1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Lost my wireless encryption key

Discussion in 'Networking (Hardware & Software)' started by skaler2k, 2004/12/26.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2004/12/26
    skaler2k

skaler2k Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Had to reinstall the wireless network after installing service pack 2. I did it via the installation wizard. In the process, I let the wizard give me a 26(?) character encryption code. (When I first had the network installed, the guys who had to lay a dedicated landline for the DSL connection were kind enough to set the connection up for me. I wrote that key down, but, since the last reinstallation, it no longer works.) The installation wizard then recommended that I print out the particulars of this network. This I did. My wife, the white tornado, then promptly tossed the paper out. I wanted to put my daughter's laptop onto my network-temporarily. She's home for the holidays. I wonder if the key is encoded or resides in the registry. Is there perhaps a small program that will find it for me?
    Thanks. Vic

2. 2004/12/26
    BenMcDonald[MS]

BenMcDonald[MS] Inactive

The key you refer to is usually called the WEP key. Depending on your exact configuration it should be pretty easy to locate this from several places.

Its configured on your wireless router, so you can explore the management area of that to look for it.

You can usually just dig it out of the network card settings in control panel->network connection then right click on your wireless card and choose properties. One of the dialogs there should show you your WEP key. This is highly dependant on your drivers as to what this looks like. I've included a couple screenshots to guide you.

Post back if you can't find it there.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2004/12/26
    FireDancer Lifetime Subscription

FireDancer Inactive

Hi

I hope I am not speaking out of turn here as i do not want to cause any confusion but I ran into this recently with setting up my secure internet connection. I set up my router with WEP/Mac Addressing and did it all in the admin settings of the router. If you generated a pass phrase it would generate 4 seperate keys that you could choose from by tick marking the 1 thru 4 and then useing the pass key for that number on all the pc's allowed to connect thru the gateway. These pass keys will not change unless you regenerate a new pass phrase and should still be there. I belive WEP runs on 64 and 128 bit encryption if I remember right. This of course was for a wireless set on a linksys router up and might be differant for your situation/equipment...but it was a thought anyways. If my post does not pertain please disregard.

Good luck to you :)

Last edited: 2004/12/26
  5. 2004/12/31
    skaler2k

Thanks to BenMcDonald and Firedancer for their kind replies. I'm afraid that on my main computer(WinXP) the only connection under control panel>network connection is one called LAN or High Speed Internet that shows Local Area Connection, connected/firewalled, Intel(R) PRO/100 M Network.... On my wife's laptop, there are several connections, including a wireless one. Under its properties, it shows MSHOME as the only and preferred Network. Clicking its properties shows Network Authentication as OPEN, Data Encryption as WEP, but the network key is just a series of dots.
    Under that, the key index is set to 1, and the box next to "The key is provided for me automatically" is unchecked. As I mentioned, the network was set up for me by the guys who actually connected a dedicated line for the DSL connection. The line goes from the curb to a Microsoft Broadband Networking Wireless-G Kit (MN-820) From the back of the router, it goes into a lan connector on the back of a dell Dimension 8250. My wife's laptop is a Toshiba Satellite Pro with a built in wireless pci card. Both computers are XP with SP2 installed. I have a second laptop which I would like to connect to this network, and put to use the Wireless Network Adapter (MN-720) that I purchased with this kit. My question is, I guess, Should I establish a new network, since I can't determine the WEP encryption key of the existing one?
    If so, which wizard should I use: The new connection Wizard from within the NETWORK Connections icon, or the Network Setup Wizard icon, or he Wireless Network Setup Wizard? In any case, do I set up the new network on the Dell desktop and then install the PCMCIA card into the new laptop?
    I'm afraid this'll probably require some handholding, Ben, as I don't know what the consequence of setting up a new connection will be on the Toshiba laptop. If I establish the new network, will the old one still transmit to the wireless built-in in the Toshiba, and the new one then transmits to the Notebook Adapter card in the second laptop?
    Thanks, in advance.
    Vic
    I doubt that this matters much, but the kit is model MN-820. The actual Base Station is Model MN-700, and the Notebook Adapter is MN-720.

6. 2004/12/31
    maggie

maggie Inactive

Go to the computer that is directly wired to the router. If you don't know the IP for the router just bring up a command window- Type ipconfig /all the default gateway is the router ip. Usually the login and password are both admin.Your documintation should provide this information

Go into wireless section(wireless security) and you should see the encryped number. Then copy it to something, notepad is good enough, and enter it into the wireless card choosing WEP. You should be in and you might have to choose connect.
    If it is a WEP key make it "opened" at the top of the WEP page where you enter the key.

7. 2004/12/31
    BenMcDonald[MS]

BenMcDonald[MS] Inactive

i'm hearing the hesitantcy in your post. If i were in your shoes, i would flatten all this and start over setting everything up. I am quite comfortable with my ability to do so, however :D I dont use any of the wizards, as I prefer to make the changes by hand. I think all you need to do is get that WEP key and get it key'd in correctly.

