1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

System Info Won't Open

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by aleekat, 2005/06/01.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2005/06/01
    aleekat

aleekat Inactive Thread Starter

XP home with all updates. Searched the net and this board. All issues I have found predate SP2. Any direction I try to open, just a brief hourglass and nothing. Tried from start/run. Directly from the folder, system tools. Tried the adding "%" and showcategories at the end of short cut. It will open in the safe mode only. No problems with Help and Support opening. Really can't try system restore because not sure when it stopped working. Ideas anyone?

2. 2005/06/01
    surferdude2

surferdude2 Inactive

Paste the following line in the Run window:

Code:
     "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\MSInfo\msinfo32.exe" /categories +all
    If that works, paste it in the target of your shortcuts.

If it doesn't work, run SFC /SCANNOW and be prepared to furnish the install cd.

Last edited: 2005/06/01

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2005/06/01
    Welshjim

Welshjim Inactive

aleekat--Start|Run|type msinfo32|OK might be simpler, but should give the same result.
    But if System Restore is the problem, then Start|Run|Accessories|System Tools|System Restore|System Restore Settings|Turn off System Restore. This will delete all your present Restore points, but it would seem something is corrupted. Reboot. Go back into System Restore, uncheck "Turn off System Restore" and create a new Restore Point.
    You could also Troubleshoot System Restore,
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;302796

5. 2005/06/01
    surferdude2

surferdude2 Inactive

Try some of these remedies if the problem persists. (It can be stubborn but is fixable)

Thanks to Kelly Theriot for these:

HTH

6. 2005/06/01
    aleekat

Ok gang.
    Surferdude: All the Kelly's tips predate SP2. I had tried all of those already.
    Pasting into run command, did all of the suggestions by you and welshjim before posting. Haven't tried the SFC command yet. Will let you know.

Welshjim: Think you misunderstood my comment about system restore. It does work, but because I use the system info so infrequently, I really don't want to start heading backwards on this system. Like I posted, works in the safe mode only.

7. 2005/06/02
    goddez1

goddez1 Inactive

I once read a tip that has stuck, when dealing with this issue and one of those awful rootkit hijack buggers. Taskman and msinfo32 along with msconfig where disabled or instantly closed such as you described. Any way... the tip was to rename these with a *.com extension, ie; msinfo32.exe gets renamed msinfo32.com. It worked. Still works if I do it now, even on a clean OS. Just did it to make sure. You might want to try this just as an experiment. If it does, you got something botched in the registry or you have been infested and have not yet detected or discovered it.

8. 2005/06/02
    lj50 Lifetime Subscription

lj50 SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Did you try this All Programs\Accessories\Systen Tools. Right click on System Information\Properties At the end of the Target path adding "%1 ". Thats how I fixed mine. Please accept my appologies if you have already tried this.

lj50,
  9. 2005/06/02
    aleekat

Goddez, I havent tried your suggestion. But after re-reading it a few times, I would think if that was my problem, then I wouldn't be able to open it from the safe mode either.

10. 2005/06/02
    noahdfear

noahdfear Inactive

If it were viril, blocking msinfo32.exe from running, chances are it's not active in safe mode, meaning msinfo will work properly. Renaming it to msinfo32.com then double clicking to run is not only quick and harmless, it may solve your problem. **Note - a new msinfo32.exe will be created after renaming the original. ;)

11. 2005/06/04
    Baldy

Baldy Inactive

I've tried every thing that has been suggested and still no info. I do have the "index.dat" in C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\OfflineCache. The odd thing is that it says it is a NeroMIX file and I don't even have that program and it wants me buy it. If that is the problem what should I change the association to?
    If there are any other sugestions I would appreciate them.
    Baldy

12. 2005/06/05
    surferdude2

surferdude2 Inactive

You can reset the association for .dat files by Running the following text from a Command Line Window:

assoc.dat=dat_auto_file

That will get you back to the normal default.

13. 2005/06/05
    surferdude2

surferdude2 Inactive

Also try using a different msinfo32.exe file. Make a new Desktop shortcut and use the following target line for it:

%windir%\SYSTEM32\dllcache\msinfo32.exe /categories +all

14. 2005/06/05
    aleekat

Ok, guess someone else is having the same issue. Well, tried the renaming to .com. That works when double clicking it. But XP won't let me target via shortcut to it "not valid" issue. Still only opens in the safe mode.

