1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Gigabit networking speed?

Discussion in 'Networking (Hardware & Software)' started by RexGrigg, 2005/03/10.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2005/03/10
    RexGrigg

RexGrigg Inactive Thread Starter

Ok, I have two Windows XP machines hooked to a Gigabit switch. Both machines have Gigabit NICs. The best speed I can get transferring large files between the two machines is around 9-10 MBs. This is pretty much the same speed I got when both machines were attached to a 100mbs switch. ]

I'm using FTP to move the files as it seems to give a slight speed increase over native Windows protocols. Both machines are using SATA drives that have shown they can sustain transfer speeds of around 30-50 MBs.

Is there some tweak I can use to increase transfer speeds or did I waste my money on the Gigabit switch and CAT6 cabling?

2. 2005/03/10
    fotoflo

fotoflo Banned

same here for speed but would like to increase if possible. I beleive the transfer rates is a maximum possible depending on demand, at least for the serial drives, so the actual rate would be the lowest common deniminator of the transfer components. I was thinking of doing raid for the data drive so the access time for data from several machines would be faster, if not the transfer rate.

Roger.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2005/03/10
    Scott Smith

Scott Smith Inactive Alumni

I have a simular setup to yours.

2 PIV 3.2 machines with SATA RAID Zero on both machines with Gigibit connections and a gigibit switch.

I moved MPG2 files at 1 gig per min.
    Those are compressed which may affect speeds.

5. 2005/03/25
    adamt56

adamt56 Inactive

Imo . . .

you wasted money on gig. equipment.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.