You need to determine if you are WPA or WEP

From the manual.
    http://download.microsoft.com/downl...9-4641-AA6F-1548391E0967/MN700_usersguide.pdf
    Code:
    The base station uses Wired Equivalent Privacy (WEP) or Wi-Fi Protected Accessâ„¢
    (WPA) to help prevent unauthorized users from joining your network or accessing data
    that is being transmitted over the network. You cannot enable both types of wireless
    security; you must choose to enable either WEP or WPA.
    To use WPA, all the computers on your network must be running Windows XP with
    Service Pack 1 and the WPA Support Patch installed. Computers that do not meet
    these system requirements will not be able to connect to your network. For more
    information about enabling WPA on your base station, see Broadband Network Utility Help.
    The following procedure describes how to enable 128-bit WEP encryption. Any
    computer that meets the system requirements for Microsoft Broadband Networking
    products can use WEP.
    1. From the Base Station Management Tool Security menu, click Wireless Security.
    2. In the Encryption strength drop-down list, select 128-bit WEP (strong).
    3. Type a WEP key in the WEP Key box. For 128-bit encryption, the WEP key must be
    26 characters in length. WEP keys can contain numbers and the letters A through F.
    4. To enable your wireless security settings, click Apply.
    Code:
    Wireless Security Settings
    Use this method to locate your Wired Equivalent Privacy (WEP) key or Wi-Fi
    Protected Accessâ„¢ (WPA) passphrase.
    O If you have a Microsoft wireless base station, you can use the Base Station
    Management Tool. On the Security menu, click Wireless Security.

With that said, it shouldn't be too painful to locate these keys from your basestation to configure the new card.

8. 2005/01/01
    skaler2k

I think my biggest problem is that my network was set up "on the fly "so to speak. I purchased the wireless kit about a week in advance of making the switch from dial up to DSL.I read just enough of the 125 page manual to read the warnings that say don't do anything without first installing the software that is on the CD that comes with the kit. When I watched the installers from BellSouth set up my system, they didn't use the CD at all.
    All of your instructions to me, Ben, start with going to the broadband or base station management tool. I can only assume that this management tool is something that gets installed by the software on the CD that came with my router/notebook adapter kit. Since it was never installed on any of my computer, I wonder, can I install it after the fact? And then make corrections later? Or, is it, as you suggest, better to just delete the original installation and make a new one? The last thing I want to do is delete or lose a working connection to the internet. So, can I establish a new one and then delete the old one, once I'm secure in knowing that the new one is good? Or, do I first have to delete or remove the old one before I can install a new one?
    Thank you. Happy 2005.
    Vic
    I may be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure that my encryption is WEP, as I did use a 26 character key(128bit?), even though I "qualify" for a WAP, as all my computers are XP with SP2.

Last edited: 2005/01/01
  9. 2005/01/01
    Scott Smith

Scott Smith Inactive Alumni

Man dont make this harder than it is.

Open IE
    Type http://192.168.2.1

The default password unless your boys changed it is admin

go to the wireless tab, and go to the screen atached below.

Heck where are you in Atlanta?
    I'll come fix it for ya.
    You dont need no stinkin software, no wizzards no nothing.
    Although Ben will probably get his feathers ruffled MS routers are the absolute worst for being user friendly.

10. 2005/01/01
    BillyBob Lifetime Subscription

BillyBob Inactive

I have to sort of agree with ssmith10pn

I have a Linksys BEFSR41 Router connected to an RCA Cable Modem.

This XP pro machine
    2 98SE machines
    A HPDeskjet 5550 Printer

All plugged into the a Linksys 4 Port switch . Should have been an 8 port but that is OL' BillyBobs fault.

Then the switch is plugged into the Router.

All I have ever done ( with ANY MACHINE ) is to installe the NIC. Make sure it was in the MsHome WorkGroup. Plug the darn thing into the Switch and go. I have even unplugged an existing one to plug in the new one and no problems

The only Thing I have needed to be careful of is to make sure all machines were in the same workgroup so they could see and work properly between each other.

BillyBob

11. 2005/01/01

BillyBob Inactive

I forgot to add this.

I have heard that sometimes various things in the home can mess up wireless networking. ( freguencey interference )

If this is actually true or not I do not know. But it would seem to be possible.

BillyBob

12. 2005/01/05
    skaler2k

Lost my encryption key

Hi,
    Just wanted to say thanks to all of you kind folks for your inputs. I did make it harder than it needed to be. So much so that I destroyed my connection to bellsouth on my primary computer. The good news is that once that connection was re-established, I was free to cleanly iinstall the software for the base station, get a new record of the encryption key, and put 3 laptops online. Thanks again folks.
    Kindest regards,
    Vic

13. 2005/01/05
    maggie

maggie Inactive

Good for you!! :)

14. 2005/01/06

BillyBob Inactive

Thanks for the good news.

BillyBob

Thread Status: