1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Removing the [SP2] Uninstaller

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by derfsch, 2005/05/12.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2005/05/12
    derfsch

derfsch Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Hi All, .............. Service Pack 2 has been installed on my XP Pro computer for some time now. Recently I came across a folder in C:\Windows, $NtServicePackUninstaller$. After doing some searching in Google, Kelly, etc. (WindowsBBS indicated the name as too long), the purpose of the folder is clear and I have no intention of removing SP2. Some searches indicated that the folder could be removed through the Control Panel's Add and Remove. It is not shown there and I'm reluctant to attempt a straight deletion of 336 MB with 2308 files. Is there a utility that might assist me? Or, what advice does anyone have to offer so that I can regain some real estate on my hard disk?

2. 2005/05/12
    charlesvar

charlesvar Inactive Alumni

Hello derfsch,

DO NOT use Add/Remove, that uninstalls SP2, if that's what was advisded.

Why are you afraid to do a straight deletion of 336 MB with 2308 files? Worked for me and have never heard of anyone runnung into a problem doing so provided that there are no problems with system to prevent it. Once deleted, on reboot, the Add/Remove entry for SP2 will be gone.

If it makes you feel better, burn it out prior to deletion, if only for reference.

Regards - Charles

Last edited: 2005/05/12

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2005/05/13
    instanton

instanton Inactive

If you want to remove $NtServicePackUninstaller$, you may also wish to remove the downloaded files in WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download. SP2 leaves so many unuseful files in the system folder.

5. 2005/05/13
    derfsch

derfsch Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Charles and instanton

I have taken the advice from each of you and deleted the folders that each discussed. So far there is no problems and the increased disk space is useful. Thank you for the help.

6. 2005/05/13
    charlesvar

Hello instanton,

I looked in there, what I found was the EULA for SP2 and the EULA for MS's Malicious software Removal tool. These two fies come to 49KB. The whole Software Ditribution folder is 2.61 MB's. Is there something more that should be in there?

Hi derfsch
    BTW, you can handle MS update uninstall files the same way, once you decide that your not going to uninstall them. If you burn them out and change your mind, loading them out will allow uninstalling, will even put it back into Add/Remove.

Regards - Charles

Last edited: 2005/05/13
  7. 2005/05/13
    surferdude2

surferdude2 Inactive

Depending on how you accept your updates, the Download folder will be somewhat larger. If you choose to not automatically install updates and instead opt for "Download and Notify," the folder will contain all the updates that you have received. It supposedly manages those files and dumps them after a specified time but you can do it manually if you choose.

8. 2005/05/13
    charlesvar

Hi dude,

Depending on how you accept your updates
    Ok, I do mine manually, download the MS update installer files from the catalog site and then install the update, the same way I do any other software update.

Regards - Charles

9. 2005/05/13
    martinr121 Lifetime Subscription

martinr121 Inactive

Hi, that download folder on this machine holds 3 files, not readable, ok to delete?

Martin :confused:

10. 2005/05/13
    surferdude2

surferdude2 Inactive

Martin, If you're referring to the C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download folder, everything in it is fair game for deletion.

Windows supposedly manages it if you let it alone long enough but I've forgotten what time delay it uses. I have a batch file that deletes it et al, so mine gets deleted every time I make a drive image.

11. 2005/05/13
    mazaprin

mazaprin Inactive

I'm not very sure but I think that the Microsoft SP2 CD can Uninstall your existing copy so you don't really need to have the SP2 Uninstaller on your PC after Installing the SP2.

It seems that it is safe to simply delete the SP2 Un installer folder without adverse consequences to the System and I am considering doing it too BUT...
    my main concern is if it is also safe to delete ALL the contents of the windows/software distribution/downloads or ONLY the files or folders related to SP2?

Surferdude2, you say that you have a "batch file" that deletes all the contents of the software distribution/ downloads folder... Could you share with us where did you get that handy utility and where could we download it so we can also delete et all in that folder with one click every now and then instead of doing it manually in several steps?

