1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

New Browsers, Same Unwanted Ads

Discussion in 'Security and Privacy' started by charlesvar, 2005/03/03.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2005/03/03
    charlesvar

charlesvar Inactive Alumni Thread Starter

http://www.wired.com/news/business/0,1367,66726,00.html?tw=rss.TOP

Knew it was too good to last.

Regards - Charles

2. 2005/03/03
    BillyBob Lifetime Subscription

BillyBob Inactive

hey Charles

I saw it coming too. Or at least figured it would be.

I read the article and saw nothing that I personally did not expect.

BillyBob

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2005/03/03
    shadowhawk

shadowhawk Inactive

But surely the good folks at Mozilla will release updates as needed so Firefox users won't be troubled, right?

5. 2005/03/03
    Zander

Zander Geek Member Alumni

I imagine they will but I wonder this. When it starts happening, will those that constantly harp on how MS has to constantly update it's browser when "it should have been done right in the first place" also do the same with Mozilla? It's a fact of life. The more popular an OS or program becomes, the more people will start digging into the code in an effort to find a hole in it that they can exploit. And, they will find them. :rolleyes: :)

6. 2005/03/03
    sparrow

sparrow Inactive

Still, I'd rather have a new tire with the latest technology (treads, e.g. tabs) than an old tire with lots of patched holes - on my vehicle.

7. 2005/03/03
    James

James Inactive

Exactly, Sparrow. Mozilla/FF/TB... are open source. Millions of users around the world are using these new programs and thousands are writing code to keep its vulnerabilities and security breaches patched as quickly as possible. IE is old code... its millions upon millions of lines of code have been easily hacked and exploited. Hopefully IE 7 will make an appearance soon and these problems resolved (at least temporarily). Until then I'm sticking with FF. And I still have not experienced any spyware or malware.

8. 2005/03/03
    charlesvar

I think Sparrow & James are correct - IE6 is "old" while the others have the advantage of more up to date code.

That, advantage however will "wear" over time, and they will become more vulnerable as the code(s) is examined. The issue really is the response by developers, will they respond in a timely fashion, or bury their heads in the sand the way MS did up until recently?

Speaking of MS, can't wait to see what IE7 is like. IE7 was not on the radar, originally slated for Longhorne, has a beta due out mid-year. Has MS learned from the IE fiasco?

Regards - Charles

Last edited: 2005/03/03
  9. 2005/03/03
    Zander

Zander Geek Member Alumni

Well, I have nothing against Firefox. It's one slick browser. The only reason I don't switch permantly is I always find myself having to go to IE in order to do this or that. It get's old fast. I have several "tools" I use on a regular basis that don't yet work in Firefox. I suspect though, that eventually they will. Maybe then, I'll be able to make the switch completely. Problem is, by that time, Firefox will probably be running on patched tires too. :D

10. 2005/03/03
    charlesvar

Same here. I'm sure this will change with time, I hope so.

Regards - Charles

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.