1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

System Restore Error

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Anne, 2004/10/05.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2004/10/05
    Anne

Anne Inactive Thread Starter

Hi All,

I have a strange error that pops up when I try to access my System Restore tab in my properties of my computer. I'm not sure if I can access it any other way. When I try to access it I get the following errors:-

"Run a DLL as an App has encountered a problem and needs to close" Then I get the option of sending the error message to Microsoft or not. I have sent the error message but haven't heard anything back from Microsoft.

Then when I close the message, I get the following message:-

"DrWatson Postmortem Debugger has encountered a problem and needs to be close ". Again some thing about sending the error message to Microsoft.

Does anyone have a clue what this is all about????

Thanks.

Anne

Anne,
  2. 2004/10/05
    surferdude2

surferdude2 Inactive

Go to C:\WINDOWS\INF\sr.inf and right click it. Select "Install." That usually fixes things with SR.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2004/10/05
    Anne

Suferdude2, thanks for your suggestion but I'm having another problem. I have found the file you mention but when I press Install I get a message that "The file "sr.sys" on Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 CD is needed.

I'm not sure what this means but when I bought the computer I was told that my Windows XP was installed in my hard drive so I would not need any CD's. What do I do now??

Thanks.

Anne

Anne,
  5. 2004/10/05
    Newt

Newt Inactive

Your original XP load files are probably on the hard drive in a folder named i386. So as long as the hard drive is working and you can boot then you probably don't need the original XP CD. If you have problems with the drive you might need it.

But if it wants the XP SP2 CD you should be able to get one. Not sure about your part of the world but in the US, there are a number of stores that have copies to give away. Office Max and Target are two that come to mind. Otherwise you can check with any store that services PCs and they will probably have them.

If you have SP2 installed (a good idea) and have the original files on your hard drive then when you get things working again you can follow the instructions Arie did for creating a slipstream CD and integrate your original XP version and SP2 and burn them to a CD so you will have one handy when you need it.

Newt,
  6. 2004/10/05
    surferdude2

surferdude2 Inactive

When you get that message, use the Browse field supplied and go to C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386 and highlight the sr.sys file. If you get another message asking for your install CD, browse to c:\i386 for the needed file.

7. 2004/10/06
    Anne

Newt / Surferdude 2,

Thanks - it worked.

I will now follow Newt suggestion and burn a CD of my Windows XP and Service Pak 2 but need to read up on it first to figure out what I do for that.

Thanks again,

Anne

Anne,
  8. 2004/10/06
    nycisco

nycisco Inactive

Yuo can also request the CD from Microsoft for free and they ship to different parts of the world:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp2/cdorder/en_us/default.mspx

9. 2004/10/06
    Anne

nycisco,

Thank you - I just ordered it.

Anne

Anne,
  10. 2004/10/06
    Newt

Newt Inactive

Anne - Here is a good how-to on the slipstream process and since our forum admin, Arie, wrote it, we've tested it enough to know it works.

Newt,
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.