1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

CPU Clock Speed

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by rewalker81, 2005/01/07.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2005/01/07
    rewalker81

rewalker81 Inactive Thread Starter

I recently built myself a new PC. I used the NFORCE 2 SPP M7NCD PRO-BIOSTAR m/b and got the AMD|3000/400 FSB ATHLON XP BARTON processor to go along with it. I noticed that when I go under properties in "my computer" it says that it is an XP 3000, but is only showing up at 2.09 GHz. I realize that the clock speed is not going to be3 GHz, but I would think it would be higher than 2.09. I have seen 2400 and 2500 that run close or even faster than that. Does anyone know a website where I can check this out, or give me the adjustments I should make in the bios to get it running faster?

Thanks,

Reese

2. 2005/01/07
    Abraxas

Abraxas Inactive

The rated speed of the Athlon XP 3000+ is 2.16 GHz, so your reading is well within 2 standard deviations of the norm.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2005/01/07
    Scott Smith

Scott Smith Inactive Alumni

Dont ya just love those numbers games? :D

5. 2005/01/07
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

If you would like to see 'live' coverage of your CPU speed - and lots more, download and run Everest

Look under Computer > Overclock

6. 2005/01/07
    Rockster2U

Rockster2U Geek Member

Your 3000+ is running at a multiplier of 10 and its actually 10x200. Although the bus speed is technically labeled as 400mhz, that is actually (2x200). A 3200+ runs at 11x200 or 2200MHZ. If you wanted to increase your cpu speed, you would have to increase the multiplier but there are few other things that must go along with this seemingly simple adjustment and thats where the fun (agony) begins. I don't know your motherboard so I can't make specific recommendations. Generally speaking, you will need better than average memory and you more than likely will need to increase the core voltage being supplied to your processor.

Understanding that this is a simple mathematical equation, one can also achieve the same result by increasing the other variable (bus speed) but here it can be a bit trickier because when you increase your system bus, most motherboards are going to show an increase in PCI bus speed and AGP bus speed and you may encounter a whole different set of issues. Again, better MoBo's are going to permit one to lock the PCI and AGP bus speeds but I don't know squat about your board.

My suggestion would be to do some reading on a Mobo forum and find out what if any issues exist for your specific Mobo. Not all CPU's are created equally either. With AMD, the ability to OC varies significantly between different steppings and it will be important to know what your stepping is if you want to push the envelope. If your CPU was manufactured before week 39 in 2003, its an unlocked CPU, but if it was produced after that, your results may vary widely dependent upon the MoBo itself. The NForce chipset is probabaly the best for overclocking so you have a big plus going for you there. What you need to be cautious of if you start playing around with your CPU settings is heat. Your CPU cooler needs to be top of the line and you need good airflow throughout your case.

In all likelihood, your not going to be able to detect much of a difference between running at your current speed and an overclocked speed so conventional wisdom would say ... don't. Then again, I put conventional wisdom in the closet some time ago. The key to overclocking is in achieving not just speed, but stability and low temps combined with speed.

Good Luck ......

;)

7. 2005/01/07
    sparrow

sparrow Inactive

rewalker81,

You're at 97% of rated speed, and you wont see any difference in performance after 'overclocking'. Really not worth the hassle and potential risk (minimal if done cautiosly), IMO.

8. 2005/01/07
    Abraxas

Abraxas Inactive

Agreed. AMD's run hot already and it's not worth the risk and worry to overclock. It's called a 3000+ because according to some measures of speed, it has performed as well as a Pentium running at 3 GHz. I'd be satisfied with that and not risk having nothing at all.

Lots of factors affect the actual performance of a machine, and MHz is not even a very good measure of processing speed. There have been attempts to educate the public on computer speeds and use more accurate measures of speed, like GigaFLOPS (FLOPS=Floating-Point Operations per Second), but the public seems obsessed with MHz as a measure of speed.

So don't pay too much attention to the actual numbers. If your machine performs well and you don't do many things that overtax what you have, you are in a good place already.

Last edited: 2005/01/07
  9. 2005/01/08
    rewalker81

rewalker81 Inactive Thread Starter

I appreciate all the replies. I guess i just wont worry about it for now. I will have to get a P4 or one of the new 64s when they get a little cheaper in order to overclock it.

Thanks,

Reese

10. 2005/01/09
    silverwork

silverwork Inactive

I have always used AMD CPUs in the past, but decided to switch to Intel last PC build.

One thing I noticed was they are so easy to overclock with no fuss. I have an ASUS motherboard which helps matters and can run my 3Ghz at 3.6 extremely easily and require no extra cooling (I use software to minitor temp).

11. 2005/01/17
    Mr. Fix It

Mr. Fix It Inactive

1+1=3

...it's an overclocked 2.2 processor working no faster than a 2.5 Pentium-4. Personally, I find it hard not to use Intel's processors. They are extremely reliable especially if they are matched to an Intel motherboard --- my favorite combination.

That is not to say, AMD is no good, because that isn't true. I just happen to prefer Intel --- it's just me --- AMD fans would call me a fool with my money --- it's OK, my feelings are not hurt.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------My favorite rig:
    · P-4 1.9mhz
    · 1.5g SDRAMM
    · 3-7200rpm MAXTOR hds
    · 450w power supply
    · 19 in. SONY TFT display

Last edited: 2005/01/17
  12. 2005/01/22
    Eck

Eck Inactive

Yeah, but since he's got a 3000+, he's at a Pentium 4 running 3 GHz. Gotta love that Quanti-speed!

So, rewalker81, that's real fast. I just built my new system as well. I'm looking for stability and speed. Why induce problems for a few more frames/second? If you need them, buy hardware that'll give it to you. Better game performance at these high rated processors comes more from video/soundcard driver optimizations than overclocking. Look to your video/soundcard manufacturers or driver modders for better game performance these days.

Eck,
  13. 2005/01/22
    Rockster2U

Rockster2U Geek Member

The authorities would call this mis-speak, but everyone is entitled to an opinion.

:cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.