1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Right Click Causes Crashes

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by LeslieBeach, 2005/02/21.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2005/02/21
    LeslieBeach

LeslieBeach Inactive Thread Starter

When I right click on a file in Windows Explorer, the system freezes and then I get the message: "Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close" and have the option to send or not send a report to Microsoft. After clicking "Don't Send," my desk top reappears and life is good again. This seems to occur when I right click on any file in any folder and even with files that appear on my desk top. This problem does NOT occur when in an application like Word, Outlook, etc. It only seems to be a problem when accessing files in Windows Explorer. I'm running XP Home w/SP1 on a 400mhz PII with 256 RAM. Any suggestions or ideas? Thanks!!!!

2. 2005/02/21
    surferdude2

surferdude2 Inactive

This is often caused by some non-Microsoft application having written a conflicting command onto the context menu. You can check and troubleshoot that by getting a context menu editor and using it to disable all the non-MS items for testing purposes. If you have ?? using it, post back. Basically what you'll want to do is run the program and look for the column header "Company" and click that to sort by company. Then double click and choose disable for each/every non-MS entry found. Then go test for effect. If that solves the problem, you may want to go back and try them individually to isolate the exact culprit.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2005/02/21
    Newt

Newt Inactive

Unless sending the trouble report to Microsoft causes you PC problems, it's usually a good idea. The more reports of a particular problem they get
    - the more likely they are to diagnose a cause
    - the more urgent they will see the need to fix that problem

Newt,
  5. 2005/02/22
    LeslieBeach

Progress!

Thanks Surferdude2! I downloaded the context menu editor and found the culprit. I disabled the shell extension for a program I downloaded recently called Audio Converter. I can now right click any file and perform any function on the menu EXCEPT for "Properties. " When I select Properties after right clicking a file, the system still freezes and I get the "Windows Explorer has encountered a problem..." message again. This does not occur when I right click and select Properties on a folder. It only happens on a file. I disabled all non-Microsoft shell extensions and this made no difference. Although I can now manipulate my files by right clicking, I'd still like to figure out what is causing this problem too. Thanks!

6. 2005/02/22
    surferdude2

surferdude2 Inactive

I'd suggest uninstalling the offending program in view of it's demonstrated interference bug. The remaining problem may well be another manifestation of it.

it could also have done permanent damage to the shell and will require other action to fix, such as running sfc /scannow or a repair install.

7. 2005/02/23
    Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff

8. 2005/02/23
    JoeHobart

JoeHobart Inactive Alumni

I disabled all non-Microsoft shell extensions and this made no difference.
    The right-click->properties operation will invoke 'Property sheet' extensions. You sure you got em all?

If you did, run the dump file it generates through the tool in my signature and lets see why it crashed.

9. 2005/02/23
    LeslieBeach

Problem Fixed

I uninstalled the offending program via Add/Remove Programs and the problem has dissappeared. The right-click->properties operation now works fine...no more crashes. :) I'll contact the makers of the software (Audio Converter) and let them know of the bug. Thanks all for your responses and suggestions!

10. 2005/02/23
    surferdude2

surferdude2 Inactive

You're getting lots of good help here so this thing is likely to be solved soon.

Please post the link for that Audio Converter proggy so I can take a look at it. Is it free or free to try? I could install it and see what it does to my system in order to get some clues.

That link could also serve the purpose of warning others about the possibility of a bug in the program. Restore points strongly recommended. ;)

11. 2005/02/23
    LeslieBeach

Audio Converter

I downloaded a trial version of Audio Converter from C/Net's www.download.com, then decided to purchase it ($20)from their website at www.audioconverter.info. I emailed them about the problem but have not heard back. Thanks!!! :)

12. 2005/02/23
    surferdude2

surferdude2 Inactive

Thanks for that Leslie. I'm gonna dl it and see what makes it anti-social. I'm just a bit of a masochist at heart. :D

13. 2005/02/23
    surferdude2

surferdude2 Inactive

Well, I ran Audio Converter ver. 5 through the paces and found it to work as promised. No problem in sight. No shell extension bug.

Perhaps you got a bad install Leslie. Since you are on the hook for $20, try installing it in Safe Mode with your AV disabled. I also noted that in the options of the program menu it has "Shell Extensions" listed and allows checking/unchecking some items. I didn't need to do that but perhaps you could benefit. The bug may be system specific and who knows what differences we might have.

I rolled back out of the install using GoBack and will call it a wash.

I see they offer a 30-day money back guarantee on downloads.

14. 2005/02/23
    LeslieBeach

Thanks!!!

Glad it worked okay for you. I'll try to re-install but I think I'll wait to see if I get a reply on the email I sent them. I think your right that it must have been something quirky with my installation. Thanks again for checking it out and pointing me in the right direction! :D

Last edited: 2005/02/23
  15. 2005/02/25
    Mr. Fix It

Mr. Fix It Inactive

Rick Click & Clack

...this is a bit off-topic but, since you have an older computer, you may want to up the SDRAM in that P-II of yours to the maximum of 384 or 512 mbs....and also make sure you install SP2...I recently retired a 333mhz. P-II....very reliable, sturdy processor...R.I.P....any way, I see you got your right-click back and that's cool

16. 2005/02/25
    LeslieBeach

Thanks!

Thanks Mr. Fix It. I'll check that out. I upgraded to 256mb when I dumped Win98SE for XP. My system has run much better and faster since I did that over a year ago but at times I wish it was faster. By upgrading and adding a 40GB HD, it really breathed new life into my 6 year old computer. I bought my kids a high falootin' Shuttle with 2+ghz P4 processor but I still like to use my PII. I've been holding off adding SP2 due to some of the problems I've heard it can cause. Is it better now?

Last edited: 2005/02/25
  17. 2005/02/25
    Newt

Newt Inactive

If your system is running well ('well' as in you aren't having lots of errors or specific problems) then SP2 should be no problem at all. However, if your original issue isn't completely resolved, I don't suggest running the SP until it is.

Good idea to
    - download the SP and install it from your hard drive
    - clear all temp folders, temp internet files, etc. before you start
    - my own preference is also to open a cmd prompt and key in
    Code:
    chkdsk /r
    and answer the prompts to let check disk run just to have the file system in as good shape as possible

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.