1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

XP Disk Cleanup not working

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by sir gerald, 2005/05/01.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2005/05/01
    sir gerald

sir gerald Inactive Thread Starter

I've tried several times to run the Windows Disk Cleanup utility but can't get it to work.
    It comes up with the "Compressing old files" bar, there's a few seconds of disk activity and then it just stalls.

Anybody ever have this problem before ?

~

2. 2005/05/01
    surferdude2

surferdude2 Inactive

Yes, literally thousands have had that problem. The accepted fix is to uncheck the "Compress old Files" box and do not use that part of the Disk Cleanup. It really isn't a good feature anyway.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2005/05/01
    surferdude2

surferdude2 Inactive

A more permanent fix can be had by manually editing the Registry and removing the Key responsible for this option appearing. That way the choice is removed completely from the applet. The Key is:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VolumeCaches\Compress old files]

Alternately, copy/paste the following script to Notepad and save as nocomp.reg on your Desktop or wherever. Then double click it and allow it to merge (clear) the Key.

Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\[COLOR=Black]Windows[/COLOR]\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VolumeCaches\Compress old files]

Last edited: 2005/05/01
  5. 2005/05/02
    Newt

Newt Inactive

Or if you are hardheaded like I tend to be, you can let it run to completion (takes a looooong time). Next time it will take less than half that long. After about the 3rd or 4th time and if you do the cleanup once a month or so, it will run in a couple of minutes.

I still have no idea if it does any useful thing for me but by gum, it runs and runs quickly.

Newt,
  6. 2005/05/03
    sir gerald

I have a box for "Compress drive to save disk space" under the General tab, for disk properties ... but it's already unchecked.

I always assumed this had nothing to do with the "Compress old files" that comes up when you start the Disk Cleanup.

Which makes sense, since it's unchecked and Disk Cleanup still wants to compress the old files.
    It doesn't seem to be offering me any choice here.

I hope my logic makes sense.

Newt ... I let it run for several hours yesterday, but aside from the initial 30 seconds of disk activity ... it just sat there.

surferdude ... I'll give the registry option a try.
    I hate messing with my registry though.
    It just has an ominous feel to it whenever I'm digging down through the levels. Sometimes I'm afraid that I'll get lost and never find my way back out.

~

7. 2005/05/03
    surferdude2

surferdude2 Inactive

The "Compress Drive to Save Disk Space" is not what I was referring to. You'll find the "Compress Old Files" options AFTER you select Disk Cleanup.

It won't be an option if you do the Registry edit proposed. It wouldn't be necessary to edit the Registry, just don't tag that box, if you always run Disk Cleanup from the GUI.

I think the problem may be when you run the Disk Cleanup via the command mode (cleanmgr.exe). If you have previously performed a /sageset run that specified to compress old files and subsequently do a /sagerrun run you may be opting for the compression without realizing it.

This problem has been around for a long time and the Registry edit isn't a new idea. It has been well received and proven to be effective for the relief of this problem. You can Google it up for some more opinions. Personally, I don't believe in compressing my data files with anything other than WinZip (if at all) because I can use it outside the OS if need be. With the big cheap HD's we have now days, it's just not worth any risk to compress using an OS method for compression and risk not being able to recover the data in a pinch using normal procedures. I guess you could say, I consider the Registry editing less of a risk than the file compression. ;)

8. 2005/05/03
    martinr121 Lifetime Subscription

martinr121 Inactive

Hey Dude, Hi Newt et. al.

Assuming you delete the key as suggested, what happens to the previously compressed files? do they uncompress? If not, can they still be read by Windows?

Martin

9. 2005/05/03
    surferdude2

surferdude2 Inactive

Hi Martin, The Key being deleted has no effect on decompressing the files. All you have to do to decompress them is right-click and you'll see the option offered. They can still be read by Windows in either mode.

10. 2005/05/03

martinr121 Inactive

Thanks Dude

11. 2005/05/05

martinr121 Inactive

Hey Dude: Saved: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VolumeCaches\Compress old files]
    As: nocomp.reg, clicked, got script run querie from MSFT spyware, ok'ed, got normal "do you want to add..." from windows, selected yes, got error message, "can't use this script to edit registry" or words to that effect, Drilled down to key in regedit, deleted (backup first this time)

Went to disc cleanup in disc managment, compress old files gone. Like it that way, will leave it like that.

