1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Opinions on Office Software

Discussion in 'Other PC Software' started by Kazper, 2005/03/10.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2005/03/10
    Kazper

Kazper Inactive Thread Starter

Greetings!

I'm looking to purchase an office suite for my Windows XP system. I use Star Office for Unix, but don't care much for its Windows counterpart. On my Macs I use Mariner Write and Calc, but they don't do Windows. So I think I'm down to either Microsoft Office or Corel Office Suite.

I would appreciate your input on these products, or any other suggestion you may have.

Thanks!

2. 2005/03/10
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Have you looked at Ability Office I have never used it being a long time user of MS Office, which suites my needs very well, but is $$$$.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2005/03/10
    Zander

Zander Geek Member Alumni

How about Open Office? I've never used it myself but my daughter uses it for her college stuff and she seems to like it. You can't beat the price. It's free. :)

5. 2005/03/10
    Zander

Zander Geek Member Alumni

Here's another one but once again, I've never used it. $39.95 602PC Suite

6. 2005/03/14
    Kazper

Kazper Inactive Thread Starter

Thank you...

Thank you for all of the great advice!

I decided to download and check out Corel Office Suite 12, but it was so flaky I couldn't even get it to work.

Next I tried Ability Office. It looks really great! It installed without a hitch. However, when I tried running it my hard drive spun for a few seconds then nothing happened (this happened with ALL of the programs... "Write," "Calc," "Paint," and so on). I checked Ability's FAQ web site and nothing was listed. So, I emailed them and still no reply.

I didn't try Open Office. I remember having compatibility issues with it in the past.

As for 602PC Suite. It doesn't look bad, but I just get the feeling that they might be thinking "Well, we gave it a good try, but we're just not making enough money to stay open." (That's happened to me FAR too many times in the past).

So, I ended up with the standard. I hate giving Micro$oft money for products that try to tell you how they *should* be used. I searched eBay and got a legitimate, unopened copy of M$ Office XP Pro for under $100. I guess I'm happy with that :)

Thanks again kids!

7. 2005/03/18
    James Martin

James Martin Geek Member

Just to add to this....

I found a suite called ThinkFree Office for $5.00 at Rose's discount store....It is still supported and can be updated for free.

8. 2005/03/24
    thescribe

thescribe Inactive

I really like the Open source office program that is the basis for Star Office, unfortunately when you need to work with other computers and exchange programs and information, I find that I'm forced to go with Microsoft. Maybe a few years down the road Open Source programs will be more compatable but right now there are more bugs than I care to deal with.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.