1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Connecting to the internet on Startup

Discussion in 'General Internet' started by Prophecy, 2005/07/13.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2005/07/13
    Prophecy

Prophecy Inactive Thread Starter

Hey,

Ive been trying to get my computer to connect to the internet when it starts up. But so far havent managed it. Ive tried copying the connection over to the startup folder and telling it to dial without prompting, but for some reason it doesnt load up the dialing wizard. Does anybody have any suggestions?? I have a Broadband connection and I am running Windows XP SP2.

Thanks

2. 2005/07/13
    sparrow

sparrow Inactive

Have you tried opening your browser at startup? That works for me.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2005/07/13
    BillyBob Lifetime Subscription

BillyBob Inactive

My thoughts.

Having it in the STARTUP folder may be attempting to execute something A LLLOOONNGGGGG time BEFORE all necessary things are loaded and setup.

I myself have XP Pro and Cable Interent and there are times that I have to wait a minute or two before I can connect.

And that is AFTER ALL disk activity indication has stopped ( little red light on the case. ) The longer I wait the better things in general seem to work.

Overall I have found that NOT GETTING in a hurry after starting/restarting XP Pro pays off BIG TIME. That is why I turn the machine on on the way by to my first cup of coffee in the AM. By the time I get back all is ready to go.

BillyBob

5. 2005/07/13
    Prophecy

Yeh thanks for your help guys, I think your right about it trying to connect before its all loaded. I'd prefer not to load up my browser on startup but i may give it a try. Thanks again.

6. 2005/07/13

BillyBob Inactive

Is loading the browser at startup good Idea ?

I personaly do not think so. Unless you can be sure that ALL security, anti-Virus, Firewalls etc. are loaded and fully active also. And the more stuff that is loaded at Startup the LONGER it takes Window to get settled down.

Again I REPEAT Getting in a hurry can cause ( and has caused me ) MMP ( Mucho-Many-Problems ).

And also if something tries to load and/or activate and can't do so properly IT CAN stop Windows itself from loading properly.

BillyBob

Last edited: 2005/07/13
  7. 2005/07/14
    sparrow

sparrow Inactive

BillyBob

A very good point. Make sure the required programs are listed in the 'All Users' startup folder, which I believe loads before the contents of ones personal startup folder.

Last edited: 2005/07/14
  8. 2005/07/15
    Prophecy

Well im currently trying out different combinations (i.e. connection in startup folder with it prompting to connect). So far i can get it to ask me to connect on startup but i cant get it to load up at all if i tell it not to ask before connecting... Ill keep trying.

9. 2005/07/16
    Prophecy

Well i got it :D Putting it in the all users startup folder did the trick. Thanks again for your help.

Prophecy

10. 2005/07/17
    sparrow

sparrow Inactive

Thanks for posting back re: your success. :D

11. 2005/07/18
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

Sounds like you have dsl. If you got a router then you'd be able to get rid of the dsl dial up software. The router would handle making the connection for you at desired schedule.

12. 2005/07/18

BillyBob Inactive

Prophecy

If Windows gives you any problems at shutdown, that Internet connection would be the first thing I would take a look at.

This may be just a thought or wild idea on my part but it also from some experience with stuff that is loaded at startup.

I myself have cut that to an absolute minimum. And it has paid off very well by giving me many less problems. Especially with bootup and shutdown. But also overall operation.

Also with some things stuff if they are not loaded in the proper order it can cause problems.

And again. I hope at least your AV software is loading too.

Now a question for anybody.

If a machine does connect to the Internet at startup and lets says AUTO UPDATE is enabled and there were actually updates available. Would that or would it not possibley cause broblems for the bootup ?

So. Even though there may be advantages to connecting at startup, I believe that there also may be dis-advantages. What about it ?

BillyBob

13. 2005/07/18
    Prophecy

Well the way I have it seems to work fine, Ive had no complaints from windows yet. Placing it in the startup folder seems to place it at the end of the bootup queue, so all my security etc is already running when it connects to the net.

As for auto update I think it will probably be fine with it, since everything is up and running when it looks for updates. I havent been able to test this yet since there have been no critical updates recently. Anything else that auto updates or trys to use the net immediately, I have disabled at startup.

So far i havent experienced any troubles on bootup or shut down so I think windows is quite happy as it is for me atm.

In response to TonyT, although a router would deal with my connection for me, I see no real use other then that, since I only have the one PC and routers are more for networks. So it wouldnt be all the economic for me to buy a router. Good suggestion tho.

14. 2005/07/18

BillyBob Inactive

Prophecy

Thanks for the reply.

It looks like you have done some checking.

