1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

What's your experience with your Firewall?

Discussion in 'Security and Privacy' started by Gladd8tor, 2005/02/12.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2005/02/12
    Gladd8tor

Gladd8tor Inactive Thread Starter

Hi "¦ I am curious as to what your experience is with your firewall has been so far ? Also how long have you been using one ?? And as to whether you are using a free version or a paid ( pro ) version type , I know that the pro version offer more security but how wise is it not to have the paid types ?? What I’m getting at is this , I have 3 computers , One that doesn’t have any firewall at all , another one with just a free version type and the other one with a paid pro version type , I haven’t had any problems as of yet with all 3 comps and its been over 3 or 4 years now , Also what I have done was use my older computer that doesn’t have a firewall and surf those nasty sites , just curious as to what might or could go wrong , BTW You know which sites I am referring to , Right ? Any ways I haven’t had any problems , though I do use a anti-virus software for all 3 , I even have with my paid version firewall comp other spyware programs running ( Spyblocker / Spywarestopper ) "¦ So with all this protection with one computer and pretty well none with the other one , I am wondering if its really wise or needed to have running a paid type version ??? And yes I know I do have a hardware firewall ( Router ) , I would really appreciate to hear your thoughts and ideas "¦. Thanks

2. 2005/02/12
    James

James Inactive

I've used firewalls continuously for three years now. And I've used free versions and paid-for versions: Zone Alarm free and Zone Alarm Pro; Sygate free; Kerrio free; Norton Internet Security paid-for; McAfee firewall/anti-virus suite paid-for; and currently Trend Micro PC-cillin Internet security paid-for. I'm also sitting behind a router which acts as a hardware firewall. The only trouble I ever had was with Zone Alarm and it was relatively easy to re-configure it to correct the connection problem.

I would hesitate to advise you but I will say that I love Trend Micro's Security suite (had it for six months now) and will likely renew it when it comes up for renewal.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2005/02/13
    Welshjim

Welshjim Inactive

Even with a hardware firewall, many advise having a software one, too. Does need to be paid type? Definitely not. I think you will find that the firewall part of free ZA and Sygate is the same in free and paid versions. You just get other programs, like antivirus and popup blockers, etc. in the paid version.

5. 2005/02/15
    Gladd8tor

Gladd8tor Inactive Thread Starter

James and Welshjim I thank the both of you for your time and opinion , I really appreciated , THANK YOU !!! Though I am a bit surprise that I didn't get many response , For a forum site that pride itself as being one of the better ones out there , This forum site came last in my poll opinion , I have posted this question in a few forums and I have to say of all of them this one here was the worse response that I recieved , I am refering to how many could of responsed to my question but choose not to , Not to you James or Welshjim you guys have heart , Again I am not here either to say or comment anything bad against this site , but come on guys I could of gotten a little more support , Was I asking to much from use's ? Thanks

6. 2005/02/16
    Bmoore1129

Bmoore1129 Geek Member

Gladd8tor

James and Welshjim covered the subject quite well. If folks have nothing to add, they tend to let it go.

7. 2005/02/19
    sparrow

sparrow Inactive

Second!

8. 2005/02/25
    RayH

RayH Inactive

Put it this way, I'm a person who should have a computer loaded with viruses, etc. I use Zone Alarm and have no problems what so ever. I back it with an ocassional scan with Panda and House Calls.

RayH,
  9. 2005/02/25
    BillyBob Lifetime Subscription

BillyBob Inactive

I am curious.

What has that got to do with Firewall ?

Once you open the door by recieving E-Mail and/or going to a Web site ( Viruses can be packed in both ) the Firewall is by-passed and out of the picture.

The only real 98% safe ( regardless of the OS ) Firewall/Virus protection is to NEVER put your machine on-line.

BillyBob

10. 2005/02/25
    RayH

RayH Inactive

I really don't know the ins and outs of all this security stuff. But I use all the freebies: ZA, AVG, Spybot, and Spyware Blaster. I also do a lot of backup checking with RAV and Panda.

My computer is safe. But also, I don't have anything in my computer that will do any harm if the info is stolen!

RayH,
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.