1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Booting with network connected fails

Discussion in 'Windows Server System' started by Sue, 2005/08/02.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2005/08/02
    Sue

Sue Inactive Thread Starter

I have a windows 2003 file and print server. It locked up, so I rebooted it. On the boot it locks up when it get to "network connections" right before the sign on.

If I disconnect the network cable it boots fine. If I try to go into network properties, it locks up.

Any ideas? Nothing shows up in event viewer.

Sue,
  2. 2005/08/02
    Scott Smith

Scott Smith Inactive Alumni

Just for kicks and giggles boot in safe and uninstall the NIC.

Is the NIC intigrated or stand alone?

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2005/08/03
    Sue

I tried everything on this server. safe mode - uninstalled the driver and reinstalled them. The network card shows up under device manager, but I could not get into network properties.

I spent hours on the phone with HP. They told me to reinstall the OS. So I gave in and call Microsoft. The tech new exactly what the problem was. He said that he seen it hundreds of times in the last few days.

It was the UPS software. . Apparently they put out a bad upgrade. He had me go into MSConfig and uncheck it. Then uninstall the software.
    Booted like a charm. He said to reinstall the software but to be sure it does NOT do updates ever.

Thanks

Sue,
  5. 2005/08/03
    clayton

clayton Inactive

Check your DNS settings. Usualy this happens when a machine is groping around for the domain controller.

6. 2005/08/03
    Sue

When I was havng all the problems, I couldn't check the dns settings. I couldn't get into network properties. It wasn't until after I uninstalled the APC software that I could get into the dns settings.

I had removed the network drivers in safe mode, so once I uninstalled APC and rebooted, I was able to re addd the dns settings.

Sue,
  7. 2005/08/03
    Scott Smith

Scott Smith Inactive Alumni

Wow that's interesting. "whoed a thunk it "
    Thinking back can you see were this all started?

8. 2005/08/05
    Sue

The server worked great on Friday. Monday when I came to work, it couldn't be seen on the network. That is when it all started.

Sue,
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.