1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Outdoor wireless antenna setup

Discussion in 'Networking (Hardware & Software)' started by gghartman, 2005/01/09.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2005/01/09
    gghartman

gghartman Inactive Thread Starter

have a client that i setup a year or so ago with a wireless dlink 614 router/access point in there office building. there house is about 400+ feet from the building and they want their sons machine up in the house to have access to the dsl.

have done quite a few indoor wireless with no problem but am a novice with a wireless antenna and how it connects, works, etc.

if someone has recommendations on what antenna to use for the dlink and how to proceed i would be appreciative.

greg

2. 2005/01/11
    Rockster2U

Rockster2U Geek Member

Have heard that 50+ miles is achievable, so your task doesn't sound too daunting. Best bet I know of for the money can be found here. Tried one with my laptop this summer and an Orinoco card, and while I don't know the exact range, I'd guess it was a couple of miles easy - couldn't exactly ask the party with the unsecured wireless network.

;)

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2005/01/11
    gghartman

Rockster2U

sure looks like a nice and simple device but you gotta explain to me how it works and how it locks up to the dlink DI614+ wireless router that i would be working with. looks like the DI614 is mentioned so most likely the 614+ would also work. how does this hock up to the wireless router and do you just point it to the remote computer ???

i know indoor wireless but never had a call to do something like this so am a beginner here.

5. 2005/01/12
    Rockster2U

Rockster2U Geek Member

If I were doing this, I'd actually buy two things. Yes, a cantenna but DLink also makes a wireless repeater or range extender. You can pick up a factory refurbished 802.11b unit for under $30 or a 802.11g for about $70. This would be hard wired to the router or switch and you can place it near a perimeter wall at Pop's place and use the Cantenna in place of its existing antenna. Simply point the cantenna towards Junior's Pad. Second option which might keep Pop's place looking a bit neater is to still use the repeater but put the Cantenna up in Junior's place connected to a wireless card in his machine and point it at Pop's place and the repeater. Either way, the cantenna is going to replace an existing omni directional antenna. If Pop's got a lot of other wireless stuff connecting to that DLink Router, a repeater is almost a necessity so you don't mess anything else up just to satisfy Junior. With the repeater, you just clone the address of your access point. Its also recommended to set up a static IP but since you're all DLink at Pop's, you could probably just use the router based DHCP. Hope this helps.

;)

6. 2005/01/12
    gghartman

Rockster2U

actually 3 machines are connected to the wireless router but they are using the ethernet connections.

I looked at the range extender from dlink and it looks like it wont work with the di-614+ wireless router. Only range extender I found was this link - http://dlink.com/products/?sec=3&pid=267

am wondering if the expense is worth it in this case. centurytel which is the isp is now offering 384 dsl speed for i believe 29.00 per month which aint to bad.

setting up this type of wireless per your information doesnt seem that overwhelming and thanks you've been a great help.

7. 2005/01/12
    Rockster2U

Rockster2U Geek Member

8. 2005/01/12
    gghartman

that one should work. thanks.

Greg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.