1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Do cold cath lights need good ventilation?

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by shadowhawk, 2004/11/18.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2004/11/18
    shadowhawk

shadowhawk Inactive Thread Starter

I know these aren't exactly hardware, but I figured Hardware was the best forum. I read on this board that cold cath tubes can burn out faster without proper ventilation. Is this true?

Also, if you find that they're starting to turn brown does that mean they're about to burn out or explode?

2. 2004/11/18
    surferdude2

surferdude2 Inactive

Yes, that would be a true statement. Heat accelerates the demise of almost all devices due to oxidization.

If you enclose a heat producing device in a non ventilated box, the heat level inside will continue to rise until the heat rejected through the walls of the box matches the heat being produced by the device. The rate of heat rejection through the walls is determined by two principal factors.

1.) The r-value of the material used to make the wall.

2.) The temperature difference between the inside and outside wall.

Cold cathode lamps are no different than most other devices in this regard. Keep things cool, they last longer. Heat accelerates physical reactions. Some things are affected to a lesser degree than others but all are affected.

A properly ventilated cold cathode lamp should deliver an average useful life span of 30,000 hours. If they turn brown or black, it's a good indication that the end is beginning. :) Contaminants are being produced inside the tube and that isn't supposed to happen at a very fast pace. It would be normal at the end of the useful life span however.

I realize this is more than you wanted to know but I don't get asked questions in this field very often so I had to jump all over it. It's one of my areas of least ignorance. :D

Last edited: 2004/11/18

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2004/11/18
    shadowhawk

Mine was like that at the beginning of October and I'd only had it since May. My case is well ventilated. Perhaps it was defective.

5. 2004/11/18
    surferdude2

surferdude2 Inactive

It was likely either defective or poor quality from the outset. Inadequate evacuation of all gasses prior to charging is the usual fault. :(

You can expect 3 ~ 5 years with a good quality unit and typical usage demand. A small amount of discoloration is normal toward the end of the life cycle.

6. 2004/11/18
    shadowhawk

OK, how do I evacuate the gases? I have my cath light come on when the computer comes on.

7. 2004/11/18
    surferdude2

surferdude2 Inactive

:) That process is done by the manufacturer. I didn't mean to imply that you had overlooked anything in your usage style. About all you can do is buy quality products and hope for the best. How to tell good quality?? Normally it costs more. Then use it within its ratings and you should get the full normal life cycle.

8. 2004/11/18
    shadowhawk

Well this was a six-inch cath light that cost about $6.00. I've never seen them cost more than about $15 unless they have fancy features like blinking in time to music, which to me seems like a waste.

Hopefully if I keep this one ventilated, it'll last longer than the old one.

9. 2004/11/18
    surferdude2

surferdude2 Inactive

That sounds like a plan! You can be the resident test case for CC lights. Report back in 30,000 hrs +- and let us know your findings. :D

Good luck.

10. 2004/11/18
    shadowhawk

Will do! :D

11. 2004/11/20
    Aku

Aku Inactive

Sort of off topic, but I always buy CC's that go with my music. It looks pretty wicked. then again, im sure not many people here have 2 15 inch subwoofers in their bedroom that can break windows...And I'm also sure not many people here rinse ch00ns all day n most of the night like I do. My neighbors must hate me. They never complain though...

Aku,
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.