1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

ProcessGuard

Discussion in 'Security and Privacy' started by Rockit, 2005/01/11.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2005/01/11
    Rockit

Rockit Inactive Thread Starter

Hey,
    I'm thinking about installing this software and am looking for any feedback on the app and if it's worth it?

Since I got my computer cleaned up I'm very hesitant to install anything and would like to know if anyone has had any experiance with this security software.

Thanks Allot
    Rockit

2. 2005/01/11
    charlesvar

charlesvar Inactive Alumni

Hey Rockit,

I've tried it and had no problems with it, but I opted for SSM - System Safety Monitor, also a app "firewall" and free up to march.

Keep in mind, these kind of apps are complicated with learning curves similiar to rule based firewalls. So expect to spend time devoted to it. The payoff is a system that will be a LOT safer.

Regards - Charles

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2005/01/11
    Rockit

Rockit Inactive Thread Starter

Charles,
    What was the reason you decided on SSM? It looks like it will take a while to learn all the functions of either app. Thats why I'm going to pick your brain if you don't mind.

Thanks Allot
    Rockit

5. 2005/01/11
    charlesvar

charlesvar Inactive Alumni

Just like SSM better, and the author is easy to "talk" to: http://mc.webm.ru/bb/forum.php In the last two most recent versions, SSM has become a XP Service, just like Process Guard, making it as hard for a piece of malware to get at it.

Process Guard has a forum here: http://www.wilderssecurity.com/index.php

No, I don't mind giving advice about this at all, I'd like to see more people use apps like this. Apps like this aside form protecting the system, also by it's use, almost forces the user to really find out what's running on the system. For instance, I didn't know that XP auto defrags until SSM asked whether I wanted to allow it. And when I installed SP2, man did I get a cascade of permission/denial requests for things like Notepad, Wordpad, etc, because they were new versions.

Regards - Charles

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.