1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Installing New Ver. Firefox

Discussion in 'Firefox, Thunderbird & SeaMonkey' started by hawk22, 2004/10/11.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2004/10/11
    hawk22

hawk22 Geek Member Thread Starter

Hi,
    I have been trying to find information regarding the Installation of the new version. I am still using 0.8 (Royal Oak) and would like to upgrade to 0.10.1, but I am not sure of how to go about it as I have a good number of Bookmarks listed that I can't afford to loose. I can find no options to save Bookmarks in the old version. The only thing that I did find and have done is Export to Floppy, but will the new version Import from Floppy.
    Also will I have to uninstall the old before installing the new or can you just overinstall.
    thanks
    hawk22

2. 2004/10/11
    Westside

Westside Inactive Alumni

Especially considering that 1.0 is a preview release, i.e. a sort of beta, keep 0.8. Uninstalling a Firefox does not lose the personal stuff any more than a Mozilla or Netscape. This is the most misunderstood fact about these programs, which leads people to do multiple uninstall/reinstalls. Your profile stuff is not removed. However, you will have to create a new profile (give it a different name) when you start using 1.0 pr. I do not recall if you can set it up with the settings of the old Firefox or bird.
    I have chosen to work out of the unzipped file. That way I don't have to install. Just send the shortcut of firefox.exe to the Desktop. And, just don't get the profiles mixeup. You can use two versions, as long that you don't try to install, in the same spot. And, getting a .zip file is the best way to go.
    Let me know if you have problems finding it.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2004/10/11
    Ramona

Ramona Geek Member Alumni

hawk22,

Here are the install instructions for Firefox: http://texturizer.net/firefox/download.html#install

As Westside comments, a new Profile would be in order, and I would also suggest backing up both Profiles, the existing and the new Profile on a frequent basis. Then you don't have to worry about losing Bookmarks, Passwords, etc.

Ramona

5. 2004/10/11
    ackerberg

ackerberg Inactive

I was going to upgrade both my firefox on my laptop and mozilla on my desktop. Both programs were installed from a zip file. I will delete the old Firefox and Mozilla folders before unzipping the new programs into the same, but now empty, folders that I recreate. Will the new programs find my e-mail, bookmarks, etc. or do I have to do something special for that to happen?

6. 2004/10/11
    Ramona

ackerberg,

The new Versions will find the Profiles. You can delete the folders too, and when you open WinZip select "Extract to" C:\Program Files. Firefox will create its own folder. Same with Mozilla...

I'm sure you have recent backups of both Profiles, so you don't have to worry, in the event of a power failure, etc., in the middle of the unzipping.

If you have extensions, save the extension folder, then move it into the new version, replacing the new extension folder.

Cheers!

Ramona

7. 2004/10/11
    Westside

Westside Inactive Alumni

I don't recall exactly what happened when I went to 1.0pr, but I believe that the program prompted me to create a new profile. If not, create a new profile.
    With an unzipped file, you right click on the desktop shortcut of the program, and select Properties, add a keyboard space and -p to the Target line to bring up the profile manager. In my case I would see C:\Archive\Firefox1.01rc -p
    You manage profile|create profile and, give it a different name. I called it Firefox1.0. Now, after doing this, you will go back to the shortcut, and your Target line will be C:\Archive\Firefox1.01rc -p Firefox1.0. Remember a keyboard space before Firefox1.0 or whatever name you select. You do not want to use the old profile. And there is no reason to delete what you have.
    I always unzipped all .zip files and I right click|rename the resulting folder.
    I will delete it when I am sure that you don't need it.
    With Firefox1.0pr you will not be allowed to use incompatible extention. That's why, you might as well start from scratch. So, it may be safe to use another profile, but don't count on the program. The default location seems to have changed some. In WinXP it is:C:\Documents and Settings\Fulvio Perini\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\Firefox1.0, while 0.8 was in C:\Documents and Settings\Fulvio Perini\Application Data\FirefoxProfiles\Firefox1.0
    You will need to copy the old bookmarks.html from the 0.8 to the 1.0, if you are not prompted, and you have to hunt for updated extentions.
    In the case of Mozilla, you may not have to create a new profile, if the latest version was 1.5 or later.

8. 2004/10/12
    hawk22

Thanks,
    If I would stay with 0.8 version is there a patch available for that.
    After all that is the only reason at the moment why I am looking at changing.
    If there is a way to keep 0.8 and patch it than this would be my preferred option
    thannks
    hawk22

9. 2004/10/12
    Ramona

hawk22,

No patch for Version 0.8, the patch is only for Version 0.10.

Ramona

10. 2004/10/15
    hawk22

Thanks guys,
    hawk22

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.