1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Lost shortcut to Desktop

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by johngarnold, 2004/11/04.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2004/11/04
    johngarnold

johngarnold Inactive Thread Starter

Recently the (shortcut (icon) to the desktop (ie the shortcut on the taskbar which allows you to display the desktop quickly when one or more applications are open) has disappeared (could have been me accidentally deleting it).
    All I want to know is how to restore this shortcut.
    I have looked at my Windows XP 'complete guide' book but could not find any help.
    Can anyone help?
    Thanks
    John :eek:

2. 2004/11/04
    goddez1

goddez1 Inactive

You can create a new one.....

Open note pad and copy and paste bolded text into it:

[Shell]
    Command=2
    IconFile=explorer.exe,3
    [Taskbar]
    Command=ToggleDesktop

>save it as "Show Desktop.scf" including the quotes to keep the *.scf extension.

Save it to your desktop and rightclick hold and drag to move it in your quicklaunch toolbar.

Prior to doing this you may wish to do a file find for *.scf and see if you dragged or misplaced this bugger.

Last edited: 2004/11/04

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2004/11/04
    Royalty

Royalty Inactive

You can also use the key combination Windows key "D" to minimize all open applications so you can see your desktop. When you are done, using the same combination keys again will reopen of of the minimized application windows.

5. 2004/11/05
    johnjoslin

johnjoslin Inactive

Shortcut to Desktop

Just right click on the Task Bar and select "Desktop" under "Toolbars ".

6. 2004/11/05
    surferdude2

surferdude2 Inactive

:D Yeah, or just right click an open area on the Taskbar and choose "Show Desktop." There are lots of alternate solutions but I think the original intent was to regain the "Show Desktop" icon on the Quick Launch bar so that a single mouse click would display the Desktop at any chosen time. :cool:

For that purpose, Ann's response was correct.

7. 2004/11/06
    johnjoslin

johnjoslin Inactive

Getting the Desktop

My method is quicker and simpler and the Desktop Toolbar is tiny and sits conveniently by the System Tray, also only requiring one click to access any Desktop icon or even explore within folders. I used to use the old method, but find that this feature allows a smoother workflow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.