1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

XP Restarts when told to shut-down

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Bravehart, 2004/11/23.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2004/11/23
    Bravehart

Bravehart Inactive Thread Starter

I know I have seen this issue before but I can't find the thread. I have a dell computer that refuses to shutdown. If I start-shutdown, the computer shuts off then restarts again. If I hold the power button for approx 5 secs it will then shutdown. Is there an auto restart option somewhere that may be checked?

Thanks a bunch!

2. 2004/11/24
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2004/11/24
    Dez Bradley

Dez Bradley Inactive

Can also be the power management of your PC. I wont explain the nitty gritties but what you need to try is this.

Go to Control Panel-Power Options

Go to a tab called APM. Put a tick in the only box onthe page to enable APM support.

Note: Not all people will have this tab called APM, it only appears if your BIOS uses the older APM power management. If you dont have this tab, this fix isnt going to help you. If you do, 99% chance it will fix it for you.

5. 2004/11/25
    Bravehart

Neither seems to help. I do not have an APM tab and the link sent me to problems with restart and shutdown problems associated with Norton 2003. The computer will re-start when told to but it also restarts when told to shutdown. I do have Norton Antivirus 2004 and Windows XP Home.

Any other suggestions? This is just really something buggy on my wifes computer. We can always shut it down by press-n-hold the power button but then it always does a disk check on startup.

Thanks again and Happy Thanksgiving!

6. 2004/11/25
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

7. 2004/11/25
    Bravehart

Pete C

This article says this problem can be resolved by installing the lastest SP. I have SP2 installed and if I remember correctly, this problem was occuring even before installing SP2. This artcle also mentions disabling "fast user switching ", but doesnt tell me how. This sounds like it may be the problem. I assume SP2 does this? Anyways, she does have (2) accounts that she uses.

8. 2004/11/25
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

To disable Fast User Switching .....

Control Panel > User Accounts > Change the way users log on or log off > Uncheck Use Fast User Switching.

Not sure if this is checked by default or not - I have it disabled, but am also on Pro.

9. 2004/11/25
    Bravehart

Ok unchecked fast user switching, it WAS checked. Thought for sure you had it there so tried a shutdown. Once again, it logged off, shutdown, then started right back up. Anything else you can think of.

BTW, I really appreciate your time

10. 2004/11/25
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

11. 2004/11/25
    Bravehart

Ok tried the first "here" because it seemed the most appropriate by unchecking the auto-restart of system failure. Now the computer does NOT restart but I get the following message on a blue screen.

A problem has been detected with windows and has been shutdown to prevent damage to your computer. If this is the first time you have seen this type screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps.

Check to be sure to have adequate space, if a driver is identified in the stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates.

Try changing video adapters, check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing.

If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select advance startup options, and the select safe mode.

TECHNICAL INFORMATION:

*** STOP: 0X0000007E (0XC0000005, 0XF8A5E9B0, 0XF8B299B4, OXF8B296B0)

*** KBDCLASS.SYS - ADDRESSF8A5E9B0 F8A5E9B0 BASE AT F8A5E000, DATESTAMP 41107B08

12. 2004/11/25
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

13. 2004/11/25
    Bravehart

Bingo My Man!

Got a logitech "fancy" mouse about a 3 months ago and installed software. Wife didnt like it so replaced with standard Optical mouse. Since I didn't uninstall the logitech software I guess it was causing problems.

I uninstalled all Logitech software and system shutdown like it should.

This place is amazing because of people like you Pete C. I have lurked on this site for about 1.5 years and have learned so much but this is the first time I have had an issue.

Thank You and Happy Holidays!!

14. 2004/11/25
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Glad we tracked down the source of the problem - Happy Holidays - we have to wait 'til Christmas :)

15. 2004/11/30
    investr

investr Inactive

Same Problem

Hi Guys,

I got the same rebooting problem. I have turned off error reporting and checked the event viewer. Nothing.

I click shutdown in XP and then is turns off and reboots.

I am at a loss here. This is a FRESH install of XP.

Thanks.

16. 2004/11/30
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

investr - Welcome to the Board :)

Have you turned off 'Restart on system Failure' ?

Right Click My Computer icon > Properties > Advanced > Startup and Recovery > Settings?

Turning off this option should reveal the error on a blue screen (BSOD)

Have you checked out all the links posted in this thread?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.