1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Centrino vs Pentium

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by gghartman, 2004/10/18.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2004/10/18
    gghartman

gghartman Inactive Thread Starter

Does anyone out there have any experience with the centrino chip as compared to the normal pentium ???

Is it as good as some places I read or is it hipe ???

2. 2004/10/19
    Paul

Paul Inactive

I'm not sure of the exact comparisons, but my laptop Centrino 1.6GHz is ROUGHLY comparable to a P4-M (Mobile) 2.8-3.0GHz. The Centrino has lower power consumption and heat as compared to a P4-M chip, but my experience is that there is in reality little difference between the two. The Centrino has SOME built-in wireless capabilities, but truth be known I haven't worked out what these are, as my Centrino Toshiba lappy still uses a built in wireless card similar to a P4-M wireless lappy.

I was reading the other day of a newer improved Centrino just around the corner.

Paul,

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2004/10/19
    gghartman

gghartman Inactive Thread Starter

Am surprised that its that different 1.6 up to 3.0. I think I still like the normal pentium guess cuz I know it better.

Thanks.

5. 2004/10/21
    Paul

Paul Inactive

I think the megahertz myth is slowly filtering down from AMD to Intel. About time. ;) My Centrino 1.6GHz certainly FEELS comparable to a P4-M 3.0 GHz.

Paul,
  6. 2004/10/21
    jdover Lifetime Subscription

jdover Inactive

Upgrading Centrino chip from 1.7 to 2.0

I have a Dell Inspiron 8600c with a 1.7 Centrino chip. It's just out of warranty.

There's now one with a 2.0 Centrino. Is it possible to upgrade (obviously not from Dell)?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.