1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Slow XP boot with network activity?

Discussion in 'Networking (Hardware & Software)' started by SteveS, 2004/09/18.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2004/09/18
    SteveS

SteveS Inactive Thread Starter

When my machine boots (xp sp2) it gets to the desktop loads a couple of taskbar apps then hangs, I see on my ADSL switch that there is network activity (not from any other machine) as soon as the activity stops the pc finishes start-up.
    any ideas?
    its like its pinging everything and waiting for replies before it boots completely?

(also another topic, when windows boots it checks drives? well so sticking /SOS in the boot.ini shows me. neway to stop this as it would save some time if it actually is)

Cheers

2. 2004/09/18
    Newt

Newt Inactive

All of the network setup items should be finished before you ever see the GUI. As a quick and easy try for a 'fix', set the NIC to 100mbps Full-duplex (it's probably on auto now). If that doesn't help, there are some troubleshooting things we can do but they will take more work.

How much time is it taking your PCs to boot up? Unless it is really long, disabling the normal boot-time checking is not a real great idea.

Newt,

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2004/09/19
    SteveS

Thanks,
    Its a wireless 108 connection so I don't think I have that option,
    also windows doesn't take that long to boot to GUI, but if I can speed things up without causing any problems I would. I regularly run maintenance on my machine so if there was anything wrong it would be picked up then? rather then using windows boot to check.

5. 2004/09/19
    Newt

Newt Inactive

Lots of other possibles. Take a look at a few of these articles.

http://www.ss64.com/nt/slow_browsing.html

http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm - not network specific but a good guide to services you can disable or change from automatic (at boot time) to manual (when needed)

If nothing there seems to help, then please post the contents of c:\ipconfig.txt (you will be creating it first)

click on start, click on run, key in cmd and click OK

At the command prompt, key in the following and press ENTER
    Code:
    ipconfig /all > c:\ipconfig.txt
    Note: we need to see all the details in that text file so please don't 'hide' or 'mask' any of the information.

Newt,
  6. 2004/09/20
    SteveS

I disabled quite afew services, but its still the same.

Windows IP Configuration
    Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : sjs-pc1
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : D-Link AirPlus DWL-G520 Wireless PCI Adapter(rev.B)
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0F-3D-86-B9-0B
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.4
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 212.104.130.9
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 20 September 2004 5:53:28
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 23 September 2004 5:53:28

Last edited: 2004/09/20
  7. 2004/09/20
    Newt

Newt Inactive

Thanks. That looks fine. I was sorta expecting to see some of the extra, 'junk' pseudo-devices that some systems set up. AOL for instance, loads you down.

Time for a little detective work if you want to. www.sysinternals.com and download two free utilities, Filemon and TDImon. You'll find both in the NT/2K/XP/2K3 utilities section. If you put shortcuts to both in the startup folder, they should be up and running when your system hangs and you can get an idea of exactly what is going on at the time. The info may help us track down the problem.

Also, from your event viewer (start->run->eventvwr.msc) take a look for errors or warnings that happen at about that time. Probably a good idea to clear all three of the logs before you reboot after putting the two utilities into startup.

Post back with what you find. If any events look like they might be related, open an event, click on the icon below the up/down arrows (sends a text copy to your clipboard) and paste the contents in a reply here. Do this for any that you think might be significant.

On your network, do you have any permanent mappings to shares on other PCs or printers on other PCs?

Newt,
  8. 2004/09/21
    SteveS

No mappings..
    there really isnt anything in the event viewer only a few items which i know arnt problems. only one i got was DCOMM

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: DCOM
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 10010
    Date: 21/09/2004
    Time: 18:22:29
    User: SJS-PC1\Stephen Stern
    Computer: SJS-PC1
    Description:
    The server {51FA2736-5DEE-11D4-98E8-006008BF430C} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

i tried those two programs one tdimon caused my system to dump, lol
    ntfilemon was just jumping around to see anything, and if i could its abit hard 2 see a problem from that (for me)

9. 2004/09/21
    BillyBob Lifetime Subscription

BillyBob Inactive

What I have found over the years with ANY verison of Windows.

