1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Lost connectivity

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by 24jedi, 2005/05/02.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2005/05/02
    24jedi Lifetime Subscription

24jedi Well-Known Member Thread Starter

This weekend I tried to help out a friend with XP loaded on a Compaq laptop. The machine had been compromised interms of spyware and some other legacey apps like NetNanny. The machine was loaded with all the good stuff Like Norton System Works, SpyBot, ZoneAlarm, and Pest Control. During the clean-up process using Norton System Works, I think the network settings got hosed.

With the Laptop connected to my LAN, the PC setup as a DHCP client and after a reboot, the PC netowrk connections always come up to 169.254.X.X. I have rebooted the PC several times connected and unconnected. I have even turned off the firewall. No change. I am a network admin and have exhausted my bag of tricks.

If I staticly assign IP, Subnet mask, Gateway and DNS, I can:
    - Ping an IP with success.
    - I cannot ping a FQDN ping www.msnbc.com "connection timed out. "
    - I cannot get a web page.
    - I have also flushed DNS.

It appears that any DNS or DHCP seetings somehow got corrupt.

I am thinking of removing TCP/IP and rebooting the laptop.
    Then re-install TCP/IP, reboot the box.

Got any other suggestions ????

2. 2005/05/02
    Newt

Newt Inactive

Can't be done on XP.

Similar effect if you run the following that sets TCP/IP back to it's defaults.

netsh int ip reset c:\netsh-reset.txt

(note the filename you use is up to you but there must be one and since it will have the rusults of the reset, make it a file you can locate later if you want to)

You are more likely to benefit from LSPFix though. It repairs damage that removal of some spyware is known to cause. I'd at least try it first. As noted on the link page, the applet is small enough to easily fit on a floppy.

Newt,

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2005/05/03
    24jedi Lifetime Subscription

24jedi Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Problem Solved

Newt,

Thanks. I arrived at the same conclusion as you yesterday afternoon. I found virtually the same tool at another website. WinsockFix

http://www.tek-tips.com/faqs.cfm?pid=779&fid=4625

With one exception if you read the whole article:

Because the XP OS is SP2, I ran the following at the command line, which worked. See special note for SP2 users in the article.

Code:
    c:\netsh winsock reset catalog
    For the purpose of the windowsbbs search engine:
    Lost Connectivity after Registry or Malware Cleanup

This appears to be a problem with malware removal software. Should this be in some FAQ under the Security\Spyware section??

Thanks,

-Don

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.