1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

LCD versus CRT

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Rockit, 2005/04/02.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2005/04/02
    Rockit

Rockit Inactive Thread Starter

I'm having a hard time trying to decide which way to go. I got a LCD and it turned out to be defective on the first try and questionable on the 2nd go around. It had back light issues and from what I've seen in the Dell forums this is a common problem along with dead pixels.

So I thought I'd throw this up and see what kind of comments I get.

I like a black desktop with bold and sharp color's.

I also like a quick responce time.

I'm looking at these two monitor's

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/...us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=320-4221&link_number=

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=24-116-234&depa=1

Thanks for any and all comments
    Rockit

2. 2005/04/02
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

Arie,

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2005/04/02
    Rockster2U

Rockster2U Geek Member

I'd put my money on this one. Spec-wise, it appears that the refresh rate is slower but I'd bet even money that this will outperform that Dell in every aspect you've mentioned and warranty-wise, you can't go wrong. Should you want an LCD, just read that next quarter one can anticipate some short supply on key mfg components so the translation is the oversupply situation will be drawing to a close and we can expect prices to inch back up on these puppies by the third quarter. Real plain talk - don't wait too long.

;)

5. 2005/04/02
    charlesvar

charlesvar Inactive Alumni

Hi Rockit,

If space is not a concern, I think a very good CRT is a better deal than a flat panel that you have to pay two or three times as much for to get comparable quality.

And I still think a flat panel has issues with off-axis viewing, motion and brightness.

In an office environment, no question, the flat panel is the way to go, where space saving and the issues with off-axis viewing and brightness are virtues.

Regards - Charles

6. 2005/04/02
    Scott Smith

Scott Smith Inactive Alumni

If your going to go LCD you need to go 100% DVI to elliminate the D to A conversion.
    I think the high end Dells are built by Sony but not 100% sure.
    I know their Flat tube CRTs were done by Sony.

I have always been a Viewsonic fan but those Samsung's look like they have a pretty good bang for the buck.

7. 2005/04/02
    Rockit

Thanks Guy's

Arie: I have seen the NEC's and really liked the glass shield that the one I saw had. Seemed to brighten and sharpen up the display.

Rockster: I almost jumped at the Samsung, Then I went to BestBuy and looked at it sitting right next to this new Sony

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INT...s&CategoryName=cpu_Displays_FlatPanelLCDs_18"

And I hate to say it but the Sony looked better to me. Sharper, Clearer, Brighter.

Scott: I have both a Analog and DVI Output on my new ATI X800 PCI Express Video Card.

Charles: I'm starting to agree with you and after looking around and trying out that LCD that had such high reviews, and having it turn out to be such a dissapointment, I'm starting to think I would be better off with a CRT. Just not totally convinced yet. When ever I'm going to spend this much cash I like to look at all the options so I will be happy with my decision for at least a few years. The 17" Hitachi I bought 5 years ago turned out to be a good investment and has proved to be a quality and reliable display.

I'm not really concerned about size since I have plenty of room for either a CRT or LCD.

I did hear the same thing about LCD's prices going up so I'm trying real hard to make up my mind.

Thanks
    Rockit

Last edited: 2005/04/02
  8. 2005/04/09
    Rockit

9. 2005/04/09
    Rockster2U

Rockster2U Geek Member

Nice Looking Monitor and great choice - Specs out real nice too. Hope that keeps you black around the edges. Now you just have to cut a hole in the wall to make it look like a surface mounted LCD ...........

;)

10. 2005/04/18
    silverwork

silverwork Inactive

When I got my LCD I had to really think about value and whether a CRT was better for me. I play a lot of fast games online (Quake3 etc) and was very worried about ghosting, response times and image quality so I shopped around a lot and read countless forums and review sites.

I eventually decided to get an IIyama Prolite 431 due to the fact that it suffers from no ghosting, has fast resonse time, but largely due to the fact that the image quality is so high. I would never, ever go back to a CRT now - the whole experience of using my PC is now enhanced enormously. The native res is 1280x1024 which is what I like for desktop and all games, so it worked out well....as you simply must run the LCD at native res to get the quility picture.

Using a DVI lead gives superb picture and the minimal look on the desk top is so good.

However, At my company we order many flat screens and all of them (all big brands) are really quite poor in comparsion to the IIYama. They have poor picture quality and look washed out or blurry - even at native res, so read as many reveiws and forum articles as you can.

11. 2005/04/23
    olamoree

olamoree Inactive

Size DOES count!

I have a Sony Triniton 20" that has delighted me for 8 years now, with no problems and was a pull and cost me $400 then ($2,000 new, then). Grid aperture, .23, bright, big, stable and perfect colors. If you want speed and good colors, then CRT is the way to go. If you want space saving, like to spend money and impress your friends, then LCD and big. But there is NO substitute for size! I would say 20" minimum which ever way you go, and hey, consider doubling your pleasure! The Sony and NEC Multi-Sync's can't be beat. Here's a 22" pull (pull=proven working Grade A, 6 month free exchange warranty!) NEC Multi Sync .24 aperture grille, flat screen shipped for under $200 and BIG. Get a pair--one for each eye! Don't like white? Get out the spray can. https://www.azatek.com/details.asp?iid=603

Size DOES matter.....

Ali

12. 2005/04/25
    Dave932932

Dave932932 Inactive

I have an 17" Hewlett Packard f1703 monitor and I have no dead pixel, stuck pixel or anything like that. Playing Halo and UT2004 is smooth, well except for the fact that my MX 440 card is getting old.

LCDs are generally very good, very reliable and save power. But they then to be very expensive due to a up to 40% reject rate out of the factory. Unfortunately, most manufacturers accept up to 7 dead or stuck pixels in thre middle of the screen! Also responce time in ms (milli-seconds) can be decieving. Often the test is run when the pixel changes from gray to black or some other change with minimal contrast which makes to misleading numbers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.