1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Dual monitor - downside?

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by savagcl, 2005/06/17.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2005/06/17
    savagcl Lifetime Subscription

savagcl Geek Member Thread Starter

I see a lot of stuff on the net about dual monitors, clone, side-by-side, span, etc.
    What i don't see is anything about the downside, like overworking the graphics card to
    burnout (or near burnout). Will additional fans be needed? Is there a performance hit with
    dual monitors in response time or FPS within games?

For example, I have a 30" HDTV\LCD monitor with a max res of 1280x768x32. I'm getting
    a 19 inch LCD monitor in the next few days (1280x1024x32 max). I'm also purchasing a
    PCI-E, BFG 6600GT OC graphics card with 2 DVI-I output plugs. If i hook up both
    monitors (using side-by-side mode) what will happen to the graphics cards performance?
    Will it be reduced to 50% of max for each monitor? Will both monitors be able to have a
    good, great, or acceptable performance level?
    In the side-by-side mode, is it possible to have a different resolution for each monitor?

Having dual monitors is a great idea and i could use this feature but there must be a down
    side somewhere.......

thanks,
    savagcl

2. 2005/06/18
    mattman

mattman Inactive Alumni

If you run graphics intense programs on both screens, there may be a problem. You can really only follow one screen at a time, unless you stretch the window across both screens, then there is a gap in between and it doesn't look right (stretched across both screens, the graphics card is only doing one job and so are the monitors).
    I generally use one screen for reference and the other screen for function.

One screen will be the primary and the other is the secondary. The primary screen is where you "work ", the secondary can be the "display" screen where you run display tasks, eg., videos, TV, etc. If you want to do high level "multitasking" on both screens at once, yes, you can overtax the graphics card, otherwise you would be better off with two computers.

Matt

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2005/06/18

Got it, thanks Matt.

So it may be fast but its still only 1 instruction, 1 execution at a time. Doubt if they will
    ever get past that routine. Granted, the instructions are in a queue but just 1 at a time.

thanks, buddy,
    savagcl

5. 2005/06/20
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

Uh?

How would you "overtax the graphics card" if it's designed to deal with dual (or more) monitors?

I have been running dual monitors since Windows 98. First by using 2 PCI graphic cads, later by using dual head cards. Currently I use both Matrox Parhelia 128 MB and ATI 9800SE 256MB.

Never had any problems.

Arie,
  6. 2005/06/20

Arie,

Dont know, thats why i was asking about downside......

thanks,
    savagcl

7. 2005/06/21
    mattman

mattman Inactive Alumni

Hi Arie, suppose what I was saying boils down to checking the "system requirements" of the programs you want to run. If you are using a single GPU graphics card (not a dual-head or two graphics cards), then take into account the system requirements regarding the Graphics Adapter of the programs you want to run. Starting up two programs that are "graphics dependent" will probably lead to problems.
    Hope this explains my reply (explanation? :D )

Matt

8. 2005/06/21
    WorldBuilder

WorldBuilder Well-Known Member

I run three displays. I can tell you from personal experience that there is no downside, mate. :D

Chris

9. 2005/06/21

I'm very glad to hear that! Thanks.

Kinda strange these days to hear that there is no downside.....

savagcl

10. 2005/06/22
    Arie

I do know one: If you are running CRT's that is: heat!

I've got 2 17" CRT's, and they're like little radiators :(

I'm going to replace them this year with LCD's (probably 19" or 20 "), so that should help.

Arie,
  11. 2005/06/22

Arie,

I recently had to replace my daughters 19 " LCD monitor. Got a good SAMSUNG 19" LCD
    from bestbuy for about 350.00 (was in a hurry to get a replacement for her. Appears to be
    a very good monitor, good pic and color. As usual, the resolution is maxed at 1280x1024x32.

A 20/21" SAMSUNG has much better resolutions available (my next monitor buy). Saw one
    on google (forget site) 21" for a reasonable price. All good user reviews. Supports
    analog/digital.

Do a search for:
    Samsung SyncMaster 213T 21" LCD Flat

savagcl

12. 2005/06/24
    Arie

Looks like a nice monitor (the Samsung)...

My preference so far goes to NEC. The LCD2080UX+ (16 ms response time, 20 ").

The NEC has a very slim bezel ( "frame ") of 17mm, ideal for dual monitor use.

On checking the Smasung site I see that they expect a new 21.3" display in Q2 2005 (?) LTM213U6 which has a 10ms response time...

13. 2005/06/24

Arie,

Yes, just saw that, was wondering........., well wait and see.