BillyBob

15. 2005/07/19
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

I don't know what dsl provider you have, but most dsl providers now use dsl modems with a built in gateway-router that also has a nat firewall, and also has connection settings for when and when not to be connected.

If your provider does not use such a modem, then inquire about newer modems that do not require the dsl connection software.

If your provider does not use these newer gateway-router modems, then a $40.00 investment in a linksys dsl-cable router is well worth it. It will eliminate the need for dsl provider software and more importantly it has a built in firewall.

I got news for you, if the only firewall you have is a software firewall, then you are not as safe as you think. Software firewalls can be bypassed, circumvented, disabled, exploited by a webpage with some malicious code, or by a skilled hacker, and certain spyware can target software firewalls and disable them.

Granted, a skilled hacker is not necessarily targeting a home user like yourself, but skilled spammer hackers are! They target home broadband users because they want to use home broadband connections to send their spam from.

As for routers being only for networks, you are correct. However, you may not realize it but YOU ARE on a network! Every computer connected to the internet is on a network.

You may not have a home network setup with other home computers, but you are a part of your dsl provider's network once connected! And your dsl provider is a part of a larger network, and so on and so on.

What IS the Internet?
    http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/I/Internet.html

You are a Host. (see definition #2)
    What is a Host?
    http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/H/host.htm

A $40.00 investment in a hardware device is well worth it!

Last edited: 2005/07/19
  16. 2005/07/19

BillyBob Inactive

There is nothing that I could agree more with. A router is one of the best investments that I ever made regading the Computers.

With a Router each machine can be setup COMPLETELY independent of the other so that if one goes the other still works. The machines are connected to the Router. Not each other.

I have three machines and a Printer plugged into a Router. Before I got the new Printer this machine had to be on at all times so that others could use it. Now it does not as the Printer is no longer SHARED.

Each machine is 100% standalone. Noboby depends on anybody for anything.

:) I just looked and all there machines are on line and one is even using the printer to print instructions for a game of some sort.

Ok. I will get off the soapbox now. The Grandkids are asking for help.

BillyBob

17. 2005/07/19
    Prophecy

Ill look into getting a router then. Thanks for the help guys.

18. 2005/07/23
    Pop.Gunna

Pop.Gunna Inactive

EVERYBODY is well advised to go back and read BillyBobs first comments.
    A machine with problems almost always has an "impatient operator" who almost always blames a bugged product with profound certainty.
    Every machine that goes past me collects one addition to the StartUp Folder. Sure it puts a "little" drag on the system, but so does the windscreen on a moving vehicle. I have never had much success in drilling people about the "flashing red LEDâ€. Surprise, most people just don’t want to know. BUT, thanks to recent versions of Windows (post ME) we can give these people an easy understanding of BillyBobs "hints" on the subject, simply by the aid of graphics on the only thing that people look at "“ the screen.
    Just run "TASKMGR.EXE" at StartUp so that it opens on the Performance Tab.
    On the "Options Menuâ€, it is a good idea to select "Minimize on Use" and "Hide When Minimizedâ€. The visual positives far out weigh the miniscule effect on the CPU. It is also a good idea to NOT close it, but minimize it to the bundle of icons in the Tray at the bottom right of screen. This acts as a gauge to show how busy your PC is at a glance.

Impatience is a SURE way to wast time in the PC arena "“ Thanks BillyBob.

Maybe Mr Gates will make this one of his imposed defaults in a decade or two…..

Pop.Gunna

19. 2005/07/23

BillyBob Inactive

Thank you Pop.Gunna

Even then can we be assurred that they are all fully setup and ready for action.

I had a go around with a Grandson yesterday. As soon as the desktop appeared he hit the IE Icon. LOCKUP TIME !!!!!. With no choice but to hit the rest button then sit back and wait for Scandisk to get done. And PRAY that all came back OK. Thankfully it did.

Another Mistake that he made. He was on Grandmas PC.

BillyBob

20. 2005/07/25
    Pop.Gunna

Pop.Gunna Inactive

Yes Billy.
    You can be - as assured as you will ever be, and it’so blatantly obvious. Leaves the LED for dead.

It was a real eye opener to me when I first tried it, and it TOTALLY amazes the not-so-well-informed, which is the best part of it. I expand the window so that it covers the main Desktop icons and the graph keeps them occupied and not so inpatient. When you try it you will see what I mean and won’t go back. That includes the experts, if there are such, in that it is a nice aide to diagnostics particularly when left running minimized.

Humbly…....Pop.Gunna

PS.
    For a bit of color you can turn on "Show Kernel Timesâ€.
    If anyone could oblige with an easy way to defeat the "X" Close Button would be good.
    Sorry this is late and a bit Off Topic......

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.