1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

What are the default Services?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Suzette, 2005/02/16.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2005/02/16
    Suzette

Suzette Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Ok. This is a complete "blind" area for me. I have a laptop that semi-crashed. Had tons of spy/ad/mal-ware. Those were removed. Norton A/V scanned and removed 5 Trojan.xxx. The computer is clean and boots well until I goto Microsoft Windows Update to make sure I have the Latest-&-Greatest updates. The errors guided me, which was cool until I found, "every single service available/necessary, is "disabled ".

The question--How and/or where do I reinstate the services to a default level. Please don't tell me format. Seems that's all XP understands...;(

2. 2005/02/16
    surferdude2

surferdude2 Inactive

Last edited: 2005/02/16

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2005/02/16
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

That MS page shows the default services settings for XP prior to service pack 2. However, using the default is not recommended because unless your computer is part of network domain, half of those services can be set to manual or disabled, as they do degrade system performance if unnecessarily started.

See this "SAFE" configuration:
    http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm

These is my configuration of Services:
    http://members.cox.net/aturrisi/xp_services.gif

5. 2005/02/17
    Suzette

My suggestions to myself was to try a reinstallation/repair. This worked for 3/4 of the services. They came back. The other services were manually changed. The laptop still has tons of either Spy/Ad/Mal-ware of which I don't know where to begin.

Just wanted to share the thought of "repairing the o/s" before "formatting ".

As for all the junk, is there any other "Great" application other than HiJackThis? I don't see any good comments about that application.....;(

6. 2005/02/17
    surferdude2

surferdude2 Inactive

All you have to do is double click any disabled service and you'll be allowed to set it to match your usage pattern. Look in the "Startup Type" window and scroll it to what you want.

As for cleaning the drive, post your HiJackThis log in the Security forum here and that'll get the attention of the resident experts.

7. 2005/02/17
    Suzette

We do not use HiJackThis application. I've not read any good comments about the application. There's alot of problems posted that pertain to HiJackThis, therefore I'm not very comfortable having my users install an application that is not stable or user friendly enough for them to understand and use.

Is there an applciation yet, that will take care of ALL the junk out there??? Remove and protect against the many threats...(SpyWare, AdWare and MalWare.) I've tried SpySweeper, SpyBot S&D, MS AntiSpyWare. Is there "one" that will do it all?

8. 2005/02/17
    surferdude2

surferdude2 Inactive

Suzette, HiJackThis is not a problem application. On the contrary, it finds the problems that you have. Perhaps that explains why you see it associated with problem posts. That's akin to seeing firemen at fires, that doesn't make them bad. It is the single most helpful tool that has ever been developed for adware and spyware detection and removal.

As for one single program to fight Adware & spyware, I recommend SpywareBlaster. It stops the gremlins before they get on your drive so that cleaning them off isn't necessary. You must keep it updated since it currently has a gremlin database that exceeds 3000 and growing.

It doesn't run in the background so no resources are used. It does it's work through the system settings and you'll not realize it aboard. Just don't forget to update it occasionally!

Even then, you may get an occasional bug but that's to be expected. Then you can detect it with HiJackThis and either dump it yourself or post the log in the Security forum here for an expert opinion.

Last edited: 2005/02/17
  9. 2005/02/17
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

There is NO ONE application that will do it all.
    This is because anti-spyware and anti-virus applications rely upon their own internal databases of known troublemakers (definition lists of spyware and viruses). The definitions lists can be updated as new detections rules are released by the software companies. But these companies use their own rulesets and own definitions. There is NO ONE large pool of definitionjs that software companies get their info from.

Thus it is wise to use at least 2-3 anti-spyware tools and at least 1 good antivirus tool for each computer.

This non-standard approach to anti-spyware and anti-virus software keeps network engineers and technicians working.

10. 2005/02/18
    Suzette

Thanks you(s)

Thanks for the replys. I have instructed all my users to use atleast 2 spyware applications and one main anti-virus. Not to mention turning on their firewall.

I now have 3 laptops that are infected with junk. I understand the concept of applications and their own definition lists, however I thought there might be an outstanding single application developed that would help, now that these threats are running rampid. This is very time consuming and makes for computing--no fun any more...;(

Please don't take offense to HiJackThis, but there are so many pc's infected right now, that I need to understand the log myself. And at this time I don't. I don't have the time to figure it out; nor to install the application and test it for the 300 computer I support by myself.....;( What they use is highly up to them. All I'm allowed to do is suggest. And this suggestion would have to be a smaller applciation that "they" can understand also. Pittyful that you can't enjoy a computer that is really depended upon.

I found some interesting articles:
    http://securitypipeline.com/56900729
    http://www.desktoppipeline.com/showArticle.jhtml;?articleId=57703517

Last edited: 2005/02/18
  11. 2005/02/18
    surferdude2

surferdude2 Inactive

I'm sorry if I misinterpreted any of your posts Suzette. I was giving it my best shot and took considerable time to compile and post the necessary graphic file on my web storage for your easy reference. Since I have exhausted my resources without apparently having done you any service, I will back out of this thread and hope that you get what you need from someone else.

Since my participation here is strictly voluntary and you are soliciting free advice, it is only rewarding when both of use understand that concept and what it implies. Moreover, if you will take the time to conduct a search of the archives here, you'll find that what you are asking has been covered many times before. Nothing has changed and there is still no magic software that will totally protect, or even come close to totally protecting, the Windows OS from Virus, adware and spyware. If there was, Microsoft would be very pleased.

All the best.

Last edited: 2005/02/18
  12. 2005/02/18
    BillyBob Lifetime Subscription

BillyBob Inactive

PLEASE lets us know when you find ONE ( 1 ) program that will do it all.

Not only Microsoft but the rest of us users would be very gratefull.

I use several different ones and every one seems to find something that the other don't

As an added note from experience.

Instruct the users to be more carefull when on the Internet. And check the links attached to E-Mails more carefully.

BillyBob

13. 2005/02/18
    Rockster2U

Rockster2U Geek Member

Suzette:
    Understood - both the blindness and the reason why.
    :rolleyes:

14. 2005/02/22
    Rockster2U

Rockster2U Geek Member

Wonder where Suzette went?

:rolleyes:

15. 2005/02/22
    surferdude2

surferdude2 Inactive

I think she may be searching for the one good program to keep all spyware off of her drive. That'll take some time to find. ;)

16. 2005/02/23
    Suzette

Cute

Been finding out that Microsoft's AntiSpyWare (beta--yes, beta version) is working the best so far guys..... It updates itself, doesn't bother the user to do it, puts blocking information in plain english, has option settings that explain to users that are not computer literate--what's going on, what to do....;) It even reports when there's an intrusion at what port-- "trying to get in ".

Rockster2U: Thank you--- "Understood - both the blindness and the reason why." Most of the junk installed is due to the users not installing the Windows Updates as they are announced in their Auto-Updater. "You can lead the horse to the water.....but you can't make it drink ".....

Sadly--I've also found that "XP" stands for "extra picky" and not really up to it's name, extended programming.

Guess there's no reason why we need to keep this thread open. Solution was to format....;( User did not want to wait. User needed computer now.

Have a great day all!!!!!

17. 2005/02/25
    Paulfmco

Paulfmco Inactive

Holy ****, Talk about serious PMS.
    IMHO, maybe a little more prudent surfing, and/or email control and just maybe you wouldn't have to post for help, and then get crabby when someone tries to help. I personally have had excellent results with Firefox.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.