1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

URL Shortcuts on desktop don't work.

Discussion in 'Internet Explorer & Microsoft Edge' started by OLDSALTY, 2005/01/13.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2005/01/13
    OLDSALTY Lifetime Subscription

OLDSALTY Inactive Thread Starter

I have several URL shortcuts on my desk top. One is to this BBS. I used Mozilla for a couple of weeks for my browsing. I have un-installed it and now my shortcuts that used to work with IE do not work. I also have a problem with shortcuts in OE. They do not work either. I have deleted the shortcuts and created them new from IE and they still do not work.

2. 2005/01/13
    Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2005/01/13

Thanks, ran them all and they didn't work. Re-booted ant they still don't work.

5. 2005/01/13
    surferdude2

surferdude2 Inactive

Try resetting your IE defaults that no doubt were changed by Mozilla:

On the Tools menu, click Internet Options.
    Click the Programs tab.
    Click the Reset Web Settings button.

Last edited: 2005/01/13
  6. 2005/01/13
    Zander

Zander Geek Member Alumni

If the dudes suggestion doesn't do it, in IE, click tools>internet options>programs and put a check mark in the box nest to the line that says Internet Explorer should check to see if it is the default browser. Then close and reopen IE. You should get prompted to set it as the default. Choose yes and then give your links and shortcuts a try.

jimvt likes this.
  7. 2005/01/14
    Abraxas

Abraxas Inactive

8. 2005/01/16
    Larry R

Larry R Inactive

Go to IE Tools>Internet Options>Programs tab and click on the Reset Web Settings to fix the problem. Been there, done that.

EDIT: Oops. Someone already said this. :eek:

9. 2005/01/16

Thanks again all but nothing worked yet. This was grayed out and I could not get to it.

10. 2005/01/16
    Welshjim

Welshjim Inactive

OLDSALTY--One problem leads to another. Here are some ideas to solve the Internet Options problem.
    http://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php/797/
    http://www.dougknox.com/security/scripts_desc/internetoptions.htm
    Maybe they will help you use some of the earlier suggestions.
    P.S. I seem to remember that some virus caused problems with Internet Options. Will try to keep thinking.
    P.P.S. Going back to the original problem, how are you creating the new shortcuts? (File|Send|Shortcut to Desktop??) Would you settle for a workaround by creating a Favorite?

11. 2005/01/16

Well that didn't work. I tried 'http://www.dougknox.com/security/scripts_desc/internetoptions.htm" now I can't get into internet options from IE. Yes I ran it a second time and still can't get into internet options from IE. Yes I rebooted each time.
    Yes I use send to to put then on the desktop.
    Yes I would use a workaround.
    How do I get my access to options back in IE?

12. 2005/01/17
    Zander

In Regedit, have a look at each of the following 3 registry keys. Look in the right pane for an entry named NoBrowserOptions. In each one if the data value is set to 1, change it to 0 (that's a zero).

Code:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Restrictions
    Code:
    HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Restrictions
    Code:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Restrictions
    That should undo what the script did. It's odd though that running the script didn't undo it. I gave it a try and it worked fine. If nothing else, use system restore. That should get you back to where you were.

13. 2005/01/17
    Zander

I guess I spoke a bit to soon. Somethings evidently not quite right with the script. After I ran it the second time I tried accessing internet options by right clicking on the Internet Explorer icon on the desktop. It worked just as it should but after I made my previous post here I tried it in IE and was denied access. It's kind of odd that it would let me in one place and not the other. Anyway, I fixed it by deleting the keys that I mentioned above. Of the three, 2 were set to 0 but one remained set to 1. You can delete the policies key as long as there's no other values in the key. Otherwise, either do as I stated previously or just delete the value. It's up to you.

14. 2005/01/17

Thanks Zander, Internet Options are working again. Now back to the first problem. The Desktop URL's or shortcuts and those in OE still do not work. For some reason I think it relates to the install and removal of Mozilla. I think I will reinstall it and see what happens.

15. 2005/01/17
    Zander

Open any folder or windows explorer and click tools>folder options>file types. Find internet shortcut in the list, click on it once to highlight it and then click the advanced button. In the list of actions, double click on open. Where it says application to perform action put the following if it's not already this way:

rundll32.exe shdocvw.dll,OpenURL %l

Put a checkmark in the box next to use DDE and under this where it says application, type in iexplore. Where it says topic, type system. Click ok until you're back at the file types list.

Now find URL:Hypertext Transfer Protocol in the list and do the same as before. For this one, where it says application used put in this:

"C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" -nohome %1

Again check the use DDE box and once again enter iexplore and system in the other two boxes. If you're windows is installed on a drive other than c: you "ll have to change the path to IE accordingly. When you're done try your shortcuts and email links to see if they work. You may have to log off and then back on for this to take effect. I'm not really sure about that.

16. 2005/01/17

Bingo! That did the trick. Back to normal again. Thanks so much Zander and the rest of you nerds and nerdettes.

17. 2005/01/17
    Zander

Glad to hear it. I should have posted it earlier but the methods mentioned earlier usually will take care of this type of problem and they're easier to both explain and do. We humans tend to take the easy way when we can. :)

18. 2005/01/17
    Welshjim

Welshjim Inactive

19. 2005/01/17
    Zander

LOL Jim! No, I'm not laughing at you. Just myself. I should have noticed that myself. I thought it odd that there'd be an error in the script. As it turned out, I was the only error involved. :) I would have paid closer attention if I had found the link elsewhere but.... Gee, it's getting so you can't even trust your friends anymore. Just kidding. :) Oh well, no harm was done. It was no big deal. Just had to take a look at the script to see what it did in order to know what to undo.

20. 2005/01/17

No it was my fault. I should have told you up front. Thanks for your help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.