Thanks again for sharing your vast knowledge.

Take care,

Martin

12. 2005/05/06
    sdrogerson

sdrogerson Inactive

where is that check box? I have never come across it?
    Sorry ot be thick!

13. 2005/05/06
    surferdude2

surferdude2 Inactive

It's part of the Disk Cleanup Applet display. Access it by:

Open My Computer > right Click any HD > Properties > Disk Cleanup > and scroll the list of possible items to be cleaned. You'll see Compress Old File listed there. If it isn't listed, someone may have performed the Registry edit I mentioned.

14. 2005/05/07
    Tom Emmelot

Tom Emmelot Well-Known Member

Hello,

i never use compres files anymore, i ended up with a compleet corrupted HDD and could install XP again!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

Regards,

TOM

15. 2005/05/07
    surferdude2

surferdude2 Inactive

I don't blame you Tom. If you want to remove it completely from the list of options in the Disk Cleanup applet, Just Run This Reg file and it will be gone.

16. 2005/05/09
    Mr. Fix It

Mr. Fix It Inactive

Be Patient with Disk Cleanup --- It works !!!

...hey people! --- How is it going? --- Disk Cleanup works just fine as long as you are patient and run the utility on a regular basis - perhaps once-a-week, let's say. --- It works better and faster on better and faster computers. --- Disk Cleanup may appear to be stalling/freezing/standing still but don't be discouraged by that - it may be due to a disorganized hard drive with lots of Internet use. --- Don't hack your registry just to ignore something that takes a little time - that would be like not brushing your teeth because you are in too much of a hurry.

17. 2005/05/09
    sir gerald

as sdrogerson said ... "i hate to be thick" ... but when I start the Disk Cleanup Applet, I don't have a see a box for Compress Old Files.

The Applet opens to the General tab with the picture of the disk showing Capacity ... Used Space ... Free Space - but there is no Compress Old Files option box.
    Is this where I'm supposed to be seeing it ?
    I've checked the other tabs also ... Tools, Hardware etc.

I'm wondering if anyone else also doesn't have this option.

This is a company computer, so I'm reluctant to mess with the registry.
    I am having a lot of problems here recently that I suspect could be fixed with a Disk Cleanup.
    Mainly ... the system will freeze and there will be tremendous amount of disk activity for anywhere from 30 to 60 seconds or more. Then everything starts working again but the system runs very slow.
    Usually a reboot is required.

I've got 11GB of free space - recently defragged - so it's not a space problem.

thanks for the replies ... so far I haven't made any progress here.

~

18. 2005/05/09
    sir gerald

Hey Mr. F ... it's not going ... yet.
    I brush my teeth every night before going to bed ... so I thought that'd be a good time to start a Disk Cleanup also.
    It sat there all night and when I got up, it was still sitting there "Calculating "

~

19. 2005/05/09
    surferdude2

surferdude2 Inactive

Click the Disk Cleanup button that's at the right side of the pie chart for the drive. That's on the first page (General Tab). THEN you'll see the Disk Cleanup Applet screen with all the options to scroll through.

20. 2005/05/09
    Mr. Fix It

Mr. Fix It Inactive

Sir Gerald, I'm in Dallas too...!!!

...well, that is a problem. You know Sir Gerald, I'm from Dallas too! --- Yahoo! --- Any 3rd party utilities on your machine? --- But the better question would be, what is your machine made of - processor, etc. and how much RAM do you have? --- The sucker is supposed to work and it will if your machine is configured correctly along with having enough RAM to keeep the freakin' thing stable. --- Tell me about your set-up and I'll bet I can get it going. --- OK Sir Gerald?

21. 2005/05/09
    sir gerald

surferdude - when the Disk Cleanup Applet opens, it jumps right to Calculating.
    I get a progress bar --- and below it, it says Scanning: Compress old files.

There's no option for turning the Compress old files off.

So ... that's where I'm stuck.

Question ... what are these old files ?
    Are we talking mainly temporary internet files ?
    If so, is there a way to manually remove them.
    I seem to remember that on Windows 98, there was a separate directory for Windows Temporary Internet Files.
    Is there also one for XP computers ?

~

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.