1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

WinZIP included?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Daisy30875, 2005/05/09.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2005/05/09
    Daisy30875

Daisy30875 Inactive Thread Starter

I am about to help out a friend from work with his computer. I am going to show him what to download for getting rid of spyware. But I was just wondering if XP has a winzip type program or not, if not does WINZIP make a program for XP? Thanks again guys!

Daisy

2. 2005/05/09
    Newt

Newt Inactive

XP has a compression utility. In windows explorer, right-click a file and you should see the option to compress it.

Newt,

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2005/05/10
    Welshjim

Welshjim Inactive

Daisy--Newt's suggestion does not work on my XP PC. Perhaps because my System Drive is NTFS formatted.
    Suggest you open Windows Explorer Help, type Compressed on the Index tab and run through the various offerings including Related Topics when they are offered. It really is much too lengthy to try to summarize here. And the instructions are different for FAT formatted drives and NTFS drives.

In any event, I understand from your question that you are probably more interested in how to open .zip files rather than how to create .zip files. If so, there are some free programs like FreeZip
    http://members.ozemail.com.au/~nulifetv/freezip/
    or Zipper
    http://www.trans4mind.com/personal_development/zipper/
    I have never used either. I suggest you scan for viruses before installing.
    I use WinZip, which works fine with WinXP. Unfortunately it costs $30, but you get a 21 day trial period, which may be all your friend needs. I also hear that apart from some nagging WinZip does not insist you pay after the 21 days are up, but maybe that is no longer the case.

5. 2005/05/10
    Christer

Christer Geek Member Staff

From Newts post:

From Jims post:

I'm on XP-pro and NTFS. I have the option to right-click > send to > compressed folder.

Right-clicking *.zip files > extract all, will extract the contents of the *.zip file to a destination chosen by the user. It also extracts *.zip files that were created using other utilities but a friend of mine had an issue with extreme slowness extracting files from a spanned set of floppies created on Win95 and WinZip 8.

Double-clicking the *.zip file will bring up a new window with the contents displayed. Double-clicking any file therein will extract and open it in the appropriate application and it can be saved.

Christer

6. 2005/05/10
    surferdude2

surferdude2 Inactive

From Jims post:

Jim, the reason is that you have Winzip and it has taken over the compressed file associations. On a pristine XP system, either Pro or Home, it works as Newt described.

7. 2005/05/10
    Welshjim

Welshjim Inactive

All--Actually Christer got it right--at least for PC's with NTFS format and WinZip installed. I do have the Compress option if I right-click > send to > compressed folder.
    So this was a valuable thread for me.
    Daisy--I also see now that XP's compression program will open (unzip) .zip program files you may need to download to help your friend. (Right click|Open With|Compressed (zipped) Folders.) Wow!! Poor WinZip.

Last edited: 2005/05/10
  8. 2005/05/11
    Christer

I don't have WinZip installed and neither does my friend who had the slow-issue. It seems like an incompatibility issue between the "XP native compression/extraction tool" and a *.zip file created using WinZip 8 on an older operating system (Win95).

Christer

9. 2005/05/11
    Welshjim

Welshjim Inactive

Christer--
    ??? Maybe I missed it, but no one in this thread seems to have a "slow issue ". Or be dealing with .zip files created with old software.
    I was just agreeing with your advice and suggestion.

10. 2005/05/11
    Christer

Jim,
    I mentioned the slowness as information "on the side ". The native XP "compression/extraction tool" doesn't work well under all circumstances and there might be a reason to install WinZip.

Christer

11. 2005/05/11
    Daisy30875

Daisy30875 Inactive Thread Starter

Thanks ALL

First of all thanks to all of you who helped. Here is a little comic relief for those of you--My friend that I had mentioned I am helping is my boss. He is Indian and sometimes doesnt understand what I am explaining to him--therefore I'm thinking highly upon stepping away from this situation of helping him with his computer. He had told me a while ago that he was having problem deleting a program that his new wife downloaded. So I told him go to START>SETTINGS>CONTROL PANEL>ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS and locate the program there to delete it, and if he couldnt find it there he would have to look further into his C: drive....but I told him to try that first. He didnt know which program it was, so he for some unknown reason decided to delete everything listed. OMG I had to try very hard to not laugh at him hystarically. His friend come over and spent 3 hours rebuilding his "NEW" computer. The poor guy. :D

12. 2005/05/13
    bluzkat

bluzkat Inactive

just a quick comment...

I have used WinZip (forever) with XP and have never had any *slow* issues. IMO WinZip has always been one of those 'must have' utilities. Have tried several other compression programs, but always wind up going back to WinZip. They also still honor the license I purchased back when I was using Win95 (lifetime upgrades), great value. WinZip

B :cool:

13. 2005/05/13
    yokubaitis

yokubaitis Inactive

WinZIP for Windows XP

In answer to your question, no, XP does not have a winzip-type program, and, yes, WinZIP makes a program for XP. (See http://www.winzip.com/prodpagewz.htm)

14. 2005/05/13
    Welshjim

Welshjim Inactive

yokubaitis--
    But WinXP does. See posts #4 and #6 above. I have run no tests, however, to compare it to WinZip. I assume the WinXP compression program is only to zip and unzip without ability to password protect or span disks, for example.

15. 2005/05/15
    OLDSALTY Lifetime Subscription

OLDSALTY Inactive

As most of you know there are just too many compression programs out there today to keep all the utilities on one system. I use WinAce also $30 and a generous full feature trial period. Check out the pic below for all the different types of compression that WinAce will accommodate. You can get the trial at the WinAce Site .

Last edited: 2006/08/20
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.