1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

W2K3 Security-how to share drive without login

Discussion in 'Windows Server System' started by barrycohen, 2005/02/16.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2005/02/16
    barrycohen

barrycohen Inactive Thread Starter

Is there any way in windows 2003 that we can allow a drive to be shared out to someone without using Local Users and Groups?

2. 2005/02/16
    Newt

Newt Inactive

Hi barrycohen and welcome to the forum.

Can you explain what you want to do in more detail please. For instance, a server should not need any user logged in to function properly - including sharing resources.

Also, domain or workgroup environment?

Newt,

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2005/02/17
    barrycohen

I want to share a directory/folder out to a particular user who'll be using SMB for linux machines. I suppose it'll be domain environment? since it's a web server. I suppose a user can logon using something like username:password@123.123.123, not sure how SMB works. And I'm not sure of how to go about doing that with Windows 2003 without creating Local users. If I'm not wrong if I create a local user, the user can login to the windows system.
    Can I use the windows File sharing or some other stuffs?

Thanks.

5. 2005/02/17
    Newt

Newt Inactive

Afraid at this point all I have are more questions since I'm still not comfortable that I know what your setup is or exactly what you want to do.

- Web server: so will the files be served up as web-avaialable content and the user getting them via a browser? If so, we are playing by one set of rules and you can ignore the below.

- If you have a folder on machine A and a user on machine B who needs to work with those files, you would set the folder on A to be shared and then the user on B could simply connect and work with the files as long as A was up and running. No logon to A would be needed. However, A would need some way to 'know' who on B wanted access.

The specifics of how A would 'know' who was using B will be completely different on a domain than in a workgroup setup so we gotta know which you are dealing with to give advice that is reasonable.

Newt,
  6. 2005/02/18
    barrycohen

>Web server, the machine is a web server. I want to give User B full rights on a particular folder, User B will access via a username and password(I'm stuck here as I only user B to access the folder but will not be able to login into windows with the username and password.) User b will be using linux SMB to access. I don't know how SMB works.

>- If you have a folder on machine A and a user on machine B who needs to work with those files, you would set the folder on A to be shared and then the user on B could simply connect and work with the files as long as A was up and running. No logon to A would be needed. However, A would need some way to 'know' who on B wanted access.

I think it's something like this. But where should I create the username and password. Because if I do it at Computer Management, Local User and groups, then User B is able to login to the windows, but I only want to set up a shared folder for user B to access only.

Thanks

7. 2005/02/18
    JoeHobart

JoeHobart Inactive Alumni

Heres a series of MMCs that you need to use

in computer management mmc:
    Setup user account
    Setup Group named "websharesusers "
    add useraccount to that group

In Local Security Policy:
    Add WebShareUsers group to Deny logon locally and Deny logon through Terminal Server

in my screen shots, i have a dummy user account named 'loser'.

8. 2005/02/18
    barrycohen

I have followed the instructions and done that and given rights for that shared folder. How do I check if the particular user will only access to that folder and not other files in the pc?

Thanks

9. 2005/02/18
    JoeHobart

JoeHobart Inactive Alumni

from another machine, try exploring your shared directories using his credentials (note you can override who you connect as with net use k: \\server\share /u:SERVERNAME\Luser)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.