1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Network stopped working, showing "limited or no connectivity" message.

Discussion in 'Networking (Hardware & Software)' started by maxpower890, 2005/06/08.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2005/06/08
    maxpower890

maxpower890 Inactive Thread Starter

I have a network set up in my house with 2 computers. Everything was working fine until today. I dont know of anything that changed between last night and today, but now i am getting the "limited or no connectivity" message on both computers. I am using a hub and the network is not connected to broadband internet. Both computers have been running service pack 2 for months with no problems. The computers dont show up when going to the microsoft windows network, like they used to.

I have tried a differnt hub, i have searched on google and tried everything i could find. The only other thing i can think of is reformatting the computers. but of course i want to use that as a last resort. Does anyone have any information that could help me out? thanks

2. 2005/06/09
    acr731

acr731 Inactive

I am interested in this topic as well.

My network is a mix of WinXP Pro and Win2K machines. The XP boxes are new machines from Dell. All have the Broadcom 1gb NIC's and each is up to date with SP2 and any updates thereafter.

I have been having an identical problem like Maxpower described, but it doesn't effect the 2K machines at all, only the XP boxes. I suspect an issue with SP2, but I'm not certain. On my personal machine, I replaced the NIC with an older 100 card and the problems are not near as persistent, but they still occasionally occur.

I'd like to know what the cause could be...is it a flaw in SP2? A flaw with NIC drivers?

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2005/06/29
    asecco

asecco Inactive

Same problem

Well it happened to me too.
    Just installed the KB894391 security patch and after installed the computers weren´t able to comunicate with each other.
    I have tried many searches but nothing worked.
    I found a few things.
    1) The DHCP is not working in my internet connection, so other computers cannot get an IP address.
    2) In the help and technical support of XP there is a test were you all can find the same problem.
    My cable modem is connected through a USB port.
    How to get the DHCP on again think is the key :confused: :confused: :confused:

5. 2005/06/29
    BillyBob Lifetime Subscription

BillyBob Inactive

I can not say 100% for sure but I suspect that all of you are using some sort of ICS ( Internet Connection Sharing )

Especially asecco where
    proves it.

Also I can not say 100% for sure but I think you would all benefit by the use of a Router. Cable each machine to the Router and set each NIC to AUTO optain an address. Make sure DHCP is enabled on the Router.

Then each machine will be 100% independent of the other. At least as far as the Internet goes.

I have a Linksys Router. A Linksys 4 port Switch. 1-XP Pro. 2-98SE machines and a HP Printer all Plugged into either the Router or the Switch. NO problems.

I have have had other machines using 95B on up plugged into the Router and no problems

The Router, Switch and the Printer are constantly powered so thay can be used by any machine at any time.

And also all you need to do is make sure that all machines have a name and are in the same Workgroup and you will have Local Area Network that is SEPARATE from the Wide Area Network. And IPs all assigned by the Router.

The Router also makes it nice when you can have more than one machine online at the same time using only one account. I have had as many as 4.

BillyBob

6. 2005/06/30
    asecco

asecco Inactive

Yes Billybob, in my case you are right. I use a Motorola Cablemodem SB5100 pugged to a USB port. The other computer is connected through the network to Internet using a small 8 ports switch.
    The problem seems to be that the second computer cannot get an IP address since the DHCP is not setted on. How can I put the DHCP on ?

7. 2005/07/01
    asecco

asecco Inactive

Hi,
    Now network is working fine.
    The host can see the guestr and the guest can see the host as well. BUT the guest cannot connect to internet,
    ICS is activated in the host, but as simple as that the guest do not see the web.
    Can I have a corrupted file ?, and if so, which one?
    I appreciate the help.

8. 2005/07/02
    asecco

asecco Inactive

All solved now.
    There is a bug in the SP2, recognized by Microsoft.
    I downloaded a patch runned in both computers and voila!
    For all those which has the same problem download the KB884020 and run it.
    Good luck to all.

9. 2005/07/02
    Scott Smith

Scott Smith Inactive Alumni

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.