1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

cmd problem [WORM_ALCAN.A ??]

Discussion in 'Malware and Virus Removal Archive' started by scottishbrew, 2005/06/23.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2005/06/23
    scottishbrew

scottishbrew Inactive Thread Starter

Ok, just recently, I haven't been able to use just 'cmd' through the run box. Whenever I do, it opens cmd.com and then just closes it.

However, if I type 'cmd.exe' in the dialog box, it runs fine. I have to do the same thing with netstat and I haven't tried any other ones.

Any ideas as to what caused this? And how to go about fixing it?

2. 2005/06/24
    Johanna

Johanna Inactive Alumni

trendmicro

Mod- please move to Security

Johanna

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2005/06/24
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

scottishbrew - Welcome to the Board :)

Your thread has been moved to the Removing Spyware & Viruses forum.

Details for the removal of WORM_ALCAN.A are in the URL Johanna posted under the Solution tab.

Let us know if it works for you.

5. 2005/06/24
    scottishbrew

scottishbrew Inactive Thread Starter

I've checked the registry for those entries, but none were there. I think it's because I told Spybot to decline the change because I didn't know what they were. However, when I went into Safe Mode and went into the System32 folder, none of the .com files appear. But when I boot into Linux and browse the System32 folder, I can find them all. But cannot delete them because of the NTFS issues with Linux.

Any other ideas?

I really don't want to have to reinstall, as I have nothing yet to back anything up with.

6. 2005/06/24
    markp62

markp62 Geek Member Alumni

none of the .com files appear.
    That would be because they have Hidden and System attributes on them, so they would not show up Windows Explorer, until you enable (uncheck the boxes) them in Folder Options.
    There is another way. Get HijackThis, and unzip it into it's own folder. Open it, and then click on 'Open the misc tools section', then click on 'Delete a file on reboot. A File Open window will appear, copy/paste the following into it.

c:\windows\system32\CMD.COM

Then click on Open, you will be prompted to reboot, select No at this time. Then do the same for these.

c:\windows\system32\NETSTAT.COM
    c:\windows\system32\PING.COM
    c:\windows\system32\REGEDIT.COM
    c:\windows\system32\TASKKILL.COM
    c:\windows\system32\TASKLIST.COM
    c:\windows\system32\TRACERT.COM
    Then reboot into XP, and they will be deleted.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.