1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Can MS Outlook Express automatically notify you of emails?

Discussion in 'Internet Explorer & Microsoft Edge' started by robls99, 2005/08/23.

1. 2005/08/23
    robls99 Lifetime Subscription

robls99 Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I am using IE6. Is there any way of being automatically notified in Outlook Express when you have an incoming email?

thanks

2. 2005/08/23
    Welshjim

Welshjim Inactive

robls99--If you have turned OE on, I think you will automatically get a notification icon in the Notification Area (formerly Systems Tray--by the clock). However, possibly you have turned that off. Right click in a blank spot in the Taskbar|Properties|Customize|in the Behavior column make sure "You have new Mail" is set to "Always Show ".
    But you must turn OE on. This does not work if OE is offline.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2005/08/27
    robls99 Lifetime Subscription

robls99 Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Thanks. I see the new email message when OE is up but l was hoping to be notified even if it wasn't up but I guess that is not to be.

Rob

5. 2005/08/28
    Newt

Newt Inactive

When new email is sent to you, it goes to your ISPs mail server and there it sits until you open a mail client that knows where and how to check for new mail addressed to you. Effectively, YOU haven't received the mail until you've done that.

Newt,
  6. 2005/08/28
    Miz

Miz Inactive Alumni

You might want to use HideOE.

It will minimize Outlook Express to the system tray/notification area but leave it running enough to check for mail according to the schedule you've set for it in Tools>Options>General tab. One click on the HideOE icon will open Outlook Express, another click minimizes it again.

I use it and it works as advertised. Even better, it's free.

Miz,
  7. 2005/08/28
    oshwyn5

oshwyn5 Inactive

For things like this I recommend installing a great small utility
    Powermenu from Tummy

This means you can leave an application running and instead of having a minimized window taskbar entry , it just has an icon in the system tray/notification area.
    It also allows you to adjust the transparancy of a window and to lock one on top so you can read one window while working in another.