1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Network crashes during File Transfers

Discussion in 'Networking (Hardware & Software)' started by Lysimachus, 2005/08/09.

1. 2005/08/09
    Lysimachus

Lysimachus Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I have a BEFSR41 router, with two Windows XP Pro comps networked together with Simple File Sharing enabled and Printer Sharing enabled. I've got all the drives mapped between the computers, and I have always been able to seemlessly transfer data between the two computers (so I remember), until lately.

When I drag a folder/file from one of the computers to transfer to the other computer, transfer is usually successful if the file is not too large. However, lately I notice that if it is over 200 megs or beyond, the network crashes, and I lose the transfer. Suddenly the only way to restore my network (otherwise all network drives are inaccessible) is to restart the computer. I've found that I have to drag smaller amounts at a time (less than 100 megs) if I don't want the network to crash. I'm not understanding why this is happening, as I don't recall it happening before.

It seems I also lose my Internet connection on one of the comps (the computer that I'm always transferring the data from) when this happens. But after restart, back to normal until I attempted to trasfer more large files. I'm using static addresses with my router for the LAN.

Anyone else experience this? What do you think could be the factors?

Last edited: 2005/08/09
  2. 2005/08/09
    Newt

Newt Inactive

First thing to try is on both PCs, set the network cards for 100Mbps Full Duplex. They probably have speed and duplexing set on Auto now. Depending on the cards you have, this may be a combined setting or may be two different settings.

If the problem persists, back both cards off to the slowest speed they can manage so 10Mbps Half Duplex. If that works, you are probably dealing with a bad network cable or physically damaged ports on either the router/switch or the NICs.

Your systems should be able to run at 100Mbps Full without problems and should be able to move any amounts of data without failures.

If no luck with speeds or with different cables, we'll have to start looking at some sort of buffer overflow. There may be specific errors in your event logs that have details. Start->Run->eventvwr.msc will let you take a look.

Newt,

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2005/08/09
    Lysimachus

Alright, I forced them both to 100 Full Duplex, but that made problems even worse. Transferring the same files that would say "9 minutes remaining" now say "147 minutes remaining ", and trasferring the files (although no termination in transfer) is like hundreds of times slower. Keeping it on auto made it go much faster.

5. 2005/08/09
    Lysimachus

Alright, I switched both NICs back to auto, and now files once again transfer at fast speeds like before, but still end up terminating when too large. I just discovered that I lose Internet Connection too on my second comp after this happens, let alone loss of Network Connection. It seems as though resetting my router solves the Network Issue, but does not prevent the problem from happening again after trasferring large files.

6. 2005/08/09
    Lysimachus

Upon further examination, no I just don't reset the router. I have to reboot the comp that looses the Internet connection before a new connection can be established.

As far as I'm concerned, none of my cables are bad. The lights are constantly on and always green (no red Xs).

Is it just normal for large file transfer to bottleneck? so therefore it means I should transfer smaller amounts at a time instead of like, say 500 megs?

7. 2005/08/09
    TJ-IT

TJ-IT Inactive

I had a similar problem with that router, updating the firmware cured it fully.

8. 2005/08/09
    BillyBob Lifetime Subscription

BillyBob Inactive

By having the drives Mapped and transfering files back and forth I can't help but ask.

Do you have a good solid and reliable Anti-Virus program in service ?

I myself have the same router with three machines and a printer working through it but I have nothing Mapped or shared. Execpt at times I do temporarily set a drive to be shared so I can transfer files. Then I unshare it.

And file transfers are no problem.

BillyBob

9. 2005/08/09
    Scott Smith

Scott Smith Inactive Alumni

10. 2005/08/10
    Newt

Newt Inactive

Yup Scott. I agree.

Lysimachus - you can try 10Mbps half duplex (the slowest setting) and things will probably get some better but that's a horrible way to have to run so I'd suggest investing in a new cable and figuring out which one is bad. Maybe even a pair of new cables if they were home built.

Newt,
  11. 2005/08/14
    Lysimachus

Hi guys, thanks for your responses. There are 2 main questions that were asked me which I will now answer:

1. Do I have a good solid Anti-Virus Program service?

I simply have Trend Micro Internet Security 2004, with the latest definitions to date on my first computer. It catches most viruses and spyware in action. Should I have it setup in some special way for networks? For my second computer, I simply have the free version of AVG scanner. I don't have money to buy any other anti-virus progs at this time. Hopefully what I have is sufficient enough.

2. Are my cables Factory Made or Home Made?

They are home-made Cat-5 cables. I made them all, and it was a lot of work. However, with several of my cables, the NIC led light will turn off if I barely bump them. Then, when I wiggle the cable, the light comes back on. Problem is, this seems to happen no matter how many new cables I make. Perhaps I'm not crimping them hard enough. Not only do I have my computers networked, I have Cat5 Cables running through the attic, and through walls from upstairs to downstairs. They are terminated on both ends with wall jacks, so all I have to do is plug my router into the wall on one end. I highly doubt there would be a problem with the cable I ran through the walls. I terminated them so securely...I can't imagine them having a problem. If they are the problem, then I'm French Toast, because you guys have no idea what a headache it was wiring them! All I know is that several of the cables I make that connect between the router and computers (with plug heads) tend to give out when I bump them easily. Should I just replace them with store boughten cables?

Last edited: 2005/08/14
  12. 2005/08/14
    Lysimachus

Also, one other thing. The Linksys BEFSR41 router I have is Version 2.0. When I checked like a year ago, they didn't even have updated firmware for that router. Only for the 3.0 and higher versions...Or am I missing something?

[edit]

Sure enough, take a look...http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Sate...835852&pagename=Linksys/Common/VisitorWrapper

Do you see version 2.0 listed in there? All I see are available updates for Version 1.0, 3.0, or 4.0!!!! This is insane!

Last edited: 2005/08/14
  13. 2005/08/14
    BillyBob Lifetime Subscription

BillyBob Inactive

I believe that should be installed on both PCs. Because being connected to a Router the 2nd machine bypasses the first when going to the Internet.

I personaly would say YES. replace them.

BUT; Please be aware that I myself had problems with one store bought cable. ( Linksys ) When I took it back the clerk gave me no hassle cause she had FOUR more of the same length ( 25ft ) that had been returned that day.

And like yourself it was not fun replacing it down through the floor and across the basement and back up. But of course proved to be worth it.

BillyBob

14. 2005/08/14
    Lysimachus

I'll definitely try replacing the cables...*prays they are only the cables terminated between router and wall*....

As for the firmware, I called Linksys and they gave me the FTP site for the latest firmware for Version 2.0. So I updated it... I'm shocked they don't even have it listed on the Linksys site....why show Version 1.0 and not 2.0?

15. 2005/08/14
    Scott Smith

16. 2005/08/14
    Lysimachus

My degree in networking comprised of Network Cabling classes...

I utilized that knowledge in wiring my own home. I always use the 568-B standard. It may be my "el-cheapo" plastic crimping tool that is causing my cables to not be of the quality expected of them. I always make sure the wires are even and snug at the ends. But most of them are still extremely sensitive to the slightest movements...and will turn off and on upon bumping them. Some days they won't turn off no matter how much you wiggle them. Other days they are horrible.

*pulls hair!*

*runs to the store to buy pre-made cables*

17. 2005/08/14
    Scott Smith

Sorry didn't know you were experienced.
    Going behind other people I have seen every way imagineable to mess one up.

I had a Telephone Veteran try to tell me the order didnt matter as long as they were the same on both ends. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

MY BEST FRIEND