If it boots ups and runs with NO PROBLEMS, leave it alone and pay no attention to boot up time

If you start [ I did start ) messing with things you may ( I did ) wind up with a faster boot but SLOWER operating or problems.

Another thing that I have found ( more so with XP Pro ) but also with 98SE.

I have also found ( in both OS ) that SOMETIMES something may try to get online TOO quickly. I have even had my AV auto check ( could not get online ) cause problems and hangup the bootup.

Do not be in HURRRY to do something with XP even though the disk activity light may not show anything active.

BTW. I did not pay attention to my own advice this AM and wound up REBOOTING to get things working properly.

BillyBob

10. 2004/09/21
    SteveS

haha, true, but then how do you learn, i know im not one for reading plain text, hands on is how i have learnt what i have today and im proud. yes there have been ALOT of stressful times, some i know were my own fault but some i know i fixed because i have had the issue before.
    and the end of the day if the machine goes down and OS wont boot, a re-install of windows will not change a thing, because i have my important files on a 2nd drive.

oh and i have noticed a issue in the even viewer which could be causing a problem, even tho it came up as information and not an error when it kind of was, neways will report back...

11. 2004/09/21
    SteveS

thought it worked but dosnt seam like it did....

12. 2004/09/21

BillyBob Inactive

I do have to agree that we do learn by doing.

That is how I learned more of what not to do than anything.

BIllyBob

13. 2004/09/21

BillyBob Inactive

There is one thing that I have learned and a couple of times the agravating bad language creating HARD way.

And that is.

" DO NOT mess with anything UNLESS you are sure you have the Restore Points in XP and the RB00x.cab files in 98. "

And know how to use them if needed. Knowing how to use them has saved the life of Windows nore than once.

BillyBob

14. 2004/09/21
    SteveS

if i disconnect the network from my machine it freezes until i plug it back in.
    i also noticed on my routers logging:

192.168.0.8 / sjs-pc1 239.255.255.250 1900 UDP 2148 09/21 20:07:35
    192.168.0.8 / sjs-pc1 224.0.0.22 --- IGMP 812 09/21 20:07:21

192.168.0.8 / sjs-pc1 239.255.255.250 1900 UDP 2685 09/21 20:10:44
    192.168.0.8 / sjs-pc1 224.0.0.22 --- IGMP 1044 09/21 20:10:30

They are always there. IGMP, Internet Group Management Protocol? what could be broadcasting for that?

ps other machines on the network are fine, and this machine hasnt always done it, only when windows takes over the network adaptor instead of the software that came with it, but for some reason if i use the software which came with, it dosnt connect (i use wireless). again only started happening recently. did it on a previous install also.

15. 2004/09/21
    Newt

Newt Inactive

SteveS - the additional information helps. I think.

Take a look at This thread that discusses a similar issue.

At this point I think I gotta agree with BillyBob - just ignore it. It may get worse but if so, you will probably get some additional clues. If you want to try to pin things down now, the thread above has info on setting Filemon filters that will reduce the clutter and give you (maybe) a better idea of what app is having or causing the problem.

Surprised to hear that TDImon crashed your system though.

16. 2004/09/22
    SteveS

thing it its not how it should be which is why i want to fix the issue.
    i thought it was something to do with "remote admin" but i uninstalled it and still have the problem, still i havnt ruled it out.. ne ideas? do these remot programs send out casts?

17. 2004/09/22
    Newt

Newt Inactive

Had internet problems today so just now took a peek. Will try again tomorrow when it's earlier and I have a functional brain.

18. 2004/09/24
    SteveS

cheers

19. 2004/09/27
    SteveS

Its defo my wireless card somewhere, if i disable it, boot is fine. when the dlink software controlled the settings, i didnt have a problem, but for some reason windows has to control it or it wont connect!! and i get this issue, also did the same on a previous install!

Last edited: 2004/09/27
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.