop.

You might give a try at grabbing the top edge with the mouse and increasing the height.

If I am thinking wrong, then I appoligize ahead of time.

BillyBob

7. 2005/08/31
    oshwyn5

oshwyn5 Inactive

My guess is that either one of two things happened.

Your video card driver got corrupted and you are now running with the safe mode vga generic driver.

Right click your desktop/ choose properties/ settings and try increasing your resolution and color depth.
    If it does not work, then you need to reinstall the drivers.
    [http://www.snapfiles.com/get/everest.html
    Will help you identify it and give you a link to the manufacturers download site.

The other likely cause is your shell icon cache got damaged. You can use the rebuild feature in Tweakui
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/powertoys.asp

Download and install and it will be start/ programs/ powertoys/ tweakui

At bottom left will be the repair option, select that, use the dropdown on right move the choice to rebuild icons , and click repair now.

8. 2005/08/31

BillyBob Inactive

I think what Newt and I were looking for was something like the one shown

Here in reply 12.

Which is an actuall desktop.

BillyBob

9. 2005/08/31
    Welshjim

Welshjim Inactive

Newt--Thanks for the clarification. I guess those Taskbar icons do not look much different than mine do. My gosh, I have FatIcon Syndrome.

10. 2005/08/31
    Adam Isa

Yes, I meant task bar. And instead of being like this;

Normal Sized Icons

They was like this;

Fat Icons

Everything is restored now though.

Last edited: 2005/08/31
  11. 2005/08/31

BillyBob Inactive

OK folks I may be quite confused. Or may not even know what I am doing ( or looking at ) Or I might just be learning something new.

Something did not look right to me so I printed out the two Taskbars and and set the one over the other.

The impression that I get is that they are two totaly different taskbars. I believe ( but not sure ) that XP has that capability.

For one thing , the icons at the left of the >> are a different combination and a different order.

The Icons at the far right are also in a different order.

BillyBob

12. 2005/09/01
    Welshjim

Welshjim Inactive

enrique8--Not sure if this is going to help, but right click a blank spot on the Taskbar|Properties|StartMenu tab|Customize. This window gives you an opportunity to change icon size for the Start menu. Might also change the taskbar icon size.

13. 2005/09/04
    Adam Isa

I don't mean to be an ass anyone, but I solved the problem days ago.

14. 2005/09/04
    Welshjim

Welshjim Inactive

enrique86--Would you like to tell us what the fix was?

15. 2005/09/04
    Adam Isa

Certainly Welshjim:

So, I went to themes from the Control Panel, selected themes, chosen a different theme, applied it to a different one, and then back again and the problem was solved. Hope this helps others.