1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Netscape 7.2 Multiple Security Vulnerabilities - High Security Risk

Discussion in 'Firefox, Thunderbird & SeaMonkey' started by Ramona, 2004/09/15.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2004/09/15
    Ramona

Ramona Geek Member Alumni Thread Starter

Secunia Security Advisory SA12535 Reports the following:
    Ramona

2. 2004/09/16
    Jeane

Jeane Inactive

I think a lot of people who use Netscape don't know about this. When I went to the Netscape website, I did not see any mention of this, and the people on the message boards were not talking about it -- only how they have just downloaded Netscape and any questions they had. Is there any info on how or when this will be fixed?

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2004/09/16
    Ramona

Hi Jeane,

No information yet, on when there will be a new Version of Netscape. I too noted that there was no mention of the Security Advisory, on the Netscape 7 NG. I have seen discussion on other BBS, however.

Ramona

5. 2004/09/17
    Ramona

Jeane,

I thought you might like to know that I did post a new thread on the Netscape 7 Secure Newsgroup, asking why there had been no discussion on these Security vulnerabilities. The Mozilla Champion blew me off, and this was his reply:
    O.K., so I could apply his philosophy to driving, getting out of bed in the morning, etc., etc., etc.

A couple of other users asked that the question be taken seriously, but I note that no further comments have been made.

snews://secnews.netscape.com:563/cicon6$2qi16@ripley.netscape.com

Ramona

6. 2004/09/17
    Westside

Westside Inactive Alumni

Ramona,
    I take seriously the warnings, but in most casess a vulnerability does not mean that you are under attack.
    In fact, I put a link in the Sillydog forum, mainly because of the hilarious translation(Google) of the original article in Italian. I can understand the original, but, basically, it reported that Mozilla is offering $500 to hackers who come up with a proven vulnerability. It is, essantially, an effort from Mozilla to get Microsoft off its butt, and address problems which existed before, but had not been addressed in a timely fashion.
    The moral of the stories: don't freak out, but beware that AOL could care less about Netscape. So, go with Mozilla. They will address their problems, but, if the incentives continue, there will be activity.
    Silly translation
    Had I posted this?

Last edited: 2004/09/17
  7. 2004/09/18
    Ramona

Hi Westside,

No you haven't posted the Italian article.

I thought it interesting that this CNET news article, also mentions Secunia, as related to the 10 Mozilla Security vulnerabilities: http://news.com.com/2102-1002_3-5368397.html.
    Thus, the new Releases of Mozilla, Firefox, and Thunderbird.

Ramona

8. 2004/09/18
    Westside

Westside Inactive Alumni

But, isn't the translation a hoot? A few samples
    "Fairies to pieces our software. The damages we pay them. "
    Translation of the translation: "Tear apart our software. We will pay you for the damages ".
    This refers to the "appeal" to hackers.
    I get so much more of the wackiness, though.
    By the way, I had no intention to make light of your advice. And Lee from the secnews forum was, effectively, expressing that there is no way to run a computer, safely. Vulnerabilities will be found, and, they may or may not be fixed, especially not by AOL.

Last edited: 2004/09/18
  9. 2004/09/18
    Ramona

Westside,

Yes, the translation is a hoot! I really did get a good chuckle out of the way it was totally messed up. I could hear Mozilla.org groaning from here. ;)

I understood the point Lee was making, but I was frustrated that I couldn't get a straight answer, and end result was no answer.

Ramona

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.