Just got the new system, setting it up now (wont connect to
    the internet). Going round and round with GW about a bad card. It will
    send but dont receive - hence no DNS IP address.
    More later.

savagcl

14. 2005/06/24
    D-Baer

D-Baer Inactive

There are no downsides. I have been using two monitors for ten years. If you use the computer for things like Photoshop you can put all the menues, palats Etc on the second monitor and have the main totally available. I keep outlook open on my second monitor and the application I am using on the main, Sometimes I have two or three Apps open on the second while I am working on the main. When cutting and pasting in a large doccument it saves a bunch of time. I could give hundreds of additional examples. Once you PROPERLY run two monitors you will NEVER go back.
    To solve the heat and space thing just use two good LCD's. My main is a Samsung 243T (24 ") and my second is a Sharp 19 ". If you want to game and want the full undiverted power of your video card then just disable the second monitor. It only takes a few clicks and a few seconds.
    The thing to be careful of is the video card drivers. While I find ATI and NVIDIA about neck and neck in most things for dual monitors the NVIDIA drivers are head and sholders over ATI for this application.

Baer

15. 2005/06/24

D-baer,

I have a 30 inch monitor (HDTV Ready) now and will be getting a 19 incher
    for the second monitor.

The sound and graphics are built into the MB and from seeing/hearing, their're
    not bad but they dont take advantage of the PCI-E x16 slot. So i'll be getting a
    different graphics card (the BFG GeForce 6600 GT OC 128MB) for the pci-e
    slot. And a new power supply. The sound i will replace with my current
    audigy 2 ZS. Should improve things quite a bit.

Glad to hear it works good.

thanks,
    savagcl

16. 2005/06/24
    Arie

I can only agree with that 1000% :D

When my CEO told me I should start running dual monitors, I said "for what? "...

He paid the bill & I got two PanaSync SL70i (17" CRT) monitors (around 6 years ago), and would NEVER run with less then 2. I *could* inmagine running 3 though :eek:

17. 2005/06/24
    billbled

billbled Inactive

How 'bout 8?

I agree with the no downside. I've been running this setup for several years and it works great. Generates a nice amount of toasty warm heat in the winter and works the A/C to death in the summer:

http://www.billbledsoe.com/Links/tradestation.htm

--Bill

18. 2005/06/24
    Arie

:D yea, I've seen similar setups before. I think 3 would satisfy my needs (for now).

19. 2005/06/25
    LukePhilipTang

LukePhilipTang Inactive

Multiple Monitors: Up/Down side and Considerations.

The Upside: :)
    1. More workspace (one for docs/spreadsheet/email, one for web-browser, one for stock/investment live updates, etc).
    2. Definately good for productivity.
    3. Looks rather cool. :cool:

The Downside: :(
    1. Whether LCD or CRT display, additional real estate is needed for the 2nd, 3rd or 4th display. If more than 1, then LCD is strongly recommended. If space is limited, then radial arms may be a better option (table or wall mount).
    2. Additional display and Radial arms are an additional cost.
    3. Additional cables (power/video cables) management.
    4. Will consume additional electricity (even when the displays are on standby).
    5. Some Active X programs will execute on primary display only and activity on other active display will interrupt the Active X program on the primary display.
    6. Some Legacy apps (when moved to secondary display) will not be able to "auto-switch" back to primary display when secondary display is turned-off or disconnected.

The Considerations: ;)
    1. If user intends to span a single desktop across the additional displays, then it is recommended that the display hardware specs/resolutions are equal.
    2. Even if the displays are individual/extended desktops, it is recommended that the resolutions specs are equal as to avoid having the need to resize the program menus.
    3. Unless a user have appropriate needs for more than 1 display, it may be wiser to spend the hard-earned money on other gadgets like an external hard disk or DVD dual-layer multi burner for backup purposes.
    4. Every display manufacturer has a slightly different contrast/brightness/refresh/etc ratios. If user spends more than 6 hours looking at the displays or have specific needs (ie: photo editing, AUTOCAD, etc) the display specs will be important.
    5. Never forget the warranty service support. Displays are either 1 or 3 years warranty. Some vendors provide on-site service, others are carry-in repair.

20. 2005/06/30
    Blueberry

Blueberry Well-Known Member

As others have stated, downside is heat (and expense). I installed a temperature probe inside my PC to keep an eye on the internal heat buildup so that I can turn on a fan or crank up the AC as needed. The heat problem is compounded on my system by the fact that the entire CPU is enclosed in an airtight box with a single fan pushing air in (through a HEPA filter) so as to keep the CD/DVD optics clean in my dusty environment.

I have been using this setup with 4 big CRT monitors and 4 separate video cards for years now. All my apps are nicely spread out and fit into their own little spot - I find it hard to use a system with only 1 monitor anymore! BTW, I also use a tackball and 2 wheel mice concurrently on my system.

For intense graphics work like mine, this setup is essential. I don't find it to be very usefull in gaming however. There is a noticeable slowdown when trying to use multiple monitors with MS FLight Simulator for example. This could be more to do with my particular setup rather than multi-monitor use in general however.

My advice? Go for it, you'll never go back.

21. 2005/06/30
    Dennis L Lifetime Subscription

Dennis L Inactive Alumni

This sounds like a very interesting setup!!
    Would be very nice (please, please) if you could take some time to post the spec's and possible some jpg's (staff could you assist in providing space for pic's??). Possible best posted in the "Hardware" forum. Maybe including what you do with equipment and why you require multiply monitors with piped in filtered air in your work environment. Thank you very much for time / info you furnish to the forum.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.