1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Wireless Network with Hardware Firewall

Discussion in 'Networking (Hardware & Software)' started by Rockit, 2005/03/20.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2005/03/20
    Rockit

Rockit Inactive Thread Starter

I need to setup a wireless Network soon and here's what I got:

Incoming Cable connected to a Motorola Cable Modem .. hooked to my Main computers built in ethernet connection on the motherboard.

I would like to buy Linksys. And here's what I want to do.

Protect all equipment with a hardware firewall.
    Send signal upstairs to Dell Laptop and Homebuilt Desktop.
    Leave Main Computer hooked up thru the ethernet connection.
    Share Printer that's hooked to the Laptop.

What do I need to start shopping for?

Thanks
    Rockit

2. 2005/03/20
    Close_Hauled

Close_Hauled Inactive

You may want to consider a Netgear.

Linksys makes some outstanding routers, but in this case, you might want to consider a Netgear FWG114P. The FWG114P functions as a print server as well as a firewall. It also has an RS-232 port for a 56k modem, or 128k ISDN circuit. You can use the modem to dial in to your network and access the Internet through your broadband connection. The Netgear will also use the modem to roll over to the dial-up connection in the event that the broadband connection fails. This way your home network will have connectivity.

If you really want Linksys then you should consider the WCG200 , the WRT54G , WRT55AG. Use the WCG200 if you want to simplify your setup by combining the cable modem and router in one box. Use the WRT54G if you are happy with the modem you have now and don't mind having two devices take up space. Use the WRT55AG if you want to support a broader range of wireless protocols.

If you need further assistance, please post the make and model of your laptop, along with the wireless network card that it uses.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2005/03/20
    Rockit

Thanks Allot,
    Do I just look in device manager to see what kind of wireless network card to get for the Dell Laptop?

Rockit

5. 2005/03/20
    Close_Hauled

Close_Hauled Inactive

Yes.

The wireless network card in the device manager is all we need.

Also, when setting up for wireless, it is always a good idea to update the system BIOS of your computer, the drivers for your network card, and your routers/firewall software. The reason for this is that wireless security protocols are still evolving. You want to make make sure that all three are supporting the latest protocols.

6. 2005/03/22
    Rockit

Heres what she has in device manager

Broadcom 440x 10/100 intragated controller

Texas Instrument PCI-1510 Cardbus Controller

Thanks
    Rockit

7. 2005/03/22
    Close_Hauled

Close_Hauled Inactive

That's a wired network card.

The information that you posted is for your built in ethernet port and your card bus controller. You should have a second network card in there for your wireless. I just want to see what protocols your wireless supports.

Unless of course you do not have a wireless card built-in. If you do not then you will need Linksys or Netgear wireless card for your card bus adapter.

8. 2005/03/22
    Rockit

Shows how much I know about this :confused:

Yeah I need a card for her laptop and a router. I just don't know which one would work out the best. I keep hearing Linksys from friends but I don't have any idea. My new build (the main computer where the cable comes in) has this:

LANPARTY UT Ultra-D exclusive features
    Dual Gigabit LAN
    nVIDIA ActiveArmor
    (Embedded hardware firewall & network solution)

http://www.dfi.com.tw/Product/xx_pr....jsp?PRODUCT_ID=3471&CATEGORY_TYPE=LP&SITE=US

So if I order this: http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=33&scid=35&prid=601

And This: http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=33&scid=36&prid=642

Do I need anything else like cables or anything?

Does this router have a hardware firewall?

Thanks
    Rockit

Last edited: 2005/03/22
  9. 2005/03/23
    Close_Hauled

Close_Hauled Inactive

Sorry getting back so late on this.

Yes, you have it right. I take it that you are going to connect the desktop directly to the router via Ethernet cable. I recommend Belkin snagless cables. I also recommend getting them in different colors if you need more than one. It makes it easier to figure out which wire is going where.

The router has a built in firewall. Just make sure that you update the router firewall on a regular basis.

Are you gaming with the desktop?

10. 2005/03/23
    Rockit

No Gaming here. Thanks For the Help. I will post back as soon as the stuff arrives.

Cheers
    Rockit

11. 2005/04/13
    Rockit

Got the stuff today. I ended up getting NetGear 802 11b Kit. I would have got the g one but this was to good a deal to pass up. Got the router and card for 33 bucks with a 35 dollor rebate. 9 dollors shipping so ended up costing 7 bucks for the whole thing. Setup was a snap and seems to be working fine. One question.

What do I have to do to enable the hardware firewall action. I only installed the drivers to the laptop to recognise the card. I really don't want a bunch of worthless crud installed. I just want to have the firewall working. Does it do it's thing automaticly?

It's a Netgear cable/dsl wireless router MR814v2
    Suppose to have nat or somethin and another one?

Thanks
    Rockit

Last edited: 2005/04/13
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.