1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Saving my "Keep" e-mail!

Discussion in 'Internet Explorer & Microsoft Edge' started by jbarker, 2005/05/13.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2005/05/13
    jbarker

jbarker Inactive Thread Starter

Hey Folks:

I'm getting old and maybe we've posted this before - don't remember.
    (How old? Well it is now 79 but won't be long till we can be called an Octantertian !)

Anyhow, here is my problem:

1. Using Windows XP Pro and Microsoft Outlook Express with DSL service.
    2. We get e-mail. Lots of it !
    3. We get about 50% spam - Despite all the tools our server provides to eliminate it (Bellsouth's Mailguard program).
    4.But we got a Spam Program that identifies most of what slips thru and we delete them. Trouble, but we do eliminate them !

5. Now, on a typical day we "still have" about 50 to 75 e-mails left over we wish to keep. What I mean by "Keep" is we wish to store those e-mails onto another drive in specific folders (my choice) and eventually burn them on a CD for record purposes. That keeps Outlook Express retalitive clean !

But, so far the only method of "SAVING" those e-mails is to "Save As" one at a time to the specified folder.

Hey, that is time consuming ! Takes about an hour to save them one by one to a folder where we can later burn to a CD.

Question:

Can we "MASS SAVE" (Example -all 67 of them at once.) those e-mails each day from OUTLOOK EXPRESS ?

So far, I have not been able to find a way of doing this.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

2. 2005/05/15
    Miz

Miz Inactive Alumni

If you're willing to save them in a dbx file (which is the format OE keeps its messages in), then all you need to do is burn the dbx file with your "keep" messages in it. The file will have the same name as the folder in which the messages are located. Example, if they're in the Inbox in OE, then they'll be in the "inbox.dbx" file in the Store Folder.

You will be able to view the contents of the backed-up dbx file by importing it back into OE or by using DBXtract.

To locate the store folder, in OE, go to Tools>Options>Maintenance tab>Store Folder button.

The way I do it is to change location of the store folder to a sub-folder of My Documents (I just named it "Email "). Since I do a backup regularly and include the My Documents folder, everything in OE when I run the backup is burned to CD.

Miz,

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2005/05/15
    Welshjim

Welshjim Inactive

jbarker--Miz' recommendation is the most efficient way to do it--especially if you have 50-75 emails a day to store. However, if you want to store the emails in readable form you could consider
    1) create a New Folder on Desktop. You can name it whatever you want, like "Messages-May 15 ".
    2) with the OE Inbox open, hold down Control. Now left click (highlight) all the messages you want to save. Switch to holding down the right click mouse button when over anyone of those highlighted messages and drag all those highlighted messages into the New Folder (they will all move with one drag). You will be asked whether you want to Move Here or Copy Here. Presumably you want to Copy, so click that.
    All those messages will now be in .eml file form in that New Folder, and you can read them by just clicking on them.

5. 2005/05/20
    James Martin

James Martin Geek Member

I'm a bit confused about the store folder.........Is that where OE keeps it's e-mails?

I did what Miz said, except I changed the storage location to D drive. I then opened OE and all of my messages were gone. If that's the folder where they are stored, then why did I have to import the messages back to OE to read them again? Does OE have another folder that it keeps mail in besides the storage folder?

Sorry, this sounded easy enough until I tried it. :eek:

6. 2005/05/20
    James Martin

James Martin Geek Member

I think I answered my own question. :D

When I changed the location of my messages, I did not create a new folder until the messages had been moved.

I then went to D drive and made a folder for the .dbx files to be stored in, as they were in no folder to begin with. This caused OE to recreate new .dbx files that would match the storage path that 1st created. In other words, I had 2 storage areas on D drive....D itself, and D/Outlook Express (folder).

Realizing my mistake, I went back to OE and redirected the program to the folder I made first.

All is well now. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.