1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Firefox extensions, are they safe ?

Discussion in 'Firefox, Thunderbird & SeaMonkey' started by Vanilla Ice, 2005/01/07.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2005/01/07
    Vanilla Ice

Vanilla Ice Inactive Thread Starter

I am going to install the latest version of Firefox and try it out. I know there are lottsa extensions that are available for the broswer so would like to know if they are safe to use and the most reliable site to download them from? Also, would like to know if Firefox can use or will use Netscapes current Profile. Might also try Thunderbird for mail. Does it use extensions, as well, and if so which ones should I install for it to work good.
    TIA.
    Vanilla

2. 2005/01/07
    Ramona

Ramona Geek Member Alumni

Vanilla,

I would say that the sites are as safe as any. One cannot be 100% certain of anything on the Internet.

You really don't need any extensions for Firefox or Thunderbird. They both run quite well on their own. I only use SpellBound for Firefox, which allows you to spellcheck BBS posts, etc. I also use ChatZilla..

You will hear from other users on extensions, but in many cases, there are ways to accomplish what the extensions perform, without having to install anything extra.

Before installing Firefox and Thunderbird, read through these FAQs:
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/index.phtml?title=Firefox_:_FAQs
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/index.phtml?title=Thunderbird_:_FAQs

Also see this thread: http://www.windowsbbs.com/showpost.php?p=211013&postcount=3

I have listed several links there for FF and TB.

They're both awesome applications!

Ramona

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2005/01/08
    Westside

Westside Inactive Alumni

Since I don't proof read my messages, any spellchecker is in the way. I have tried recently the Attachment Tool in Thunderbird, and I still don't have the hang of it. As for Firefox, I am using extentions which are of special interest to me, but as Ramona says nothing is vital.

5. 2005/01/08
    Bmoore1129

Bmoore1129 Geek Member

Yes, I have seen some of your posts. Maybe you should reconsider? :D

6. 2005/01/08
    JSS3rd Lifetime Subscription

JSS3rd Geek Member

I've thought the same thing for some time, but you're a braver man than I, Bill! :D :D

7. 2005/01/08
    psaulm119 Lifetime Subscription

psaulm119 Geek Member

Since you asked, Vanilla, here are mine:

IEView. This one allows you to open up the current page or link target in Internet Explorer. So often, you still come across sites that just don't work/look good in Mozilla. This makes it easy to remedy--before, I'd have to click on the IE icon, then copy the current page, paste it into the IE URL bar, and click "go" or whatever. This takes care of all that in one fell swoop.

Googlebar. It actually is more convenient (for me) than the original Google toolbar built for IE. This is probably my favorite one.

Mozilla Archive Format. This allows me to save web pages in .mht files, instead of .htm(l) files. It collects everything in one file, rather than having one file for the page, and another for the accompanying graphics. I find it saves clutter on my already-crowded directories, and it makes it much less likely that I'll accidentally delete something. Although IE saves as an .mht file automatically, Mozilla/Firefox won't do this without the extension, and even with it, you still need IE to open up these files.

But as Ramona said, none of these extensions are needed.

I run spyware monthly and I have never noticed anything that can be traced to picking up an extension (or to the site it came from), nor have I read about this in forums.mozillazine.org .

The one that probably gets most raved about is Tabbed Browser Extensions. I've never felt the need for it, but you might look that up and see what others are saying about it. Another popular one is AdBlock. I think there are two apps (or one extension and one Firefox tweak) that can drastically reduce ad content. Another one I've read about works much the same, but for those *&^$# flash scenes that chew up so much bandwidth on some pages. If I didn't have broadband, I'd definitely be running that one :mad:

Best wishes and enjoy your surfing. Oh one last thing-- the tweaks here

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1748707,00.asp

(even on broadband) noticeably improved the speed of page loads, though others in a forum didn't seem to see much improvement.

EDIT: Just re-read the original post and realized that Vanila didn't actually ask about which firefox extensions to use. Yeah it never hurts to read that danged original post does it? :D

Last edited: 2005/01/08
  8. 2005/01/08
    Vanilla Ice

Vanilla Ice Inactive Thread Starter

Thanks to everyone,for sharing your help on this. Well, I (tink) I may need a (speeel)checker so will use that one for sure. :)The help and the links will come in handy and I will read up on Firefox and Thunderbird, before installing them. I've heard good things about both of them so really do want to try them out soon.

*lol* psaulm119, Maybe I didn't ask for all the info you gave but I sure was glad you posted it. One's personal experience with Firefox and those particular extensions you talked about will be of great help to me. Thanks for all the info you so kindly shared

An upcoming happy week to all.
    Vanilla Ice

9. 2005/01/09
    Westside

Westside Inactive Alumni

Bill,
    most of my errors are typos. In other newsgroups I can edit, but not at this one. However, a spellchecker would not help, if I did not how to spell in first place. But, I will take a look at the Firefox spellchecker. I will use it if it is different from the old Netscape spellchecker.

10. 2005/01/09
    Ramona

Ramona Geek Member Alumni

Westside,

You can edit your posts here. Do you see the "Edit" button at the lower right side of the window?

Do you think Bill needs a demerit for poking fun at your spelling? ;)

Ramona

11. 2005/01/10
    Bmoore1129

Bmoore1129 Geek Member

I'll have to chalk my transgressions up to post traumatic stress syndrome or, as we say in East Texas, "He just kaint hep it, bless his heart ". :D

12. 2005/01/10
    JSS3rd Lifetime Subscription

JSS3rd Geek Member

It ain't so much his spellin as tis his writin. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.