15. 2005/06/05
    noahdfear

noahdfear Inactive

aleekat,

Does it open with the newly created msinfo32.exe in Windows? If the .com does but the .exe doesn't, you probably should run F-Secure Blacklight and/or RootkitRevealer to make sure it's not rootkit related.

16. 2005/06/05
    Baldy

Baldy Inactive

I ran the "%windir%\SYSTEM32\dllcache\msinfo32.exe /categories +all" in a shortcut and still got the same message. From the START>RUN>msinfo32 it says the file doesn't exist, but from the shortcut it says "Can't Collect Information" "Cannot access the Windows Management Instrumentation software. Windows Management files may be moved or missing." It looks like the msinfo32 files are all there, but don't know about the "Windows Management" files.

Thanks
    Baldy

17. 2005/06/05
    surferdude2

surferdude2 Inactive

18. 2005/06/06
    aleekat

Guess I have been away from this board awhile.. The piggy back issues, may need to post a new thread.. Anyway, try the Root link, came back clean. Only opens with the .com renamed. The new .exe won't open. Again, only from the safe mode.
    Run Adware and AVG on a regular basis. Ran an online scan also.. Everything keeps coming up clean.

Last edited: 2005/06/06
  19. 2005/06/06
    goddez1

goddez1 Inactive

Aleekat,
    How about this, from the start run line, typing
    winmsd and hitting enter.

I have a slight puzzle or mystery myself. I have always been able to type msinfo32 on the run line and get it to open. Some where along the line while playing around with this posts issue, I have lost that ability, now I have to type the whole path to the directory "D:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\MSInfo\msinfo32.exe" to get it to run. I wonder when this happened? Hmmmm, I'll have to find out. Guess I'll do some cleanups and see what happens. It's not a problem just a puzzle.
    NOTE*Alternative: I can type winmsd from the run line and get msinfo32 to open.

Here's a "fly by the seat of your pants" suggestion for ya'. Since msinfo32 is shared by MSOffice and if you use or have this, I wonder if an office self repair would help in anyway. If you have 2000 or newer a built in repair function/option should be available from the drop downs on the toolbar from with msword (for one). Be aware that the MSoffice CD would be required to do this though. Ah... nix this idea. If msinfo32.com opens msinfo32 or safemode functionality for that matter, it seems most likely, you don't have a file issue, you have a registry issue. Boy! Those "restore points" are looking better and better. One thing to note is (if your System Restore is working as expected) you can go backward and forward. This is always a roller coaster ride though and things can go wrong.

On the other hand an office repair may add the missing ingredient to the registry....Hmmmm.

=============
    Sheesh.. :eek: The above is a fine example of the embarrassment of thinking out loud or brainstorming while working on the crippled capacity of braincell functionality in the wee...wee hours of the morning. :eek: No doubt, after sleeping, and upon checking back into this boards post, I'm going to wonder what possessed me... :)

Last edited: 2005/06/07
  20. 2005/06/06
    Johanna

Johanna Inactive Alumni

Hi, Aleekat!
    Glad to see you posting again! :D

I have been following this thread with interest, because of a troubled Dell that would give me "file missing or invalid command" when I would type "systeminfo" from the cmd window.
    So I have nothing useful to add, except that I appreciate you "thinking out loud ", Ann, and SD2 explaining something in plain English, and everybody else who posts in with useful information... God bless Texas, the USA! and people who share their time and talent on the BBS! :D (exits to collect hanky) Ann, I always learn something from your posts- if nothing else, how to research a problem. Don't apologize for it- it's a gift you share with us, and I'm happy to have it.

Looking forward to learning what you folks figure out- post back Aleekat!

Johanna

21. 2005/06/06
    Baldy

Baldy Inactive

Well, thanks to Suferdude2 and Kellys Korner "http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_m.htm#msinfo32" System Info is now working. The %windir%\ threw me for a while. It was the c:\windows\system32\wbem\repository. It will work off of my short cut that has the full path in it. But not in the start>run>msinfo32. If I put the full path in the run - it works.

Here is what I went through of Kellys sugestions and it might have worked the first time if I had found the repository directory and deleted it in the first trial.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.