1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Laptop power settings

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Basher, 2005/03/03.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2005/03/03
    Basher

Basher Inactive Thread Starter

Hi,

I have a laptop running Windows XP Professional and cannot find a way to change the power settings for a limited account. When I try, I get a message regarding insufficient priviledges to make the change.

Presumably the settings, such as the time delay before the hard drive is put into it's idle state, needs to be made from an administrators accounts! But how?

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards Basher

2. 2005/03/03
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Try this .....

Navigate to C:\WINDOWS\system32\powercfg.cpl, right click > Run As and in the dialogue box select 'The following User' > Administrator. Open up Control Panel > make the changes you require and then repeat the above and recheck 'Current User'.

Don't know if the settings will stick, but worth a try?

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2005/03/03
    Basher

Hi Pete,

Tried what you said but when I ran the power management program from a limited account with administrative rights the values it showed were those that are current for the other administrative accounts on the laptop.

The problem is that if I run the power management program from a limited account as a limited user it shows different settings than those shown when ran from an administrator account.

It appears that when a limited account is created Windows asigns a default set of values for power management. Perhaps these values are stored in the registry and need to be changed there?

Anyone any ideas?

Regards Basher.

5. 2005/03/03
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Yes, I was afraid of that :(

Another possible approach ....

Navigate as before to C:\WINDOWS\system32\powercfg.cpl

Right click > Properties > Security tab

Click on Limited User and allow to modify?

You will need to be logged on as Administrator to do this.

6. 2005/03/03
    Not_a_quitter

Not_a_quitter Inactive

That's all it is about then.
    Limited accounts won't be able to see the actual power saving settings, but the ones set by the admin are used.
    Guess we could call that a "settings display" bug cos I don't see why just showing the actual settings to a limited account wud be a big security pb?

7. 2005/03/03
    Basher

Hi,

yes that would seem to explain it. I will do a test to see if the values shown in the limited account are incorrect according to what the laptop is actually doing.

Regards Basher

8. 2005/03/03
    Not_a_quitter

Not_a_quitter Inactive

They are, I've tried on mine.
    Couldn't find any note about this in th M$ kb though, so I still don't see the point in hiding the real values.

9. 2005/03/03
    Newt

Newt Inactive

Basher - if none of the above work, try logging on as the limited user then navigating to C:\WINDOWS\system32\powercfg.cpl.

Right-click the file, click on Run as and use your admin credentials.

That should allow you to make changes but not allow the limited user to make any.

Newt,
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.