1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Malware Win32: Vibpack when using Ad-Aware

Discussion in 'Security and Privacy' started by mikeyewz, 2005/07/05.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2005/07/05
    mikeyewz

mikeyewz Inactive Thread Starter

Hi, When I run Ad-aware I get a message from my Avast Antivirus telling me I have "Malware Win32: Vibpack (Wrm) ". It tells me to "Move to Chest" (quarantine), but no sooner I do this then another one pops up. I can't stop them without cancelling Ad-aware. When I do a complete scan using Avast, it does not pick them up.
    I have also run S&D and Hijackthis, but I cannot see anything untoward.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks for your time.
    Mike.

2. 2005/07/05
    markp62

markp62 Geek Member Alumni

Hello, welcome to the boards.
    I moved your thread to General Security.
    I would say Avast is having a false positive problem with Ad-Aware. I would disable Avast long enough for Ad-Aware to do it's scan.

You could use RAV Online Scan for another opinion on this.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2005/07/06
    mikeyewz

Thanks for your advice. I disabled Avast AV and I did manage to run Ad-aware OK. But I re-enabled Avast and ran Ad-aware again but got the same Virus popping up again. Any idea how I can get rid of it permanantly?
    Thanks.
    Mike.

5. 2005/07/06
    Bmoore1129

Bmoore1129 Geek Member

From the Ad-Aware Help files:
    Subsequent scans will ignore the popup.

6. 2005/07/06
    mikeyewz

Hi, I have run Ad-aware and it does not give me any objects to add to the ignore list. In other words there are no critical objects, or objects Recognized.

7. 2005/07/06
    Bmoore1129

Bmoore1129 Geek Member

Yeah, I got it backwards. Your Avast program should have a help file that might tell how to ignore false positives. Did you try the online scan as suggested?

My AVG 7.0 does not find anything from Ad-Aware Plus version 1.06r1.

8. 2005/07/06
    mikeyewz

Yes, I tried the RAV Online Scan, and my Avast AV acted the same as when I ran Ad-aware.

9. 2005/07/06
    Dennis L Lifetime Subscription

Dennis L Inactive Alumni

mikeyewz

I had a similar experience with "false postive" / AV scans.
    See my post False positives from AVG Free 7 - Trojan horse Dropper.small.22.AY -- ??

The solution provided was using Jotti's malware scan a "suspect file checker" running the file against 14 popular AV virus db definitions (all from one view .. including Avast). If your suspect file is a valid file for Ad-aware, yet triggers the AV scans false alarms, you can forward the information to Avast.

10. 2005/07/06
    mikeyewz

Thanks Dennis....I found this out from Ad-aware:

During a scan, Ad-Aware will temporarily decompress files to scan their contents without activating the content, but in doing so, the file is noticed by the antivirus' resident scanner. Also, some antivirus applications include an option to quarantine infected files, and when Ad-Aware decompresses these quarantined files, the antivirus background scanner detects the virus moving outside the quarantine area.

It was suggested that I use "Jotti ", but I don't know how to find the suspect file and get it in there. Do you think I should just leave things as they are?

Cheers, Mike.

11. 2005/07/06
    Dennis L Lifetime Subscription

Dennis L Inactive Alumni

The description / activity which occurs during the Ad-aware scan is / could be triggering Avast. Simply stated, not sure if Avast is seeing a "suspect program or suspect activity ". I would suggest contacting both Ad-aware AND Avast with the issue. It is a nice feeling when you provide help that can touch ten of thousands of (Ad-Aware /Avast) users.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.