1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Laptops wireless with no router?

Discussion in 'Networking (Hardware & Software)' started by stuartsjg, 2004/10/02.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2004/10/02
    stuartsjg

stuartsjg Inactive Thread Starter

I need to network a few laptops together using the inbuilt B or G wireless lans.
    How to i configure them to link up without having a router or anything like that?

All use windows XP home ang have B or G capabilities. Im after it for using netmeeting IM's as a wireless demo.

Any ideas?

Stuart.

2. 2004/10/03
    Newt

Newt Inactive

inbuilt B or G wireless lans

If this means they all have wireless network cards but you have no other equipment, I don't think there is a way to make it work unless you happen to be in a wireless hotspot where someone provides the equipment to allow the NIC to connect to their domain.

Newt,

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2004/10/04
    ReggieB

ReggieB Inactive Alumni

With 802.11B it is possible to set up a peer to peer wireless connection (that is one without an central access point) and in theory I believe it is possible to do it with 802.11G too. However, wireless access points are so cheap nowadays and make the job of connecting PCs so much easier, I'd strongly suggest investing in a small access point rather than spending a lot of time getting peer to peer working, unless you have a very good reason not to have an access point.

Last edited: 2004/10/04
  5. 2004/10/04
    Newt

Newt Inactive

Thanks for the correction ReggieB. Didn't know that about wireless and connecting a pair of machines. At this point, wireless and I are barely on speaking terms and I have huge gaps in what I 'really know' as opposed to what I think I know. :confused: :eek:

Newt,
  6. 2004/10/05
    ReggieB

ReggieB Inactive Alumni

No problem. I always appreciate it when you correct me.

Have a look at this.

Oh and I like the new picture - you look about ten years younger :D

7. 2004/10/05
    Newt

Newt Inactive

Added that site to my favorites so I can get back to it at need and thanks.

Take a look at the whole picture and you will see what un-aged me for a little while.

Newt,
  8. 2004/10/06
    ReggieB

ReggieB Inactive Alumni

A man and his fish. Can there be a finer vision to behold.

One day I may have to reach into my pocket and become a contributing member so you can see what an ugly fishless man I am.

Glad you like the link. It is in the Sticky FAQ.

Last edited: 2004/10/06
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.