12. 2005/05/13

martinr121 Inactive

Hey, I somehow got sidetracked. Wanted to ask about a folder in Windows root, $sh_mig$

I had already deleted $ prefixed files, they were compressed folders, this one is not, may have something to do with that hack getting rid of "compress old files?

Will delete the "software distribution" folder contents

take care,

Martin

13. 2005/05/13
    surferdude2

surferdude2 Inactive

Sure, I call it tempzap.bat. It runs chkdsk without any switches (for safety) and then dumps all temps and some other junk. I edited some items out that others probably don't have on their drives so here's what's left. You may not have AdAware or Music Match either, so edit accordingly or just leave them in there. It won't stop the progress or do any harm.

@ECHO OFF
    start /w chkdsk C:
    echo y | del "%UserProfile%\Recent\*.*"
    echo y | del c:\windows\prefetch\*.*
    echo y | rd/s "%UserProfile%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files "
    echo y | rd/s "%UserProfile%\Local Settings\Temp\"
    echo y | rd/s c:\temp\
    echo y | rd/s c:\windows\temp\
    md "%UserProfile%\Local Settings\Temp\"
    md c:\temp
    md c:\windows\temp
    echo y | del c:\*.tmp /p /s
    echo y | del c:\windows\*.tmp
    echo y | del c:\*.tmp /p /s /f /a:h
    echo y | del "C:\Program Files\MusicMatch\MusicMatch Jukebox\MMRadio\Cache\*.*"
    echo y | del "%UserProfile%\Application Data\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\Logs\*.*"
    echo y | del "%UserProfile%\Application Data\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\Quarantine\*.* "
    echo y | rd/s "C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download\ "
    md "C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download\ "

Last edited: 2005/05/14
  14. 2005/05/13
    surferdude2

surferdude2 Inactive

Martin, I've deleted the folder you are talking about and it never has caused any problem. I've been doing it for several months now so take that for what it's worth. It's my understanding that the folder is for coordinating the impact of uninstalling certain hotfixes out of sequence. Since I never do that sort of thing i just dump the whole mess.

Regards.

15. 2005/05/13

martinr121 Inactive

Hey Dude, thanks, but I think I will leave it for now.

You take care,

Martin

16. 2005/05/13
    surferdude2

surferdude2 Inactive

OK, your choice. Here's some more info on it. BTW, it's named $hf_mig$ on my system.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=824994

The meat of the subject from that link is:

When a security update, critical update, update, update rollup, driver, or feature pack installs GDR version files, the hotfix files are also copied to the %windir%\$hf_mig$ folder. This supports migration to the appropriate files if you later install a hotfix or service pack that includes earlier versions of these files. For example, consider the following scenario:1. You apply a security update that installs a GDR version of File.dll with a version number of 5.2.3790.1000 and copies a hotfix version of File.dll with a version number of 5.2.3790.1000 to the %windir%\$hf_mig$ folder.
    2. You apply a hotfix that includes a hotfix version of File.dll with a version number of 5.2.3790.0000.
    In this scenario the hotfix installation in step 2 installs the hotfix version of File.dll (version number 5.2.3790.1000) from the %windir%\$hf_mig$ folder instead of the hotfix version of File.dll (version number 5.2.3790.0000) from the hotfix package.

17. 2005/05/14
    bluzkat

bluzkat Inactive

Dude... Nice one. Great info. I wasn't aware MusicMatch Radio left so much garbage behind (I do like the station selection though). I'll have to give your batch file a whirl. Thanks.

B :cool:

18. 2005/05/14

martinr121 Inactive

Thanks Dude. In other words, leave it alone!

Take care,

Martin

19. 2005/05/14
    charlesvar

Hi Martin,

I deleted the $hf_mig$ files as well with no adverse affects. I did burn them out first.

Regards - Charles

20. 2005/05/14

martinr121 Inactive

'Morning Charles: Well, the way I read it, no harm would be done until a new hotfix tries to install an outdated file.

Take care,

Martin

21. 2005/05/14
    charlesvar

That's why I burned it out :)

I'm running two XP installations, on one of them I do things like this, the other leave alone until I see the full effects of anythng done.

Regards - Charles

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.